DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm pretty sure place the mids/highs at dash height and on-axis as possible is always a good idea when looking for a nice frontstage stereo image.

But... Placing that freqs at kicks will really screw the frontstage?

I've been planning a simple SQ system for a while, and up to now, I think to play 10" midbasses under seats (80-150Hz), and 5" point source speakers (Morel integra's or Kef Uni-q's) for mid/high, but since I'm try to make a Stealth Install, I was wondering if place them at kicks, on axis with driver position, could be a good idea.

Could this work? Should I go for another route? Any advices?

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I would go with pillars or sails,....sails could be a little too small for install of 4 inch or bigger mid, and with all processing option it shouldnt be a problem. This way you will get high and wide stage with lots of details. Drivers in Kicks are obstructed with your and passenger legs and center console, usually lower stage

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Before DSP's were around to "fix" our audio problems, kickpanel placement was very prominent on the SQ scene.

Reactions: atheos

·
Banned
2,276 Posts
If you have to go to the pillar to get eye level staging you are doing it wrong.

Reactions: Mic10is

·
Premium Member
6,046 Posts
A lot will depend on your car. If you drive a BMW 3 series, your ass is practically on the floor of the car, and your ears are low.

I drive a Mazda CX5 and my head is easily a foot higher than that.

Reactions: ANDRESVELASCO

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A lot will depend on your car. If you drive a BMW 3 series, your ass is practically on the floor of the car, and your ears are low.

I drive a Mazda CX5 and my head is easily a foot higher than that.

I drive a VW Jetta, and my ears are just at center betwen dash corners and kicks.

Could this setup works?

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
If the driver seat sits close to the floor
Like a Honda or Toyota sedan KICKs unless you like combfilters

If it's a upright SUV on axis (firing streight forward for good stage depth and width) is optimal for a pillar
Tow in only for cosmetics , as least as possible. But that's just me (and all the asians)
But sacrificing bad interference issues for height. I personally like height and don't care too much for width as long as it's not completely collapsed,

Just a suggestion tho , grain of salt

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
I drive a VW Jetta, and my ears are just at center betwen dash corners and kicks.

Could this setup works?
in my 2013 Jetta...kick panel install with GB25 speakers did exceptionally well. Even when I blew a tweeter and played the GB25's all the way up to 20KHz, the imaging didn't suffer at all.

·
Registered
391 Posts
If you have to go to the pillar to get eye level staging you are doing it wrong.
I am very interested in this. I have no room to move the tweets up into the pillar or dash area. Just received the Audiofrog UMI-1 and will start tuning soon. I assume it has to do with the delay. Running a TWK-88. Anything prominent to look for when I start setting it up?

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Where did you place the tweeters in thatcher setup?
The tweeters were in the A-pillars. But once I damaged one I ran Tweeter-less. The stage was about a third of the way up the windshield with the GB25s in the kicks down to 300Hz and the GB60s playing down to 80Hz in small sealed enclosures under the seat. The speakers gave zero hint to their location with eyes closed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts