DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Midbass question. Mine are mounted in the oem door locations. The doors have been properly treated and I have no issues with the install. I wonder about the relationship of the driver to the door panel though…they’re inset almost 3” behind the panel. Is there any benefit to building out the inner panel to move the driver closer to the factory grille area? Something like this?
Door Door handle Rim Cylinder Jewellery

Jewellery Nickel Font Circle Auto part

·
Registered
134 Posts
In my experience yes you can (and maybe should) build out your mounts to come within 1/4" - 1/2" from the door card and then use something like fast rings to help seal between the speaker and the door panel. BUT the caveat i have found is if you build your spacer like you show it, this can effect the sound :( I have always had to go with a much larger cavity circumference on my buildouts to help avoid the "Horn" effect that narrow spacers can cause. Kind of like sitting a speaker on a CUP vs a mixing bowl

·
Registered
588 Posts
Unless your drivers are 4" from the opening, or you're getting odd resonance from the panels, I'd leave it be.

Midbass isn't going to be distorted by that small gap. 10KHz, maybe. Midbass? Nah.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
did that once and it performed really well. I brought speaker maybe 1mm from the doorcard. Very similar pods as yours, but made out of MDF and treated with resin.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
You want the midbass driver to be close and most importantly sealed to the grill opening. The cavity formed between the door and door panel will create a helmholz resonator which really screws up the response in a mutitude of ways.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After talking to a few people and reading a lot I ordered a few things to push them out. I’m going to use the rings pictures here…if you look closely they’re beveled on the back side to open them up. I’ll mate them to some rings and a new mounting plate for an 8” driver and bevel as necessary to open up the “tunnel” on the back side as much as possible. I plan to get them within 1/2” of the door panel then use SoundSkins CCF speaker rings to seal to the door panels.
Door Door handle Rim Cylinder Jewellery

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unless your an exhaust system.
I actually built dual Helmholtz chambers to kill the drone my dual 3” exhaust had…I’ve used them for years on custom exhausts…they’re phenomenal if you do the math right.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
After talking to a few people and reading a lot I ordered a few things to push them out. I’m going to use the rings pictures here…if you look closely they’re beveled on the back side to open them up. I’ll mate them to some rings and a new mounting plate for an 8” driver and bevel as necessary to open up the “tunnel” on the back side as much as possible. I plan to get them within 1/2” of the door panel then use SoundSkins CCF speaker rings to seal to the door panels.
View attachment 311789
The fast rings are cool and all but this stuff is the most form fitting stuff I've ever used.
It's not the ccf fast rings are made of. More rubber texture but also more squishy than ccf. After a year in the rio doors they were back to the same shape. And I used two per side stacked. The door card was angled and the front of the panel was about a .25inch away. While the other side was a good 3.5 inches. This stuff sealed the perimeter completely.
Camera accessory Wheel Automotive tire Font Violet
Light Automotive tire Font Screenshot Bumper

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like an Armaflex type material from the pics.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Somewhat ya but denser. Heavier. But also much more squishy.
You can almost touch your thumb and finger when squishing a two or 2.5 inch piece.
I ordered 4 planning on using one on each door. But the gap and angle...I had to use all 2 on each front door. But in your case it seems like one will meet up.
The problem I had with fast ring was it was kinda hard to cut them perfectly so that the still meet the card hard enough to actually seal it vs to much and it bending in on itself blocking the door card kinda.
With these they just squish so good. While being thick at the same time. I like them.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea I have the Stinger Fast Rings in there now…I didn’t know they were OCF when I bought them but I also glazed over checking how deep behind the panel the drivers are. Since I’m gonna push those out now I already ordered the SoundSkins V3 CCF rings.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Automotive tire Sleeve Finger Gesture Jersey

Looks to be the same thing. Just cut different and also looks more install friendly.
The stuff from Amazon even has the same 3m backing. I just ordered some to compare.
I'm thinking of doing not testing but comparing the stuff I have found on Amazon. Like this over the past couple years.
A lot looks to be the same thing. Just different form factors.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Just be sure when you move the speakers closer to the door panel that you leave enough room for the cone to move without the surround hitting the panel. This is a very common mistake and it destroys speakers.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just be sure when you move the speakers closer to the door panel that you leave enough room for the cone to move without the surround hitting the panel. This is a very common mistake and it destroys speakers.
I’m leaving 1/2” of clearance with 5.3mm Xmax. I believe I’ll be fine there.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Probably, but it's useful to remember that Xmax is not as far as the cone can travel. Xmax plus the height of the gap is as far as the cone can be driven.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts