DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with the CL line of CDT? Specifically the sl line? Only have 2 3/8th" depth. Wish I could fit the regular depth 6.5's. Another plus is the super tiny x-over it comes with. Currently have JBL 6.5" 629 coax and I'm not sure I'm all in on them. The midrange seems very forward. Midbase is average. I don't have any dsp and very limited eq capabilities. Thx

· Registered
234 Posts
If you go to the CDT Audio website and click on the "Chome Hi-Rez Audio" category you'll see that they are having a massive sale on all of those sets. The CRM-62iMKis is only $50 more than the CL slim set you mentioned. The chrome series, as far as I can tell, is their top-end ES series but with a 'chrome' basket. If you're looking for a slim woofer I wouldn't hesitate getting the CRM-62iMKis set over the CL set you were looking at. The CRM-62iMKis has CDT's best [non-extended range] tweeter, best passive cross-over and arguably their best slim woofer. I actually just bought that set, myself for a new install.

Of course, since I haven't actually heard that slim-CL woofer (though, I have used the discontinued CL-6 woofer, which I thought sucked) it may be exactly what you're looking for.... so.... yeah.

As for the question of how much low end bass comes from those woofers: It's "okay". These lines of speakers are very much designed with a subwoofer in mind. CDT even recommends that you high-pass them at 100hz - and I mean for all of their sets. I don't think I've seen a woofer on CDT's website that doesn't have a recommended high-pass cross-over of 100hz, so it's not like you can expect slamming 50hz sub-bass from mid-bass woofers. I currently have CDT Audio ES-6 woofers (the old, orange basket versions) in the fronts and the ES-6iM (the non-chrome woofer that comes in the CRM-62iMKis set) in the rears. Neither is enclosed well enough in the doors (my vehicle has open cavity doors, so there's ZERO chance of getting proper air volume specs with any woofer) to get the most out of them, so maybe my assessment of the bass is faulty, but I find that with my subwoofer contributing even mild volume below 100hz I have a great setup. But, without the sub the sound isn't nearly as thick as I would need it to be to 'pass the test'. I'm not even sure how someone, at least with my car, would get heavy bass without a sub, unless he or she built custom pods.

· Premium Member
3,531 Posts
The Chrome series is not just a chrome colored ES woofer, they use a kevlar cone versus a kevlar/fiberglass cone like the ES woofer. They have less midbass output however in my opinion a cleaner sounding midrange.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.