DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've finally decided on a midrange and tweet for a 3way active setup. Audio frog Gb10 + GB25. But still open to the midbass in the door panel. Options are (current morel tempo ultra 6x9) focal 8wm, focal 6wm, audiofrog gb6, or another midbass that I havent mentioned.

2018 f150 supercrew. OEM head unit to navtv zen a2b, optical to helix dsp ultra, rca to mmats 6x150/mmats 600.2 / helix c four. C Four will run a-pillar and sail panel midrange and tweeter. Mmats 6x150 will run midbass front and rear doors and center channel (AF gb10+gb25) mmats 600.2 will run focal utopia 10wm.

If I get the itch to change in the future I may splurge on the focal utopia tbm and 3.5 to replace the audio frog midrange and tweets. (Center channel will remain as AF gb10+gb25)

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
What are your goals with the midbass

Responce , bandwidth, where are your acoustic problem areas, how far away is the midrange mounted, etc

Than we can help you, otherwise the color of the gb60 will match what you have , and with 9mm linear xmax the gb60 isn’t going to let you down.

The Ms are excellent with off axis responce
Arguably the best made. Won’t play is loud as others, but they have big VCs like a dyn which will allow them to go loud but not as much excursions.

More info ?

·
Registered
504 Posts
IMO, Focal tweeters are for people who like really loud sharp tweeters. I would keep Audiofrog or use Morel tweeters over the Focals. You might like them tho.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
21-22inches between door midbass and a pillar midrange.

I haven't installed yet..still need the c four, gb 25 GB 10 and a pillars. Not quite there yet..but hopefully soon. The morel tempo ultra 6x9 will play midbass role for awhile. If I'm satisfied with it after tuning..I'll keep it. But if not, I'm looking ahead to see what options are out there based on others experiences.

No current issues to fight as the gear is not installed or tuned yet. Still need to build the focal 10wm box (made a bad measurement on box 1) need the c four so I can mount the amps, distro and dsp to the mounting rack. Need to run wires to center channel, a pillar, sail panel and..then install a pillars and sails...then tune.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I've finally decided on a midrange and tweet for a 3way active setup. Audio frog Gb10 + GB25. But still open to the midbass in the door panel. Options are (current morel tempo ultra 6x9) focal 8wm, focal 6wm, audiofrog gb6, or another midbass that I havent mentioned.

2018 f150 supercrew. OEM head unit to navtv zen a2b, optical to helix dsp ultra, rca to mmats 6x150/mmats 600.2 / helix c four. C Four will run a-pillar and sail panel midrange and tweeter. Mmats 6x150 will run midbass front and rear doors and center channel (AF gb10+gb25) mmats 600.2 will run focal utopia 10wm.

If I get the itch to change in the future I may splurge on the focal utopia tbm and 3.5 to replace the audio frog midrange and tweets. (Center channel will remain as AF gb10+gb25)
Why not keep it timbre matched with the GB60?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why not keep it timbre matched with the GB60?
That has been my initial thinking, to match the set with the gb60. Thanks. Havent pulled the trigger yet..so still time for a decision. I've read many posts here over the last few months and what people have liked.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Timbre matched . That’s a new audio phrase. I get it matching gear not bad

However just remember there’s also good reasons to use different drivers for appropriate bandwidth and characteristics

The WM will have more detail than the AF. Or any other speaker for that matter that I can think of and also have exceptional off axis responce , you can’t go wrong with WM except the ridiculous price tag.

Otherwise , a good 3way of any brand will sound excellent if the setup and install is done right especially tuning and setup

The brands you listed are all exceptional gear and will work good. Get to work on your install and get it done.

If your using pillars and don’t have any tuning experience I would suggest a Dirac live unit, it will tune for you at a professional level. The car/room dominates the sound so dsp work will be what makes the biggest difference between the items you listed. The gear itself isn’t of paramount importance if it’s all quality gear. I would run out and throw a set of DS18 5” horn tweeters because you want it a little louder. (Kidding)

I would use an amp pro with any factory deck or go aftermarket and stay digital to dsp if at all possible

·
Registered
17,874 Posts
IMO, Focal tweeters are for people who like really loud sharp tweeters. I would keep Audiofrog or use Morel tweeters over the Focals. You might like them tho.
No they're not lol. This stigma needs to die

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The WM will have more detail than the AF. Or any other speaker for that matter that I can think of and also have exceptional off axis responce , you can’t go wrong with WM except the ridiculous price tag
I've heard good things about the 8 wm. The price tag however... whew. Maybe a future change. That's why I'm curious. Hopefully by the end of the month I'll have things set. The a pillars have a 3-4 week lead time ( mobile toys) which puts me at final install and tune sometime in March.

·
Registered
504 Posts
The entire professional installer industry knows the difference in sound between metallic, ceramic, silk dome, other materials used in tweeters.

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
That's quite a blanket statement, but the fact is a lot of people have mythical views when it comes to the supposed or intended characteristics of driver materials.

To keep it short since I know you'll stick to your guns, when it comes to tweeters or drivers in general, there's several aspects that exist.... size, material, breakup, & response being the main. An ideal tweeter for car audio should be fairly compact, be able to cross low yet extend far enough to the audible limits without breakup, and of course for the manufacturer, at a reasonable cost that can net a profit.

That ultimate goal is pretty much a standard, but all the things I mention are the reasons why various materials are tried & subsequent results. So.... to say that a company designed a metallic or ceramic tweeter for people who want a harsh metallic or ceramic sound is rather absurd (what the hell does ceramic supposed to sound like, a pinging coffee mug?!).

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
And you're being ignorant. In fact, I've held my breath long enough with you. You've made some of the biggest bullshit posts trying to act like you really know something since you've been on this forum. I think most try to overlook it, but by doing so, have allowed your ego to grow, thus letting you get away with even more bullshit!

Sit down somewhere!

·
Registered
33 Posts
That's quite a blanket statement, but the fact is a lot of people have mythical views when it comes to the supposed or intended characteristics of driver materials.

To keep it short since I know you'll stock to your guns, when it comes to tweeters or drivers in general, there's several aspects that exist.... size, material, breakup, & response being the main. An ideal tweeter for car audio should be fairly compact, be able to cross low yet extend far enough to the audible limits without breakup, and of course for the manufacturer, at a reasonable cost that can net a profit.

The ultimate goal is pretty much a standard, but all the things I mention are the readins why various materials are tried & subsequent results. So.... to say that a company designed a metallic or ceramic tweeter for people who want a harsh metallic or ceramic sound is rather absurd (what the hell does ceramic supposed to sound like, a pinging coffee mug?!).

I have a friend who INSISTS that no set of speakers can sound good (home or car) unless they have a silk dome tweeter.

"I can't listen to metal dome tweeters man. They bother my tinnitus."

Stupidest comment ever and I just silently shake my head as he gets in his car and proceeds to turn his precious silk dome tweeters loud to the point of break up. I literally won't even sit in his car when he is "jamming" because it's so ungodly loud in a bad way.

Then he proceeds to sit in my truck in the dark and tell me he really likes the smooth highs in my truck and I turn on the dome light to reveal big honkin' Beryllium tweeters. The next part looked like the scene from Scanners......

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
Beryllium is a perfect example. Better characteristics than most materials, but comes at a significant cost in the end. Still, it proves what... in case any certain person doesn't know... it is a METAL which kills the myth that all metal tweets or hard domes will sound harsh.

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
Psst, @SkizeR and @oabeieo are both professional installers
Haha, well that should settle the argument.

F150, they are correct though. There may be some general characteristics of different speaker materials, but a metal dome can sound every bit as smooth as a silk dome, and a silk dome can be every bit as harsh.

Focal has had a reputation for "harsh" tweeters, but there are a few possible reasons for that. One is that Focal designs their components specifically for car audio, and in a car, on axis tweeters aren't always the easiest thing to pull off, especially for the majority of people who want a plug and play solution. Using a tweeter with a rising top end will offset the affects that beaming will have on the tweeter when installed off axis. Another reason for that reputation is simply because it's been regurgitated for so long that people have come to believe it's absolutely true. Add a decent DSP, or at least some EQ and "harsh" tweeters can be shaped for the response the user wants.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm currently running Image Dynamics xs 6x9s with my gb 10s & gb 25s and couldn't be happier. I just couldn't justify spending $800 for gb60s to only play from 80-300 Hertz.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts