DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
I think focal has that rumor only because they do a ton of volume, and let’s face it ppl like loud. I never see the passives with the -3 or -6db setting on customer owned gear used. Nonetheless the gains anywhere but maxed f** out all the time.

The 165AC focal which is a aluminum inverted dome will get away from you and definitely needs attenuated most installs and they sound smooth and have great highs, play loud and are good sounding tweets same with the FX tweeters.

The Be tweeter without proper gains and eq will fry the hair off your face if you ask it to.
Under control is arguably one of the most detailed and accurate tweeters ever made

A silk dome will simply buckle and the dome will distort and bend at levels it shouldn’t go to. Like a passive filter would. I wouldn’t want my domes ever playing to the point of changing shape. That’s just nonsense

·
Registered
17,874 Posts
The entire professional installer industry knows the difference in sound between metallic, ceramic, silk dome, other materials used in tweeters.
you really need to take a seat..

Heres some advice from a professional installer. "Harshness" usually isn't a byproduct of the diaphragm material. It almost always comes down to implementation. How does the manufacturer implement the use of that material, and how YOU implement it in your sound system. The whole "focal tweeters are harsh" stigma comes from Focal actually knowing what they're doing. Focal, and a few other car audio companies actually make their tweeters have a much higher efficiency vs the rest of the component set, and have a rising frequency response. You know why? because almost no one in normal car audio scenarios has the luxury to put their tweeters on-axis and giving them a higher sensitivity vs the rest of the set allows for room for adjustment to preference, and even overcome the challenges of installing in a car. When people tell me that their focal tweeters are harsh, it doesn't tell me that the tweeters aren't good. It tells me that person doesn't know what the hell they're doing, sorta like how your response tells me the same. Learn how to properly use your eq, level match, and enjoy.

The reason to use different materials mostly comes down to cone breakup. The reason silk domes are popular and usually sound good is the same reason that polypropylene is prevalent in cheaper component systems... its hard to fuck up. The softer the material, the earlier in the frequency response the breakup occurs, but the more spread out and mellow it is. The harder the material, you push that breakup higher out, but it becomes narrower and a bit wilder. Use a material like beryllium, and that cone breakup isn't anywhere near the audible frequency range for human hearing and you essentially have no cone breakup to worry about. Usually, cheap aluminum tweeters are where the problem lies, but they're only part of the problem. The other problem is the end user not picking the right gear for the job and/or setting up whatever he chooses correctly. 3 of the 5 best tweeters I have heard/used have been metal dome tweeters.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts