DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, in the process of putting together a decent mid budget sq system for my 98 Grand Prix. Currently have a pair of Infinity perfect 12.1vq subs, slightly older kenwood excelon deck, Planning on a JBL MS-8 or switching to a pioneer DEH-80PRS so I can run my Focal PS165 front stage active. I Love Tight, clean and punchy bass, That in your chest feel when a drum is hit etc. Thinking of a pair of 6x9s in the rear deck to give me some of that tight midbass I crave.. but I want your opinions on what speakers to use, whether to go IB or create some kind of enclosure for them or if I should switch to either separate 6.5" drivers in the rear deck with an adapter etc. or do I need them up front to give me that kick? Suggestions on crossover points for midbass? While I have been building basic systems for years, this is my first "higher end" build and I want some advice on how to do it right the first time... Currently have a spare infinity kappa 102a amp to run the rears whatever I decide to run. front 6.5's will be run with another 102a and the tweets on a 54a. May switch to a planet audio 754 tube amp if the budget allows..

Secondary question, with regards to damping.. Planning on getting a 20sq ft pack of alpha damp... where do I need to concentrate most of my damping? Will that be enough? (says it works the same as 80sqft of other products) Thanks again for your insight and suggestions.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No input from anyone? Possibly selling the focal ps165s and getting a set of zapco rh-16 components for the front doors... anyone have these? How are the mids /midbass?

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
1) If you want a "surround/ambiance" type sound go with the JBL MS-8 and rear speakers
2) If you want a fully active frontstage, go with a the 80PRS and ditch the rear speakers
3) If you want rear mounted midbass to sound like they are coming from the front, you need a different processor to alter the delay and preferably a L-R signal

I actually here those Zapco/ESB components are pretty nice, both the midbass and the tweeters

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1) If you want a "surround/ambiance" type sound go with the JBL MS-8 and rear speakers
2) If you want a fully active frontstage, go with a the 80PRS and ditch the rear speakers
3) If you want rear mounted midbass to sound like they are coming from the front, you need a different processor to alter the delay and preferably a L-R signal

I actually here those Zapco/ESB components are pretty nice, both the midbass and the tweeters
Could the MS-8 do #3? or perhaps with the zapco's and properly deadened and sealed doors I won't need any additional midbass? Sometimes have passengers in the back that might want to hear too another reason I was thinking of rear speakers too but I do know that it seems most sq systems do not bother with rear fill speakers.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The DEH-80 PRS has time allignment. I had a midbass deficit for so long even with morel elate woofers. What I did was build a sealed box under my seat and put in a dynaudio mw170, and let me tell you it is incredible.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
With the little 6.5s up front you might try playing the sub higher, 80-100hz to help the midbass out. The pair of 12s is going to play that range easier and have more punch than 6x9s in the deck. My 15s have incredible punch when played high, the only reason I don't play them past 100hz is it gets hard to blend with the front stage, they're localizable. If I wasn't concerned with the stage and just wanted to have an incredibly dynamic and punchy system I would be running the subs higher. I have 9" midbasses which helps as well, but you're set on the 6.5 Focals, right? I'm not saying its necessary to have larger midbasses but it makes a lot of things easier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts