DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After making the decision to stick with my OEM HU, and pick up an MS8, I am now trying to figure out what speakers to go with. I currently have some Arc mids and Vifa tweeters in the front doors, with a single 10" eD sub, all running off an Alpine MRV-F345.

I saw on another post somewhere about putting some mid-bass speakers in the rear doors. Would this be worthwhile? would it sound like garbage regardless of what the MS8 can do? If it would (possibly) sound good, what mid-bass drivers are recommended around $100. If it will not sound good, then I may put some components back there.

Secondly, I have an available space for a center channel. Problem is, that despite the grill being about 8-10" long and 3" wide, I think the speaker is 2.5" round. Any recommendations on what I can replace the stock one with? and would a center channel be OK running off the MS8 amp? Everything else will be running on separate amplifiers.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I use the MS-8 and have my 12" PA midbasses in my rear quarter panel/doors. The entire system sounds great. Impact is like nothing I have ever heard except for sitting next to drums. Scary and annoying sometins. The higher you cross the rears the more the sounds will get pulled back especially on sustained low notes. On most all music, crossed at 400Hz, it just feels like more ambience. A low sustained notes will sound like it is coming from the sides. I have noticed it only with cello and not on other instruments. My friends like that 'effect' alot. Fells like you are sitting in the band. I would like it too if I didn't know it was it was wrong and I was being bad for liking it. crossed at 300Hz all the sound seems to come from the front. But that will vary with your setup also.

My JBL 2204's cost $75 each, and I don't think they can be beat. But there are also excellent 10" PA midbasses like the Faitlpro W10N4-200. If you can't fit those I would got with an 8" like the JBL 2118 or the IDQ8. Smaller = less impact. You may disagree, but I will disagree right back.

For the center you need to look at the biggest speaker possible. I would think if you were inventive you could get 6.5 in there without too much work.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, unfortunately about the biggest speaker I can fit in the back is 6.5", I might be able to push 7", any bigger and I would have to modify the door card considerably. Do you know any speakers that would work at that size?

As for the center, this weekend I plan to pop the stock grill off and have a poke around to see how much room is in there. Fitting a 6.5 would be nice, heck, if I can even get a 5.25 in there it will be good. I might post some pictures once I get the grill off, especially if I can't figure out how to get anything larger in there.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
peerless SLS 6.5 (Very good in doors -$60?),

TB W6-789E 6.5" (Very efficient, no reviews -$46),

DIY cable's Exodus EX-Anarchy(these should be enclosed .25 ft - $65),
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/member-reviews-product-comparisons/107812-exodus-anarchy-midbass-midrange-before-after-review.html

The SLS are very very good in doors, but they do not play that high. So those maybe the best and simplest way to go. If you select car specific speaker you may end up spend alot more money for the same performance.

There are many, many more. You need to do a search. You will spend many hours reading.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, after posting earlier I found some information on the Peerless SLS. I might see if I can fit the SLS 8 back there first, I have plenty of mounting depth (I think 4" plus) its just whether I can get the speaker to fit behind the door card.

Just took a look at where the stock center is located, it looks like it will be very difficult to fit anything much bigger than 2.5-3" in there. While the grill is large, the speaker itself is very small. The defroster vents are directly in front of the speaker, with just the plastic from the vent separating them. To the side appears to be some other plastic that I can't quite tell what it is yet.

Annoyingly I managed to drop a torx bit straight down the defroster vent. Hoping it does not rattle around in there too much.

Even more annoying, is that all my plans may have to go on hold even longer, just got back from getting an alignment and need 4 new tires. Always something.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I heated my vent tube with a hot air gun and gently pushed it with a hammer handle until I had room for a 5" on the dash of my RSX. Post a picture.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts