DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been answered before (but that's what this forum is for, right?) but I'm debating between a couple of mounting locations for midrange drivers for my car and I figured I would ask for someone's assistance for my particular situation.

I'm currently using a old, cheap VT Technologies component set for my front stage. Along with this I have a pair of ancient, RF Series1 8" "subwoofers" mounted in .3 ft^3 boxes which are in the rear passengers feet area and firing towards the front seats. I have A LOT of amplification available and A LOT of filtering available.

The component set appears to be re-badged vifa-components but they are 5.25" treated-paper woofer and a 1" silk dome tweeter. The tweeters are in the pillar and I liked them most on-axis. Currently the tweets are crossed at 4k. Currently my 5.25's run from 150-4k and I don't like them - I'm afraid that their response suffers tremendously over 3k or so. So, I'm looking to use my old Audax 4" drivers as a dedicated midrange while keeping my 5.25" door speakers as a high midbass (100-400 Hz or so). So all this leads to the big question, where would these mids be best placed? I wanted to put them on the dash, but I don't really want to cut into the dash and putting enclosures up there for this heavy duty speaker may be tough. The other choice may be a makeshift kickpanel location. I don't really have the room to make a full-blown kickpanel but I can arrange some sort of enclosure in this area. I don't and wont have any time-alignment available and have limited EQ'ing (10-band quasi-parametric with separate L & R adjustment). So with these limited resources what would be the easiest location to tune?

·
Registered
64 Posts
"Sounds" to me that going with a simple kick panel location would be best suited for space requirements. If you don't want to go with a complex fiberglass enclosure, I recommend strapping/mounting a MDF baffle to the kick panel location and finding a plastic pod to seal the back wave of the mid.

Canton Pullman components used this type of enclosure with their mids and had great results.

Hard to see, but the plastic pods are in the far left of the photo, they have white fiberfill and tweeter trim rings in them...hope this gives you some ideas.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm just a little worried about running my mids to 4kHz when they're down that low and my tweets are at eye-level. Any tricks to alleviate this?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts