DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Hoping for some help deciding the equipment to use for my stereo.

I have a 2016 S class with the base stereo. I don’t think I have SQ ears and the stock stereo isn’t too bad. It doesn’t seem to distort even on full volume but I would like louder and clearer. The bass is a bit muddy as the volume goes up and I wouldn’t say it something you “feel”. I like a fair bit of bass to my music and plenty of volume.

The car has 4 inch components up front. I believe the space is fairly shallow. The oem speakers are about 35-40mm deep.

A pair of 8 inch bass speakers in each footwell. I believe these only really play up to about 250hz given location. They port into chassis and act like a sealed enclosure (I’ve read either 7 or 15 litres). They make drop in replacements for all Mercedes models except the s class, the mount etc is different and therefore easier to buy an 8” speaker and create a mount.

rear speakers are also 4 inch but don’t intend to touch those. Later on maybe and tie in with dsp as rear fill.

I have already from my old car an Alpine v9 amplifier, 5 channel, 4x125 and 1x550 wrms so intend to use that. I will take signal via a JL LOC22 which I also already have.

Later down the line I intend to get a helix dsp, either a M four dsp (10ch) with 4x100 wrms amp built in and use my current amp for the other 5 channels.
Alternatively a helix dsp pro mk2 (10ch) and another amp if I need more power to some channels and would run active front end.

I have been looking at the following;

4inch component
Ground zero GZCS 100MB
Focal IS MBZ100

anyone have any experience or could recommend which?

8inch mid bass/woofer
Audison AP8
Audison APS8D

If I fit the AP8 speakers I would need a subwoofer in the boot I presume.

I wondered could I fit two APS8D’s, they’re suitable I believe for the enclosure volume and I wondered if I would be able to negate the need for separate subwoofer if they would tie into the components in the door.

The reason I ask about using these subwoofers, I saw Audiofrog make some subwoofer/midbass woofers which have similar specs which are for this application. I’m not sure I want to spend that much so looked at these. I also saw a guy on here tie in his audison AP4s with APS8R subs under the seats of a bmw which is similar application.

· Registered
2,204 Posts
Cant make any suggestions but if you search the forum for builds similar to this or look for builds from professionals online you might find some good info.

I'd recommend doing the full install upfront with the DSP rather than piecemeal. Make sure you're deadening locations appropriately. Before installing the LOC make sure you can get a flat line out from the stock system.

No idea what drivers to suggest for a UK build. I would check out PS SOUND on youtube, might find some idea there but his installs are really high end.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cant make any suggestions but if you search the forum for builds similar to this or look for builds from professionals online you might find some good info.

I'd recommend doing the full install upfront with the DSP rather than piecemeal. Make sure you're deadening locations appropriately. Before installing the LOC make sure you can get a flat line out from the stock system.

No idea what drivers to suggest for a UK build. I would check out PS SOUND on youtube, might find some idea there but his installs are really high end.
Thanks for advice.
Yes I get what you’re saying about install in one go.
As for the flat line out, my car doesn’t have the amp in the boot so no fibre optic running there. I can put an oscilloscope on the signal (I know it’s full range) and dsp can hopefully sort the rest.
It was more the speaker choices I was struggling with. Will have a look around.
Yes I visited Peter at PS sound, his stuff is amazing. We did chat about possible ideas. I already said to him I will be using him to tune it after install. We originally spoke about infinite baffle but not sure now if I want to go down that route or not. Wanted to see what I could get from the set up in the car at the moment regarding speaker locations.
Thanks though

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.