DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, im getting ready to put together a system for myself and wanted to try out a ribbon setup. Ill say first off this is going to be for a set of monitors in my home not my car so im not sure if thats gunna translate much different.

I was wanting to use seas excels. I need a bit of help deciding what path to take here in regards to this If i do use these in regards to
1. Mating the right size for top end extention into the ribbon
2. Magnesium cone vs the nextel cone. Whats the difference in sound quality.
Also as a side note, i wont be adding a sub system for some time to come so i was hoping to use 7inchers for some low end usability.

And next was a matter of the ribbons. I was thinking of going with the LCY, but i heard AC g2si sounded practically the same (with the disadvantage of verticle dispersion). Getting G2si would keep me within a workable budget. Going to LCY would force me to downgrade the Seas excels

Thoughts and recomendations?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Just an observation as a user of Newform Research speakers which use 45 inch long 1inch aperature planar dynamic tweeters very similar to ribbons. The mids are Scan 8545s which are great mids, but there is definately a difference in the timber (not sure that is the right term) around the 1khz crossover point. Although a lot could be attributed to the crossover iteslf. I have long thought about trying some Excels in place of the Scans. Interestingly enough the new top of the line Newform models use the Scan Revs, specifically the W15s. I would think the metal cone would be a better sonic match but the crossover may be tougher to implement. But what do I know.

Also be aware the vertical dispersion is a real problem. Even with the 45 inch planars if I lie down on the couch which puts my head below the bottom of the ribbon the speakers sound like crap. Sound completely colapses.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Smee, Im not sure if you've seen this yet, but check out Zaphs tests and info on a group of ribbons here Zaph|Audio

Featuring:
Aurum Cantus G3Si ($213)
LCY 130 ($199)
Fountek NeoCD2.0 ($118)
Bohlender Graebener Neo3 PDR ($55 w/flange)
Silver Flute YAG20-1 ($40)
Special Guest Performance by:
Vifa D26NC55 ($29)

Make sure you click the links for performance measurements

1 - 5 of 5 Posts