DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts
I wouldn't know anything about that stuff driving an economy car and all...

...just saying.

If you look back in some of CA&E articals their were several cars from the late 90s and early00's that used midbass and even mids mounted to the floor in front of the seats. I think one even won its class at IASCA finals one year.

rawdawg, i purchased that car when the economy was good, i'm selling it when the economy is bad :(

PJ's used to do florr mounted mids too. I have a buddy who used to hang with those guys when he was in Ohio, some of you might have heard of him- Ron Buffington. He said the floor mounted stuff sounded good but lack some low level detail compared to other mounting locations like the kicks. But they were using the speakers in the floors for midrange duty too. With midbass only, you might get by that problem. But it seems like you are, or will be listening to reflected sound more than direct sound.

I wouldn't do floors if you were going to put anything smaller than an 8 down there. Just my opinion.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
ok i understand, well its goin to be trial and era any way it goes, i'll go over to Speaker works and see if i can pick thier brains on this type of install and how to make it sucessful for my intentions. Raw whats the volume your giving the Dyns? not that I'm goin to use them just trying to get some ideal of what I'm working with volume wise.

Couple of questions.
1. How long did it take them to install the midbass speakers on the floor?
2. Are those 6.5", 7" or 8" midbass speakers?
3. Is that an actual box that they put it in and then somehow stuck it on the floor?

Oh by the ways I am referring to the first group of pics with the car that has the gray carpet with a black box going on.

Thank you.

Depending on the car, you may not have to cut anything. My floor enclosures consist of 4 pieces of mdf, no bottom, massively caulked to the floorboards. If need be, I can remove the enclosures with a carpet knife and some elbow grease. I did cut the carpet for the speakers and there is a super heavy duty Black ABS speaker grill on it. That thing has paid for itself a week after the install. For competition, the ABS will be replaced with a standard grill.

The enclosures do not interfere with my shifting. I can't feel them there unless I crook my legs back during Cruise Control runs.

By the way, Speaker Works installed my first system.

BigRed has actually cut into his floorboards but he has a Monster Truck and those cabins have air space behind them. It makes for a really nice fitment.

If your car can handle floor enclosures or floor mounting, it may be a way to go. The location makes it way easier to handle vibrations/buzzing/rattling.

Good luck in whatever you eventually go with...

Hello ebrahim,

1. I don't know exactly how long it took as the job was spread across 4 weekends. And the installer had things to do with his family while he had the car. Someone who had the right tools could probably bang out both enclosures in an afternoon.

2. They are Dynaudio MW170's and are spec'd at 8" give or take a hair. They are also 3" in depth. They are not in an airspace anywhere close to what I've been told that a Dyn needs to sing. But they accomplish their intended job.

3. It is nearly a trapezoidal box. There is no bottom to the enclosure as the actual floorboard serves for that purpose. It is silicon caulked to within an inch of its life to the floorboard. Come to think of it, it might not even have a rear wall.

Some day, I'll get the install pics and put up a build post.

I am using the Rockford Fosgate 360.2 processor for all my EQ/Crossover/Time Alignment needs.

I am running a set of dyn 220 with both the mids and tweets in the floors. It sounds very very good. I had my friend do the same system in his corolla and we were able to place 3rd in last year's EMMA. We just got docked big time on subbass. Our imaging and staging scores were near perfect. Width in this kind of install is abit narrow...only pillar to pillar. When you go floor, it is really hard to go back to any other kind of install. Tonal balance is very good even without eq...and you can really forget using t/a because of the very small pathlength difference. It's hard to go kicks because you cannot really predict how much airspace you have behind the driver. With a floor mounted setup...you can contour bass response with the enclosure and that is prior to using any EQ.

Big Red,

PM me your email address...I'll send some pix of my floormounts. My friend's car has the better looking install...I hope I could get some pix of his.

BTW, I've tried floormounts in 2 cars of mine...98 Lancer and a 01 civic. It never fails to impress. The midbass from the dyn 5 is awesome. It can beat any mid mounted in a door or kickpanel I've heard. I've tried the dyn mw160...it has too much bass for me and upper midrange detail is not as good as the dyn 5.

In My 07 civic, I plan to go 3 way with the mids and tweets in the pillars and the midbass on the floors. I hope it could improve on the width and height of the stage.

Ditto on the pics.

My rear panels could totally fit a 10 or 12. And, it just so happens to fall in the "Circle of Confusion!" But I wouldn't know where to put my 4 inchers since my horns take up the space under the dash... ;)

I was just thinking... if I put an extra set of smaller Midbasses in the door about 6 db down, would I be able to get a wider stage?

Just musing...

Big Red,
Did he ever send the
pics of invecs floormounts or his friend's car has the better looking install...I hope you still have them you don't mind sharing trying to see pics bugs me that I can't imagine how it looks without pics please share or at least a drawing on how it look which side is the tweeter on how it's shape he says a variovent on bottom so is it thru the car floor is it angled or firing straight up alot to wonder hopefully I can see it soon thanks again

21 - 40 of 44 Posts