DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, yesterday I sat down in my car to listen to some music. I had a little issue while doing so. When I sat down, I noticed my stage was really biased towards the left side of my car. Upon further inspection, I came to realize my passenger mid was not playing. I was able to crank up the volume and get it to start crackling then it played with a raspy sound. It eventually "opened up" and sounded good. I turned down the volume and it eventually faded away again. I again turned it back up and it started playing just as it did before, starting off with crackling sounds at first. After letting it play at a decent volume for about 10 minutes, it stopped fading away at lower volumes. I decided to see if it was just some odd fluke so I let the system cool off for a couple of hours then retested it. It did the same thing after it cooled down. I turned up the volume after a minute of playing to get the mid to start to kick back in. It sounded static-y at first, then it started playing but it was very raspy. After a second or two at literally full tilt (62/62, there's a great thread on here somewhere that shows the 800/880 does not clip at full volume) it finally cleaned up and started playing like the C720PRS mid I used to know. I didn't turn it back down to see if it'd fade into oblivion again, like it did last time. I replicated the issue and that was enough to piss me off for now. Any suggestions on what may be causing this? I have a few ideas, but I'm not sure. I'm thinking that either that channel on my HU is going out, the channel on the amp is effed, my RCAs suck (double twisted/shielded Rockfords, about 5 years old), the speaker is on it's way out, or my speaker wire is pinched somewhere along the line. I'm feeling I can eliminate the speaker wire because nothing else is moving on the car to make/break contact with the wire; it was in the ACC position in my garage. I'm a little afraid to test my RCAs because I'd really hate to blow my pico fuse.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Erik

·
Registered
54 Posts
Do only one change at a time. Here are a few things you can check easily:

a) Switch speaker inputs on your amp. If the left channel output makes your right speaker sound great, then you may have a bad wire.

b) Switch your rca's from left to right channel to see if the left speaker sounds poorly. Amp may be going out or rca is dying ( highly doubt rca is going bad).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly, I'm slightly confused as to what you mean with test A. I will flip-flop RCAs tomorrow to see what happens. That can narrow it down a little for me. If I switch them and the driver side mid plays as the right mid did, it's either my RCAs or the HU. If the passenger mid continues to play poorly, it's either the amp, speaker wire, or the mid itself. Where would you recommend testing from there?

·
Registered
54 Posts
To see if the amp has a faulty channel, switch then wires on the amp. I assume you are using left channel on the amp to power the left speaker....use the left channel to power the right speaker to see if the right speaker performs correctly. This will eliminate the wire being pinched or not connected correctly.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If neither of the 2 choices work that I mentioned, you could always swap your speakers. Then you would find out if you have a bad speaker. Or take your right speaker into your house and play it obn your home system to see if it cuts out etc.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, I catch your drift. Last night I was all pseudoephedrine-ed up because of this killer head cold I've got. I'll try and see if I can get out there today at some point between writing a 500 word research paper on the Midwest Clean Diesel Initiative, running errands for my dad, and doing an online test for my organizational behavior class. The speaker will most definitely not be coming out of my car anytime today for me to test it inside. I'll let you know how it goes after I perform those checks on there.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Fail. It didn't do it at all today. I think it's too warm right now. It's in the lower/mid 60s right now. I think it was in the 40s when I experienced the issue. Do you think temperature could be the culprit of the issue?

EDIT: I take that back. The right mid cut out on me. I swapped the RCAs at the amp and now I can't get it to replicate the issue with either mid. I wonder if I had a bad connection with the RCA and unplugging it and plugging it back in fixed it? I'll keep this updated as in probably going to be messing with this on and off all day now. Homework is for good students. Audio is infinitely more important.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think it's in your speaker wiring. Either it's the wire is barely attached to the speaker or a short in that speaker wire.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think it's in your speaker wiring. Either it's the wire is barely attached to the speaker or a short in that speaker wire.
Should the same speaker cut out again, I'm going to wire it to another channel on the amp to see if it's that channel on the amp or the wire/speaker. I'm most definitely hoping for wire. That's the cheapest fix.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, after about an hour of playing it with the RCAs crossed, I was unable to get either mid to cut out. I wonder if it was just a bad connection with my RCA? I'm going to stop messing with it for today. Hopefully it'll be a little cooler the next couple of days so I can see if, for whatever reason, temperature had to do with the issue. Maybe it's fixed now too. I'll just have to make sure the RCAs are connected well (which I thought they were in the first place) if I can't replicate the issue. Also, if anyone still has any other suggestions/opinions/facts/something to say about it, let me know. I'm all ears at this point still.

Thanks again,

Erik

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have seen in 1 occasion when it was cold outside the tweeters would not play until the car was warmed up then they played fine. Come to find out this was caused the ferrifluid in the tweeters was frozen and not playing. Very unique problem.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a set of Focals in my car that had liquid cooled tweeters. They had to warm up before they played well. I've never seen the fluid freeze though, but then again, I probably never attempted to play them when my car was extremely cold.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, it's been cooler here all day today. I think we only had a high of 50. Anyway, I was unable to replicate the issue. I swapped the RCAs back to their normal position and still, no issue. For now, I'm going to live with the assumption that it was a loose RCA connection, however that may have happened. Then again, the idiom may prove true: you know what happens when you assume...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To resurrect an old thread, the issue has something to do with the amp when it's cold. My MRV-F345 in my Jeep does the same thing that the one in my car does. I'm active in there too and only one of my mids cuts out. I believe, I'd have to double check on it though, that channels 3 and 4 are my mid channels on both amps. I don't know which is for the left and which is for the right on either one. In my car it was the right mid; in my Jeep it's the left mid. My car hasn't had the issue since I attempted to study it in October, however, my Jeep has had the issue every morning this week. It's been in the upper single digits to lower teens for the majority of the week. I guess my question is, has anyone else had this issue with an MRV-F345, now that I have two of them that are giving/have given me the same issue?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts