DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my old MX406 installed this weekend in the new car. When I turned it on it prompted me with "CODE"

I had never set a code on it so after debating I thought I would try something simple. 1234.. and it went into the tuner. I played around with it several times last night setting gains and such, each time it said CODE for a second, but went into the tuner or CD without a fuss on its own.

This morning on my way to work it played a CD for maybe 20 minutes and then ejected it on its own. When I put the CD back in everything except the volume control was non-responsive. I shut the headunit off and turned it back on.

Now it just flashes CODE non stop, and does not allow a code input.

I had a sad sad drive to work this morning with nothing but wind noise from a torn door seal to keep me company :worried:

Anyone have any idea how to reset this headunit, how the code got set to begin with, and HOW to make it go away?

If anyone happens to have a PDF of the manual for it that would be stellar too.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I already spoke with tech support over at Mcintosh. Although they are personable and very helpful the reset procedure they provided failed to work, and they said given the description of the behavior, and its refusal to even allow a code input.... that the code IC is bad and needs to be replaced.

$200 or so to send it in and get it done. Such BS...

·
Registered
267 Posts
What procedure did they recommend? The 1-1-1-2 thing?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Correct.

Verbatim:

1. Turn on unit. Display will read “CODE”
2. Enter the following code: 1 1 1 2
3. Turn the unit off.
4. Next press and hold the Eject button. While holding in the Eject button, enter the following code: 1 1 1 2
5. Release Eject button.
6. Disconnect battery to clear memory of Factory Default Security Code.
7. Reconnect battery.
8. Unit is now restored to full functionality. If consumer wishes to enter their own personal security code, please follow the instructions listed on page 29 of the Owner’s Manual.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Strange, I've had a very similar problem. Asks for code sometimes but plays other times. When it is playing only the volume works. Did they recommend you to George Meyer in L.A.?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Strange, I've had a very similar problem. Asks for code sometimes but plays other times. When it is playing only the volume works. Did they recommend you to George Meyer in L.A.?
You're correct, recommended me to George Meyer for a butt raping... $200 for the Code IC replacement, plus whatever else is wrong :rolleyes:

This evening I've been playing with it, one time it randomly decided to accept 1234, and play until I shut it off, at which point it bricks again. When it bricked I flat out can't enter a code. Buttons might as well be disconnected.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Did these things have a damn time bomb in them? Haha. Where did the $200 quote come from? Mac or Meyer? Initially when I talked to Meyer they said $60 minimum, I was expecting more than that but $200 would be disappointing. I'm actually shipping mine out tomorrow. It will take 4 business days to get to them. I can report back when they get me a quote but I really hope it won't be that high.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I spoke with Meyer today, they said $80 for the IC and $120 for the labor to change it. Any other adverse operation would run beyond that.

$200 to fix a useless feature that I don't want to begin with? Stupid....

·
Registered
267 Posts
Agreed, but damn what a great sounding head unit. I pulled mine out and put my premier 980bt back in... What a difference. I never would've believed it if I didn't hear the difference with my own ears. I hate that they don't do a flat rate repair, but I understand it too. I had a guy at my shop that did repair on pioneer units flat rate and there were many times he took an ass whooping for $45.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Definitely sounds great, I can't imagine how it would sound smacking against a brick wall and falling into a rubbish bin.... That's about where I'm at. 3 straight days running wire, building a box, amp racks, installing equipment... and nothing to listen to... but at this point I have $650 tied up in this HU, another $200+ puts it real close to a new one.

Mine is a 1996 manufacture. Its in mint condition otherwise.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Again, strange, mine is a 96 also. But it's not exactly mint and I have a lot less tied up in mine.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well after much back and forth fighting it this morning I decided to yank it out and box it up. Its on its way to them shortly... sigh.

iPod "source" in the downtime with a 3.5mm to female RCA cable going into the RCA's dangling from the dash lol.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Mine is on it's way to them now. I'm gonna miss it while it's gone.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just wanted to update this thread.

My MX406 has been with George Meyer since Jan 6th, they've finally obtained all the parts to repair it which they tell me includes the code IC and a complete face PCB replacement.

Cost of repairs including return shipping is $375, which when you take into account the $34 shipping to send it there, plus the $60 diagnostic fee that was paid up front... that puts me $469 in the hole.

$650 paid for it used (DOA from the seller) plus $469 = $1119.
New available online from $1099

Seller is telling me to piss off, and I'm outside the window for Paypal or Chase to render dispute assistance because I sat on the unit untested for too long before finding out it was junk.

FML.

poweraudio, have you faired any better or is your backside sore too?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'd like to say I have done better but I sent mine off around the same time and I still haven't heard back from them. Damn, that's an expensive repair.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For what its worth they keep mentioning another unit in there with "the same problem"

I assume its yours.

My condolences friend, I sincerely hope you get off easier than I am.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yeah, I'm sure that's mine. At least this gives me an idea of what to expect. Thanks for the kind words, and the heads up. I'll be sure to update the thread as soon as they get back in touch with me.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Did you have to contact them? They still haven't gotten in touch with me.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, it became an almost every day thing for me to call and check in with the tech there. Not until it came time for the monetary exchange did I start getting calls from them.

I got my MX406 back from them late last night, and got it back in the car this morning. It seems to be working just fine, but I haven't had much play time on it as of yet.

A few things though have left me a bit irritated about the whole thing though.

I had a rear support post threaded into the MX406 to grab the stock hanger at the back of the unit when it is installed in the dash. This helps with skipping etc as there is otherwise nothing back there but open space to hold the unit. This was swapped over from the stock BMW CD player. Its not on/in the unit any more. Not even sure why they would have removed it.

I specifically asked in writing on the same letter describing the malfunction symptoms that the MX406 be shipped back inside the original packaging I sent it there in, doubled boxed inside a normal box. I received none of this packaging back. Just a beat up previously used box (looks like someone else shipped there stuff to them inside this box) with some bubble wrap in it.

The front glass has a good deal of dust behind it, it did not have a spec of dust in there before! I cannot open the unit and clean it because they placed anti-tamper WARRANTY VOID stickers over the screws holding it together.

Now admittedly I can admit I have a reputation as an anal SOB, but I don't think anything noted above is unreasonable to expect not to happen...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts