DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a 3 way active setup, could you use a 5 channel and run the midwoofers from 60-250hz on the mono channel? Or is this a no-no?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Actually, the speaker cops will site anyone caught trying a system setup like that. You can buy a monthly pass that makes it legal but you have to answer the questions, which are: is it recommended? and is it worth the loss?
Answer both correctly and I can sell you this extra pass that I have. Hella cheap annual rates available with approved credit.

·
Banned
1,623 Posts
In a 3 way active setup, could you use a 5 channel and run the midwoofers from 60-250hz on the mono channel? Or is this a no-no?
You could, back in the early 2000's I remember hearing about people using Xtant mono amps on each of their midbass. I would think that it would sound kind of hollow though.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
You could, back in the early 2000's I remember hearing about people using Xtant mono amps on each of their midbass.
A mono amp on each mid would still mean a stereo system. It is possible to do what you wish, but results would depend on the crossover points required for the drivers, if the midbass run off the mono have to cross fairly high into the mid range then I shouldn't think it's work too well-but you could prove me wrong by trying it!

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
By wanting to run active, it kinda shows you want the ability to tweek crossovers, level match, possibly TA if available, etc...
I'd assume for the goal of the best possible imaging, sound stage, and the like ...right?
There is a lot of stereo content in the mb frequencies, depending on where they are crossed, and having them running mono will affect your sound stage. I wouldn't recommend it if your going for optimal results. A better solution would be running the mid and tweet passive, and the mb active if you want a single amp solution. Or, add a dedicated mb amp.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
You can locate source of sound on a lateral plane ~70hz and up. On a vertical plane it's about 2khz.

If you're just after tonality, a mono midbass while not ideal, would not really restrict you. It would hurt the imaging way more, in case you wanted both.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies, guys. I am going to go with my original plan of tri-amping.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts