DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I could not find a post here specifically answering my question. Any advise would be welcome, so thanks in advance! Here goes:

Just bought a used Memphis Bell amp and I am trying to determine if I can get by with just running one signal cable to run all 5 channels to aftermarket speakers. I have a 2008 Mazda Speed3 with the Blose 'audio system'. I planned on stealing a line level signal(s) (pre-amp) from the OEM HU to the Memphis. I want to keep the OEM HU, I am not interested in an aftermarket HU. So, the Memphis manual mentions this:

When there is not separate audio signal input for 5 channels
available, the subwoofer section of the amp will derive a summed audio
signal from the full range front and/or rear inputs automatically.
When there is a separate audio signal input provided for channel 5,
the automatic summing feature is defeated. In this case, the volume
source from the head unit or cross over will control channel 5.
independent of channels 1-4.
From what is stated above, it seems that I can indeed use just one signal cable?:confused: I also spoke with the guy that sold me the amp and he said he tried running one signal cable initially and everything worked, but the sub wasn't all that loud. Then he ended up running a signal cable for the front, rear and sub individually to solve his volume problem. The sellers statement makes me think that there is some defect with the amp? Dunno. :confused:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Looks like it would work fine.personally , I would get a eq with front/rear/sub outs and tap in the same way. Then you'd have the best of both worlds

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
do you plan to use a splitter for the front/rear channels or what?
No, I do not. The reason being, I am not 100% sure if there is a full signal from the Mazda HU for the front speakers channel. If I could confirm it was a full signal, it would be ideal to use the front and rear signals to the aftermarket amp and if there is a dedicated pre-amp sub signal from the blose system, use that for the sub, as well. The amp came with a remote bass level, so I can control the bass with that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts