DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Started the install on my CLK 500 this weekend. Working both days, on and off due to some rain, and with 4 trips to various hardware/tool stores, all I accomplished was getting the 1/0 power wire ran to the trunk :mad: I've done a few installs in my time, but this one takes the cake! This install is really making me appreciate the quality of Mercedes, but this is going to take me at least 4 or 5 weekends!! The amount of sound proofing in these things is crazy! I think I may have wasted my money buying sound deadener!! Nice part is that once you can get down to it, there are a couple HUGE wire chases that run the length of the car. Anyone ever work on a Mercedes before? Any tips or warnings?? BTW... I may have a box of Stinger Roadkill for sale soon. I'll keep ya' posted...

BTW... I've read that deadening the rear shelf might reduce SQ from the sub. Anyone with experience with this? Any suggestions on how I can maybe cover the deck with something to test it out?? Something quick and removable. Maybe put a blanket over the rear deck???

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I would love to do an install in a Mercedes or BMW, because sadly the gear I have deserves a better home! The quality of my car is just, well...nevermind:(

·
Registered
52 Posts
Since the late 90s I think installs on all cars but in particular German ones has been increasingly difficult. I could go on about the ****ty integrated radios everyone from MB to Subaru use but but just running power and signal lines is an incredible chore.

·
Registered
243 Posts
yea, its hard to get all the interior trim off and on again properly. So many interlocks. But the upside is that there are no rattles... things are rock solid!
As for the rear deck, My sub fires up into the cabin thru the OEM sub hole. I removed the foam under the rear deck, added soundprrofing to the cardboard...and gooped up anything that could rattle around.

·
Registered
72 Posts
HAHA, i am also currently building my 2005 CLK-500. I have yet to run the 1/0g wire yet or the 4 12g twisted pair speaker wires. But there are huge wire trays for it all to run in, now getting there is another subject. I have not found ONE single philips head screw in the car, nor are there any tradition bolts. Everything uses star bits. But good luck in your build.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Done installs in two older Mercedes. One C-class -97 and one 500E -93. Good thing about the C-class was that the battery already was in the trunk!

My VW Passat is quite easy to build in, the doorplates are a bit messy to dismount, you have remove locks, wires, the window and like 15 bolts. Other than that its suprisingly easy to work with. There's this 3x3 inch hole below the ECU, the cable drops down right over the brake pedal. Probably possible to run like 5 0gauge cables through ;)

·
Registered
239 Posts
I had an 01 class that I did a full system in.
I would work on mercedes over majority of cars. shoot you can do a cls55 amg full system, "amps that is" off of the factory stereo without even leaving the trunk.
Do you have a ski pass? if not your best bet is to cut out the metal behind the center arm rest. there will be a plastic cover that pulls out up top and then slides up that you can take of to expose the metal. rear decks are a pain in this car to take apart. door panels are pretty easy.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HAHA, i am also currently building my 2005 CLK-500. I have yet to run the 1/0g wire yet or the 4 12g twisted pair speaker wires. But there are huge wire trays for it all to run in, now getting there is another subject. I have not found ONE single philips head screw in the car, nor are there any tradition bolts. Everything uses star bits. But good luck in your build.
Hey Mark!! I got mine (mostly) done. Just need to clean up a few wires and reinstall the trunk side trim. Ya, those wire trays were a life saver!!! I found that I could do everything without removing the seats (thanks to a wire snake/fish tape.... whatever they are called). The trim panels took some time to figure out, but I managed to only break a couple of the push in snap tabs. Easily replaced thanks to Autozone! Running speaker wires was a cake walk, too. No Molex in the doors, just a nice big hole to snake the wires thru. I removed the foam tray above the spare tire, cut some wood to fit the trunk floor, and managed to squeeze two ARC amps in the spare tire well (without losing the spare). Now I just need to tweak the MS-8 a little more and I'll be set! Let me know how it goes for you!

Oh ya..... The only phillips screws I found were on a little piece of chrome trim that needs to be removed when the door panels come off! And trim removal tools are ESSENTIAL!!! Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds like me when i replaced the harmon kardon in my wife's bmw. getting into that car was a nightmare. was worth it in the end though. the germans know how to make a car quiet. i didn't need deadner either.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the germans know how to make a car quiet. i didn't need deadner either.
Tell me about it!!! I bought a box of Roadkill and I used only 1 sheet!!! The largest piece went on the license plate!! Used a couple of small pieces on the trunk lid and some on the rear quarters, too. Now I'm searching for places to use more!! I may use another quarter sheet or so on the rear deck, but honestly it really doesn't need it. I'm going to run some 0dB test tone sweeps in the next week or two and track down any rattles I can, but I don't expect to find many.....

·
Registered
338 Posts
I dont know, maybe its just years of installs, but I have a 2002 E-class and its not a real pain to work on. It took me a couple hours to get my HU swapped, signal and power ran, and all my prep to the rear deck for the IB install of 2-12's. My power needs are changing so thats all getting redone.

·
Registered
52 Posts
ran into a lot of these same issues as im building the Range Rover... NO phillips or flat heads. Mostly star head Battery compartment in the range rover is ridiculous almost have to take the hood off to change it out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
the 2012 passat is also a ***** to work on. factory speakers are rivited in place, everything uses allen head or star bits, no place to run power wire through the firewall ect. the trunk was very easy to dismantle however vw used sound deading very sparcely in the trunk and rear deck. i put a good bit on the rear deck without loosing any bass, course i do have a w7 so i could just be in overkill.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts