DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a W211 CDI, and am looking at OE-type android head units. There are SO MANY OPTIONS, jesus. Is there anybody that can help navigate me thru what is what? I see there is an Avin, and the Dynavin, look to be the top 2 in terms of quality and published specs. I have an employee with a Dynavin though, and while it's supposed to be the bee's knees, his has been kinda useless, with supposed promises of software updates and features that he's never been able to use. Primarily looking for Android OS on the unit, so I'm probably NOT going to buy a Dynavin, but I am open to being convinced that I should.

Otherwise - how do you compare & contrast all the different brands? How do you know whats junk, whats not, and what the same thing as the fancy expensive ones with a lower price tag?

Main things I'm looking for: OE-look, Android interface. I need MOST & CAN interfaces, keeping stock amp for now. A camera or 2 would be nice, but not the end of the world. Quality pre-outs would be nice for adding subs next, possibly a front-stage amp upgrade as well at some point. Outside of that, I think the rest is just toys.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the first-hand account. I'm aware I'll need the CAN converter, and I know they work with the factory cluster & electronics just fine. What kind of issues did you have, and in what vehicle? Thanks.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The audio quality is horrible on ghe avinusa unit. I didn't try anything with the oem fiber signal. If i had the vehicle and could do it over I'd go through a shop. Bosch electronics make it very difficult to integrate stuff. I didnt end up doing any thing audio related to it other than the head unit.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well if you didn't use the MOST adapter and ran power to the stock speakers bypassing the factory amp, I can totally see why it would sound like ****. Not to mention that the factory mids are 2 ohms, tweeters are 8 ohm, and the center channel is a 1.5 ohm dvc. You were probably overdriving the **** out of the crap amp in that head unit. If you look at a wiring diagram for the system, it's actually a very simple system. MOST fiber connection from head unit to COMMAND amp, and 4 channels of speaker output, plus sub (if equipped) & center channel out from the COMMAND amplifier. Front tweeters have caps on them for crossovers and are spliced off in the door module.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Copied from my thread on Bimmerforums asking a similar question:

Well here are some things i learned from a thread on XDA, to help anybody looking at this later (since nobody else here is willing to provide any useful info):

Of all of the Android-based head units, the current generation of processors, the 4 or 8 core Rocketchip PX5. Next gen PX6 6-core is making it's way into the newest units, and that chip has an on-chip DSP. The PX5 units had 'optional' DSP, which was a daughterboard add-on. The PX6 setup is said to be superior. Also, the newest units are coming with improved amplifier chips. The PX5 units were shipping for a long time with a TDA7851 amplifier chip (which is the same or similar to what you're going to get from most 'mainstream' head unit manufacturer). Some of the newer PX6 units seem to be coming with a better amplifier chip that I can't find right now. I've read somewhere that some of them may be a class D mosfet.

There's been some discussion on low level white noise in the units with the add-on DSP daughtercard. There's virtually no additional volume to be had with the DSP added, since it's still running thru the same amplifier chip. However, the DSP card on the PX5 units has better quality DAC's with a much higher S/N ratio. So, small SQ improvements can be made. I've not found much for specs on the on-chip DSP of the PX6 processors yet

The XDA thread in reference: https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...p-com-t3803557

Amplifier chips: https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...9-5-ND/2214751

AvinUSA has a PX6 based unit, and waiting to hear back from Xtrons. I'll most likely be going with one of those 2 units. After asking around, I know people personally who've owned both, and neither have had any major issues with their units.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another quick update: Xtrons rep that responded to my email said they had a PX6 unit for my W211 for a short time, now it's discontinued, and there are no plans to move forward with another one. Looks like I'm mostly likely going to end up with an Avid.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Another quick update: Xtrons rep that responded to my email said they had a PX6 unit for my W211 for a short time, now it's discontinued, and there are no plans to move forward with another one. Looks like I'm mostly likely going to end up with an Avid.
I'm in the same boat and leaning toward tackling the upgrade to Avin for my 2005 e500 wagon
Also worried about lack of documentation and feedback

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
I believe I may have a new unit sitting in my inventory, will check this morning.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ya, the documentation doesn't bother me, but the lack of feedback does. Hence why I've done some extensive reading on whats out there, who's used what etc. The Xtrons & Avin both seem to be good quality units. The Dynavin seems to act like it's more audiophile centric with 4V pre-outs, but it's not Android and the support seems lackluster at best. And since it's not Android, you're kind of at their mercy as far as updates go.

Hard to stomach ~$700 to buy a Chinese head unit, but it is what it is I suppose.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ya, the documentation doesn't bother me, but the lack of feedback does. Hence why I've done some extensive reading on whats out there, who's used what etc. The Xtrons & Avin both seem to be good quality units. The Dynavin seems to act like it's more audiophile centric with 4V pre-outs, but it's not Android and the support seems lackluster at best. And since it's not Android, you're kind of at their mercy as far as updates go.

Hard to stomach ~$700 to buy a Chinese head unit, but it is what it is I suppose.
Are you going for it?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh. Ya, most likely. I've got a couple weeks until I get the car tagged and on the road, but once it is and I'm for sure keeping it I'll order one. I'm waiting on new injector nozzles to get here from Latvia, among a few other things.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Well thats the one I'm gonna get. Need both the canbus & MOST adapters. No reason not to pay the extra $30 for the DSP card. Thats $579, and I'll probably add front & rear camera while I'm there. I have a drawer full of bluetooth ELM's, so I don't need to buy their overpriced one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts