DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Merry X-mas to every one. I have another problem with midbasses resonace. A few weeks ago i put midbass from metal skin to door cards to bring them like 2 3 inches more outside. The problem is it makes noise,vibrate. For example white stripes-seven nation army in the begining sounds awful, i can hear that noted very muddy,even if i set a hp of 160hz it still make noise by vibrating.. What solution do i have to stop this vibration ? This is how my door look like:

So i was thinking to add some metal bond or other material in the red area(the yellow one is the wood ring that holds the speaker) or to add multiple layers of deadening material. What is the best solution to get rid of vibration and not going crazy with fiberglass or wood enclosures? Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,562 Posts
If you start with the door card off then maybe you can feel for the buzz?

Then if there is no buzz, add the door card and repeat.

Or do you think that the resonance in the speaker without the door playing a part?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The door card is the problem. If i touch near midbass or on the grille i can feel vibrating hard . it vibrates only on bottom side and i think it s because it doesen t have enough mass and in the bottom are no screws .. only plastics clamps.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Mounting to the door card is going to vibrate all that plastic pretty good. I see you used deadening. Maybe some closed cell foam to keep the vibration from getting to the door card?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want to put more deadening in the are that vibrate. Or to fill with some poliester . But i don t know it will make good contact with plastic

·
Premium Member
3,562 Posts
Shadow mentioned closed cell foam a post ago...

Open cell foam (like a door seal or window weather strip) might also work to dampen out vibrations that buzz between two parts.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I don't understand ... are you actually mounting to the door card itself? Definitely don't ... There should be just a layer of closed-cell foam. Nothing rigid connecting speakers to the plastic. Other than that, looks like a pretty solid job! Should sound nice when you sort this little issue out.

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Please mount on the door rather than the door card. If the speaker is being mounted on the door card, the reasonance will be there

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,574 Posts
Put them back on the sheet metal door. What were you hoping to accomplish by bringing them out 2-3" more? A speaker needs a solid mounting baffle, and what you've done with the door panel is far from solid. The entire weight of the door panel, and the speaker is being supported by a handfull of lose fitting, plastic panel clips. That door panel is going to vibrate like crazy until you attach the speakers to the actual door.

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
As others have stated, you need a solid baffle to mount to. I also would apply a bead of silicone around the plastic door clips so they can't rattle while in their slots on the door card. I mount to the inner door skin but also use the silicone (hot glue sometimes) on the clips.

Deadening usually winds up employing several techniques to lessen or nullify direct cmechanical & sympathetic rattles, but the best treatment is to avoid direct contact with prone areas.

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I mounted on the door card but on the back of door card i have a wooden ring.so the midbass in screwed in that wood ring.My door metal frame where it was before it moves, if i hit it with palm it moves, have some rivets and it s with the windows mechamism.even with 3 layers it still vibrates.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I would add some more damping plates to the doorcard itself. I would also try to decouple doorcard from speaker and from speaker ring with neoperne or similar material, alsp decouple doorcard from the door metal. Such problems usually arise when two hard surfaces touches each other. Replace all door clips with new one or add some screws that will hold doorcard firmly to the door-metal - those are the options if you want to stick with the latest install version.

You can also stack a few speaker rings together and bolt them directly to door metal and just remove a part of doorcards where speaker gonna protrude trough doorcard and make some kind of beauty ring to hide void between speaker and doorcard.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
I’m for moving the woofer back to the doors metal skin vs the door card/trim.

What was causing the rattle when it was mounted to the door itself? Try to address that with more deadening or a sturdier baffle?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When was on the door.. it was far behind from the door card. Like 10cm or so and i was having cancelations at 150hz and at 1k (peak) so i wanted to bring them more forward and not stay in oem location

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
I would stack some baffles from the door before mounting to the door card trim.

But if you feel its best then you are going to need to deaden that door card trim to the point you of barely being able to put it back on. Deaden with strategic placement of botth CLD, CCF, and possibly butyl rope.

Add as much mass to the baffle and surrounding baffle mount areas on the trim. Pinpoint resonance rattle locations and decouple the contact points with CCF or other decouplers like 3M Thinsulate/UltraTouch/Resonix Fiber Mat.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Stack baffles or use a thick baffle from the door skin itself to bring the woofer closer into the cabin versus mounting the woofer to the door card trim to bring closer into the cabin.

You can also stack a few speaker rings together and bolt them directly to door metal and just remove a part of doorcards where speaker gonna protrude trough doorcard and make some kind of beauty ring to hide void between speaker and doorcard.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oohh you mean the wood rings... for the moment i l apply more deaden on the door card and if it still resonate i will pun the speaker on wood rings(door metal to door panel)

1 - 20 of 72 Posts