DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am going to be moving from my current 2 way passive system(JL ZR650s) to a 3 way active system. I originally planned to go full Beyma mids and highs, but ever since my ZR woofers broke in, I have fallen in love with their sound and I have decided to keep them as my mid range and add the ZR800s as my mid bass drivers; I also will be using the Beyma AST09 3 inch super tweeter.

I have a 08 Tahoe. My current setup has the woofer in the stock location and the tweeter in the stock A pillar location. I plan to build an enclosure in my center console for my 8's(one firing to both the driver and passenger side/not in between the seats) and glass my doors to fit the tweeter, but I had a couple of questions regarding my midbass enclosure and my tweeters.

1. I am planning to build the enclosure to specs, but JL recomends A little over a cube tuned to 32hz per driver. That tuning seems a little low for a midbass driver to me. Should I stick to those specs?

2. Since I will still have my JL tweeters in the A pillars, my plan was to run those in order to raise my stage. Will I run into problems with that considering they're different tweeters or is it something I can overcome with eq?

As far as my mids, I often listen to my music with my subs off, so I wouldn't mind a mid that can play low comfortably.

Matt

Planned Setup/approximate crossover points:
- Pioneer Z120bt
- JL ZR800s(50-500hz/12db)
- JL ZR650(450-4.5khz/12db)
- Beyma AST09(4khz/24)
- JL ZR100CT(~5.5 or 6khz/24)
- Infinity Kappa 6.5 coaxial(rear fill)
- BITONE
- ZED Leviathan
- Powerbass XAX 4160

·
Registered
192 Posts
Quick question, why not stay with the JL tweets all the way around? I think you would be happier keeping it "all in the family" and will definitely run into less tuning problems. Those "super tweets" can get pretty bright. Time alignment will also be a slight issue having just the tweets in the pillars and no ability to tune them seperately from the doors. I own a 2010 suburban and am running dual 6.5s and a pair of tweets (DLS Gothias active from a leviathan as well)in the doors and I am very happy with the outstanding mid bass and staging right now. I haven't even added in a processor YET (I am waiting for a couple of them to arrive from over seas). The rest of the set up sounds good, try tuning the subs around 36hz or slightly higher than the suggested point to get a bit more "impact" out of them. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The reason I'm going with the super tweeter is I like the sound it produces alot better than the JL tweeter(It's a much more full sound, vice a bright sound from the JL). I'm pretty pleased with the JL woofer in the door. Thats the main reason I'm sticking with them.

My plan was to sell my 360.2 and get a cheaper XO that would allow me to crossover the JL tweeters(If I decided to run them) w/ a 24db slope, but i totally forgot about T/A. I may have to keep my 360.2 to run along with the bitone if i'm going to run the extra tweeters.

I usually tune my sub boxes low(28-32hz).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts