DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a win 98 usb audio codec for the mic mate usb mic connector...no luck on the mic mate website...tried some searches...anyone?

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
win98? I think upgrading your OS would be easier than finding anything that supports it.
You would think that, I've been trying...not about to give microsoft a ****ing cent though so it is taking me a bit.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also tried running the room eq wizzard and I need a newer version of java than I can seem to get, and winmls activation takes a day...arrg I really wanted to use this thing tonight.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so last night I Got Windows 2000 installed, newest version of java and room eq wizard installed but I couldn't get room eq wizard to recognize my usb mic setup....I spent all night trying...any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Linux? Your current setup does not work so it is worth a try. Get the latest Ubuntu.
Can I run linux and win 2000 on the same machine? I know you can dual boot with windows os's. That's a good idea btw, thanks.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Can I run linux and win 2000 on the same machine? I know you can dual boot with windows os's. That's a good idea btw, thanks.
Yes, sure. The Ubuntu CD is a live CD, you can boot to it and take Linux for a test drive without touching your hard drive. If you like it, then you can install it from the live CD. Ubuntu comes with a nice disk partitioner, just make sure you have at least the following partitions:

• /
  • /home
  • /boot (a must for dual boot)
  • swap

You can do without the "/home" partition, but I suggest you create it to leave "/" alone. /boot can be 32 megs, swap double the size of your RAM, and split the rest 50-50 between / and /home. Alternatively you could boot from a flash drive if you have one that is big enough and your BIOS supports booting to it. I hope his helps.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you can boot to it and take Linux for a test drive without touching your hard drive.:eek::eek::eek:
Nice. Why would I want to deal with installing it? Are there limitations with the cd boot?
I almost had it fully downloaded at work but the modem got shut off with ten minutes of the 5 hour download left to go....:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Nice. Why would I want to deal with installing it? Are there limitations with the cd boot?
Yes, there are limitations. The main one is that you cannot write to the hard drive. This can be fixed but it is not practical. Once you boot to the live CD you will have an installation icon on you desktop, just click on it and go!

If you have something important on Windows BACK IT UP before you install Linux!!! Consider yourself warned. :D

One more thing, you will be able to see your Windows partition from Linux.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, there are limitations. The main one is that you cannot write to the hard drive. This can be fixed but it is not practical. Once you boot to the live CD you will have an installation icon on you desktop, just click on it and go!

If you have something important on Windows BACK IT UP before you install Linux!!! Consider yourself warned. :D

One more thing, you will be able to see your Windows partition from Linux.
It's a fresh install of windows 2000, I don't have a thing on it which works out nicely. I suppose I will want to save somethings but all I want to be able to do is get an fr measurement really, so I have an idea of where to set my eq.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
It's a fresh install of windows 2000, I don't have a thing on it which works out nicely. I suppose I will want to save somethings but all I want to be able to do is get an fr measurement really, so I have an idea of where to set my eq.
Well, save your stuff and wipe Windows. In that case go with the suggestions the partitioner will make. Once you are done with your measurements you could wipe Linux and put Windows back. But chances are that you will like Linux and just leave it there. :)

Make sure that you can find software to do what you want to do before you got that route. Windows software will not work on Linux unless you run something like WINE. But then that defeats the purpose of the Linux install.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Trying to get ubuntu installed....it's being a real pita...Had to download all 6xx megs of it 2x still can't figure out how to use the md5 files...ifrarecord won't recognize my burner....it goes on and on...**** I should have just bought a preamp...wtf.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Trying to get ubuntu installed....it's being a real pita...Had to download all 6xx megs of it 2x still can't figure out how to use the md5 files...ifrarecord won't recognize my burner....it goes on and on...**** I should have just bought a preamp...wtf.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Relax! Just need to download it once and burn to CD. The md5 is just a precaution but not a necessary step. Once you burn it just boot to it. You may have to configure your bios to boot to CD first, then the hard drive. It is really not that hard. :)

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Relax! Just need to download it once and burn to CD. The md5 is just a precaution but not a necessary step. Once you burn it just boot to it. You may have to configure your bios to boot to CD first, then the hard drive. It is really not that hard. :)
It's just really frustrating, had the beringger mic and the mic mate for days now and they are still not up and running even after jumping through lots of hoops...
Yeah I set it to boot off the cd rom....I got it to come up but then it would give me an error when I tried running it without installling....I'm at work and don't want to try installing it on this comp. I guess I'll try the 5 hour ubuntu downloadl again. Looking into getting xp as well, maybe that will take care of it.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What is the error?
Some I/O error. My guess is the disk was bad for the 2nd time. I got everything to work with room eq wizard on my friends comp running windows xp, so I am in the process of getting that now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts