DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a pair of Dyn MD102 on A-pillar. The passenger side one is pointing straight at me. The driver's side is about 20 degrees off axis. The right side is very bright compared to the left side. They are running off a pair of X-252 with both tweeters attenuated -2dB.

Is there anything that can compensate it? The only time I ever find it sound not bright is to roll off the top end. But with passive crossover and no active I am not sure how this can be achieve.

Also want to know if I can have both side's crossover at different settings, such that the passenger side at -2dB and driver's side on 0dB?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
1) re-aim the tweeter or totally relocate them
2) get an EQ or DSP
3) utilize what you have and play with the xover settings
4) play with dash treatments such as a dash mat

Is there something stopping you from doing what you want with your own equipment? :confused:

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
So I have a pair of Dyn MD102 on A-pillar. The passenger side one is pointing straight at me. The driver's side is about 20 degrees off axis. The right side is very bright compared to the left side. They are running off a pair of X-252 with both tweeters attenuated -2dB.

Is there anything that can compensate it? The only time I ever find it sound not bright is to roll off the top end. But with passive crossover and no active I am not sure how this can be achieve.

Also want to know if I can have both side's crossover at different settings, such that the passenger side at -2dB and driver's side on 0dB?

Thanks!
Did you try to reverse the polarity of your tweeters? + to - and - to +

Do one side @ a time and see which setting sounds best.

Kelvin

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The A-pillar pod is a stock location that I chose because it is easy to use. Anyway, tried reverse polarity and it is still the same. I am thinking about the extreme high frequency that the Dyn extends to-the manual says up to 23kHz-where the driver's side can't reproduce (roll off from 16kHz). That causes the brightness, I think. Have been using PXE-H650, sounds best when I use the Audyssey curve that rolls off at around 13-16kHz-no more harsh, sounds natural, etc.

And the tweeter is only bright on the passenger side. Not the driver's side.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
What kind of car? It sounds like some really nasty reflection issues to me. Brightness is not something that is normally complained about with these. It may not be a 20K issue (you probably can't hear 20K) but something much lower in frequency out of the tweeters that is reflecting and causing issues. Do you have a laptop? Can you downloand TruRta and get some idea of what is going on in your vehicle?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What kind of car? It sounds like some really nasty reflection issues to me. Brightness is not something that is normally complained about with these. It may not be a 20K issue (you probably can't hear 20K) but something much lower in frequency out of the tweeters that is reflecting and causing issues. Do you have a laptop? Can you downloand TruRta and get some idea of what is going on in your vehicle?
2012 Honda Civic. The stock location is that the tweeters aims toward the opposite side seat. So that's pretty much away from the windshield. The only thing I can think about reflection is the dash.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Actually you are always going to have off-axis reflections off the windshield. I also notice the dash hump on the drivers side that could be impacting what you are hearing from the drivers side. I really think you need some sort of RTA to see what you are hearing.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So you are saying that what I hear from the passenger side is closer to correct than from the driver's side? Hm...I don't know, but everytime I use automatic EQ, either from PXE-H650 or DEX-P99RS, as long as the output curve is not flat (selecting Audyssey curve with upper frequeny roll off, NOT high frequency compensation), I don't have the bright/harshness from the passenger side tweeter. That makes me "think" that it's the upper tweeter frequencies that's cauing problem, not the upper midrange causing it.

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
Easy to try. Listen to a song that makes you cringe when you hear it, then disconnect BOTH midrange from your passive Xover and re-listen to the song.
Still bright?

Kelvin

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't have time to try it out today. Will do tomorrow. Just try to get as much information as I can right now. If things don't work out I will drop the H650 back into the chain and see.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts