DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s up all. I’m in need of some help. I installed a mechman 370 in my 2018 f150. But now I’m getting the charging system light and my headlights are flickering even when everything is off in the truck. Also I connected my capacitor just so I could see the voltage and it constantly goes up and down from about 13.3 to 15.4 and never stays steady. I’ve been in contact with mechman and we cant seem to find a solution. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
What’s up all. I’m in need of some help. I installed a mechman 370 in my 2018 f150. But now I’m getting the charging system light and my headlights are flickering even when everything is off in the truck. Also I connected my capacitor just so I could see the voltage and it constantly goes up and down from about 13.3 to 15.4 and never stays steady. I’ve been in contact with mechman and we cant seem to find a solution. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
That's that fancy computer controlled charging.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are ways, I think you can reprogram the computer, but I have no specific knowledge on the matter.
Yea someone said they had it tuned to bypass that smart system but can’t find the thread again lol. Also someone said it you ground anything to the negative battery post it will throw that charging system light

·
Banned
2007 DC Tundra 4x4
283 Posts
I read something about some HO alts with smaller than stock pullies can sometimes screw with ecu s. I made sure the one I got had same size pully.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I read something about some HO alts with smaller than stock pullies can sometimes screw with ecu s. I made sure the one I got had same size pully.
You know what I never even thought of that. I was told I only had to change the belt. Thanks. I’ll try everything

·
Banned
2007 DC Tundra 4x4
283 Posts
It s been a while, but when I was researching amps I found out mechman amps do use smaller pullies so you get more amps at idle. I think that s why I went with DC Engineering instead.
That s DC Power Engineering.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It s been a while, but when I was researching amps I found out mechman amps do use smaller pullies so you get more amps at idle. I think that s why I went with DC Engineering instead.
That s DC Power Engineering.
Yea that makes sense I just figured since they told me use a smaller belt that would be fine. Maybe I’ll try to swap my stock pulley with the one on the mechman lol

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
You're talking a whole new tune as far as i know. The
Yea that makes sense I just figured since they told me use a smaller belt that would be fine. Maybe I’ll try to swap my stock pulley with the one on the mechman lol
Then the alt will not spin fast enough. The truck may even stall. You are gonna have to add another voltage regulator or bypass. Which is basically the same thing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You're talking a whole new tune as far as i know. The

Then the alt will not spin fast enough. The truck may even stall. You are gonna have to add another voltage regulator or bypass. Which is basically the same thing.
Bypass the charging system?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
No. You have to bypass or retune the factory voltage regulator. Right now its seeing super high voltage and is bucking that down. Then the alt thinks it has a load to it and pulls the engine down. And the cycle starts all over again. To negate all that a new regulatory system must be implemented. How that happens is gonna depend model of your f150. Detailed model. The engine. All the options you opted for. Its best to take it to a place that installs high end lifts. They will scan your truck and within a few minutes figure out what you need. Its a little much to figure out with second hand info. Through text.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No. You have to bypass or retune the factory voltage regulator. Right now its seeing super high voltage and is bucking that down. Then the alt thinks it has a load to it and pulls the engine down. And the cycle starts all over again. To negate all that a new regulatory system must be implemented. How that happens is gonna depend model of your f150. Detailed model. The engine. All the options you opted for. Its best to take it to a place that installs high end lifts. They will scan your truck and within a few minutes figure out what you need. Its a little much to figure out with second hand info. Through text.
Got it. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Got it. Thanks for the help.
What little help there was....its just a complicated issue that all these alternator companies act like isnt going to be an issue. But in reality keeps the alternator from doing anymore than your stock and sometimes less. What state are you in? We may a store there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What little help there was....its just a complicated issue that all these alternator companies act like isnt going to be an issue. But in reality keeps the alternator from doing anymore than your stock and sometimes less. What state are you in? We may a store there.
Yea I know. First thing they said to me was it’s not the alternator it’s something I did lol. Then it was every other part is broken. And I couldn’t understand how they have never heard of this problem before 🤷‍♂️ I’m in NY.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Also as soon as I put the stock alternator back in everything is fine
I'll tell you now... I called Mechman and the wouldn't even sell me a bypass which all in my car club should come with the 370 like i bought... so what I had to do was have a very talented person weld my 370 to the factory alt and use the factory alt for the truck only and the 370 to the system so they operate separately... that way the truck gets what it needs and they system is adjustable so I can use a alt vcm with the mechman and adjust it to what you need and/or want.. b careful as you can bust your amplifiers... I wouldn't go above 15.5 16.0 tops but I know ppl who have "borrowed" my orion 5K and put it at 18.0v and came in first with it so... use at your own discretion how you please. Personally I won't go above 16.0v because Orion underrates their amps and everything else so if it offers 5K at 14.4 and I give it 16.0, I'm getting about 9K... and I run 1 per hcca 15 so between the two on two 15's they are for sure seeing about 16K-19K and they handle it fine and pound the concrete hard af. So like I said I run 2 alts, a factory for the truck and a 370 dedicated to the system with the big 4, yellow top for the main truck battery, and 3 xs d7500's, and gotdammit if it don't destroy all I pull up to I don't know what will. Gas stations hate me, lil old ladies with nice china cabinets hate me... I bring down all fixtures I ride pass without being on full tilt. So.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts