1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, currently im using these....

Vifa XT25SC90-04 1" Dual Ring Radiator Tweeter 264-1014

and....

Vifa 3.5" Speakers.M&K.MP6 Woofers.Home Audio Pair.Mids.Kreisel Replacements. | eBay

for the time being im using a set of older diamond hex crossovers but i have a feeling the points are too low. was listening to some rock music today and the tweeter seemed to be bottoming out a little.

i was reading about crossing these over around 3-4k? please let me know what you think.

btw, as they are now, they sound really darn good!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hmm, thread got moved.... ok, no big deal.

anyway, here's some pics of what im working with. still have to wrap them, but for the time being i threw some black spray paint on there. they are aimed at the dome light and are as perfectly symmetrical as i could get them. they image pretty well and im really pleased with the way they came out, especially since it's my first time with a-pillars. i just need to figure out the proper x-over point for these!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Well, where are they crossed right now?
If there breaking up with volume raise the crossover point a little at a time untill they sound good agian

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im not entirely sure. from what i've gathered, the hex crossovers i believe are 1800 and im not sure if that can be changed.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I know this doesnt help answer your question at all, but those look very very nice. I like how they are actually somewhat low profile. Very nice job on that.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
im not entirely sure. from what i've gathered, the hex crossovers i believe are 1800 and im not sure if that can be changed.
Ok, so how would you raise it to the 3 or 4000?
Not understanding what you plan on doing.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks pjc, i will post pics later in the build log section when they are finished.

@thomas.... i was saying that i think my hex xovers are fixed in appx the 1800hz area and that i/we thought that was too low. so, i was asking what a good xover point/slope would be for these two speakers, and if anybody had any particular recommendations on a product for me?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
btw, these could not have been if it weren't for the tweets that pjc donated (sold) to me; he's a gentleman and a scholar, i say!

·
Registered
220 Posts
You can't really change the crossover point on the passives...

That would require swapping of the internals of the crossover, which isn't good.

Your only option is getting new crossovers, making new ones, or going active.

If you had the tools you could get a response graph to see what's going on up high. Maybe your amp is running out of juice and that's why they start breaking up, too. Just a guess...

An active crossover would be what you need if the crossover point would end up to be the culprit. That or an active-capable headunit or amp.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
if you are have problems with the passive xovers, go active and raise the xover point. Try something like 2.5kHz 4th order slope?

BTW nice dash/pillars as well

·
Registered
5,830 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
its not a switch "either/or" or rule in concrete that you have to set those frequencies...it depends on what sounds best and if the driver can handle it based on power, listening levels, and the drivers they are paired with
Those are the lowest recommendeds. You can go higher, but lower isn't recommended. I got the #s either from Zaph's site or DIYAudio. I forget which.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks guys, i was hoping to get them crossed around 3k, but lr2/lr4 numbers.... are those slopes?

and, since i won't be going active, at least not for awhile, is there a passive you recommend that would do this?

oh, and my system consists of.... h/u- eclipse avn6620. amp - massive audio rs25.4. eq - audiocontrol eqx. maybe that will help

1 - 16 of 16 Posts