DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys!

Need your inputs on my project.

It's always been my goal to install a 3-way system on my car but now that I'm about to do so, I've been presented with a dilemma as the mid-end 3-way system would cost more-or-less the same as a high end 2-way system

Specifically, I'm thinking of either the Focal ES 165 KX3 vs the Focal 165 W-RC.

What do you guys think? :confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
772 Posts
I have not used any Focal speakers, but I will say this.
I went 3-way for the first time not too long ago. Cheap stuff. Then I went 3-way with better stuff. And even with my crap tune and junk source and processing I had, it was STILL better than any 2-way I have ever had.

I have better stuff now, and recently, just for kicks, went back to 2-way. Nope. No way. Lasted maybe 5 minutes. Went right back to 3-way. I'll never run 2-way again.

·
Registered
19,527 Posts
to many variables. will still mostly come down to install and tune. that said if you can nail both, id pick 3 way. if you cant nail both, two way

Reactions: MaSsIve

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
3 way ususlally sounds better once dialed in, but as said above, install and tune comes into play heavily once you make that jump

Reactions: MaSsIve

·
Registered
921 Posts
Id keep my eye in the classifieds, some crazy deals pop up from respected members. Save a ton of money and be high end if need be. :)

...but I agree on the 3-way if you can swing it.

·
Registered
9,258 Posts
A 2-way can absolutely sound as good as a 3-way, so if your goal is based on the idea that a 3-way is superior, you should reconsider. As mentioned installation is something to consider, if you are paying a shop they will charge more to do the 3-way. Personally, since it doesn't sound like you'll be going active and have the ability to tune, I would go with a solid 2-way. Installation will be easier and cheaper, and since you can't control the 3-way like you would in an active setup, I don't think the trade off is worth it.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I just installed the Focal 3 ways in my front doors and 2 ways in my rear doors.

In my opinion, it is car dependent. I am no expert but, if I can get 6.5" to around my leg level than I will consider it. But if they are at my ankle level, I normally prefer 3 ways.

And don't worry, I didn't go fully active in my system either because I wanted to go 7.1 surround sound. And to me it sounds awesome.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...exus-lx-470-landcruiser-finally-finished.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
will you be doing the install yourself? or having it done by a qualified installer?
I'm having it installed by a qualified installer. EMMA Champ at our place for several year running so I have big expectations from the guy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

A 2-way can absolutely sound as good as a 3-way, so if your goal is based on the idea that a 3-way is superior, you should reconsider. As mentioned installation is something to consider, if you are paying a shop they will charge more to do the 3-way. Personally, since it doesn't sound like you'll be going active and have the ability to tune, I would go with a solid 2-way. Installation will be easier and cheaper, and since you can't control the 3-way like you would in an active setup, I don't think the trade off is worth it.
Thanks for the great input!

Yeah I should have clarified that I'm planning on going full Passive only with my setup. One of my hesitation's is also the slight blind spot caused by the installation of the mids on the A-Pillar for the 3-way setup whereas there would be none for the 2-way.

So the difference between a passive 3-way and a 2-way would not be much, in your opinion? 3-way would definitely cost more as on the amp alone, the KR3 would be alot more expensive already as it would require its own 4 Channel amp.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have not used any Focal speakers, but I will say this.
I went 3-way for the first time not too long ago. Cheap stuff. Then I went 3-way with better stuff. And even with my crap tune and junk source and processing I had, it was STILL better than any 2-way I have ever had.

I have better stuff now, and recently, just for kicks, went back to 2-way. Nope. No way. Lasted maybe 5 minutes. Went right back to 3-way. I'll never run 2-way again.
May I know if you went full passive on your setup as well and used a DSP?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.