DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya, I have googled a lot and have not found any informative pages on this topic, I am sure they are out there but I have not found them...

Am I supposed to measure the speakers from the cone itself, or the base?

one screw to one end of these speakers, they are 6.5 inches. one side to the other side of the base, they are 6 inches. the cone itself is around four inches.

I hope my alpine 6.5's are going to fit without too much hassle. I suppose if they dont fit I could put them in the back without the tweeters for a bit of rear fill (tons of room there for spacers), and get smaller components for the front (I only care somewhat for staging, I was intending to run coaxials in the rear anyway) and I got them second hand so its not like I paid full retail for them before checking - I did check and measured by the base, but then I thought, why the hell would you market a speaker with a 4" cone or something as a 6.5" speaker :/

edit: lol, just realised, it sounds like im measuring my alpines, nope the pictures are off the factory speakers, the alpines are on their way. I didnt get these speakers thinking they were alpine type r's LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
welcome to the mysteries of car audio! You are learning fast.

The diameters are pretty standard. 6 1/2 5 1/4 6x8 and 5x7 (same) and 6x9
Use what is recommended for your car. Sometimes the magnet is too big to fit in the doors.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok dude... I know that much... My question is how is this measured?

I should be able to fit them depth wize, they have big neodymium magnets but they say on the specs they are only like half an inch deeper then the stocks

I am just confused weather the size that they are rated, be it 5.25" or 6.5"/6.75" is referring to the size of the actual cone itself, or the mounting hardware too

ty for your input

edit: also I have read in different places different things about the car - I have read a few places saying its 6.5", on crutchfield it says that they fit 5.25" inch speakers, measuring the stocks myself I have been confused about which dimension to measure so thats why I came here. As you can see in my photos, the width of the cone itself is 4.5 inches - which I know isnt a standard size - but I cant imagine how places would try and market a 6.5" speaker when it only has a 4.5" cone... I dont get it, seems like mis-advertisement. The width on the stocks from the widest part of the stocks available, the screw hole, to the other side is 6.5".

But the speakers should arrive tonight anyway, so Ill know by then...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, if anyone googles this and finds this thread and is looking for the same answer,

Turns out those speakers I attached were indeed 6.5" speakers, they had a 4" cone but my 6.5" inch components fitted perfectly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts