DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to build a modest system in my 1995 E320 Coupe, currently stock (and 20 years old). My priority is to have a "full, rich and detailed" sound at normal volume, no desire for high SPL. My music taste includes pop, country and classical.

I want to make use of the dashboard speaker mount locations rather than fabricate anything for the doors, therefore limited to the 120mm (4.75") driver size. Rainbow make suitable co-axial speakers which seem appropriate. Given the positioning of the speakers, would components make any appreciable difference? The mid-bass units wouldn't be mounted down low, so no particular need to raise the treble, however I wonder whether there's an argument for the "proper" crossover of a component set vs the overlapping filter in co-axial?

Regarding subwoofer, I'm curious whether there's sufficient space beneath the front seat for an under-seat slimline active subwoofer, or whether I'd be better off trying to mount a subwoofer IB in the rear shelf. Has anyone got any experience with these 124 coupes?

Many thanks,
Jeremy

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I dont have experience with the car although i do have an appreciation for the older MB coupes, i know where there's a 91 300CE i could get for a good price too.

I'm not sure if its possible but if you could build some kick panel enclosures for a 6" midbass on both sides that would help a lot. You could run whats called a wideband 3" or 4" in your dash location or a coaxial like the one from Rainbow. An IB subwoofer setup is possible, those cars are built well and normally fairly sealed off.

Can you post pictures of the interior and trunk to give us some ideas?

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,287 Posts
These get my vote for a 4" coax. You could actually CAREFULLY bypass the passive crossover in the coax and run them active from a processor.TEMPO 2-way / Coax « Morel What size speaker can go in your doors? And I would just IB a sub through the rear package shelf. However, depending on how much space you have there are a couple of slim woofers out there that are worth having. The Stereo Integrity BM12 is one of them. Needs .5 cu ft and is around 2.5" deep give or take a little.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.