DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I'm finalizing my interests for a midrange driver and would appreciate any comments or sugestions if you have any experience with these ....They are replacing Peerless domes in my sig below..

Basically the scenario is..
4" or 4.5" driver
Mounting Depth under 2"
Mounted IB in Kickpanels OFF axis
~100rms x 2 4ohm power on tap
250/400hz - 4khz flat desired

I've narrowed down to the following..
Scan Rev 4.5"
http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=7794945.25196&pid=1152
Scan 4.5" Kevlar
http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=7794945.25196&pid=1155
Vifa MG10 4ohm 4" Yellow Glass
http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=7794945.25196&pid=1367
Peerless Exclusive 4"
http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=7794945.25196&pid=1947

I'm sick of going over the charts...is there any subjective experience with the sound of these drivers? The domes I have now, aside of lacking output and pinpoint control of the midrange-have a dark sound to them that does not blend well with my other drivers. So upon making this move I rather go with a lower playing driver and cover as much of the lower midrange as possible.

Thanks
Manny

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
I would shoot for a lower crossover point, 150Hz has always been a great target point for the threeways I have done.

Rick

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
wow you are stepping up to the big boys :)

the only one of those that will play down to 150 is the revelators, but if you can handle the 300hz id use the peerless , but thats all from reading graphs too :)

I got my peerless exclusive 8's last night and they are extremly well built IMO, the suspension is much tighter than the XLS 8's I had

and also the cone seems to be a better pressed paper than my XLS

cant wait to install them in the next few days

·
Registered
578 Posts
I would go with either the Vifa MG or the Peerless Esclusives...
And like Rick said, I would try to see how low they would play & go with that.

If your Tweeter could handle a 2.5k - 3k xOver point, I would definitely go with a Dayton RS125 5"... I have them playing down to 150hz with eaze & are good up to 3k...

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
i like those revs... but then again i heard it in RJ's setup when he had the wonderful scan 70000 tweets and lotus 8's

theres something special about paper midranges imo... disregarding all the tech stuff we love at this forum, paper just sounds very natural.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
racerraul said:
If your Tweeter could handle a 2.5k - 3k xOver point, I would definitely go with a Dayton RS125 5"... I have them playing down to 150hz with eaze & are good up to 3k...
my tweeter is fine below down to 1600hz, door mounted as they are i've felt once i originally went 3way my stage offered greater depth with them xover in the 3-4.k region..

Unfortunatly the Dayton driver mounting diameter excels the surface area i have for the midranges and depth may pose an issue- how deep are they debucked?

·
Registered
578 Posts
The RS125 is 2" in depth debucked... Sux they are a tad too big...

Looks like the MG10 (104mm vs 106mm Peerless) is the smallest & about 1.75" deep. I used the MG14 in my truck for a while & it was a very nice driver, very good midrange detail.

In your shoes I would probably opt for the MG since I know I like it & I tend to prefer the level of detail fiberglass, Poly & metal offers. My favorite being metal... ;)

But heck... on the other hand, the Peerless esc, measured very well in NPDang's tests & is obviously a very good option...

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
raamaudio said:
I would shoot for a lower crossover point, 150Hz has always been a great target point for the threeways I have done.

Rick
haha I'll try as low it can go before i can hear resonance...its an oem plastic panel but it will sport a baffle in front and behind it...also have some heavy deadning in line for it inside...should turn out ok

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any experiences with the Morel WR4's?

·
"Authentic to the Music"
1,946 Posts
newtitan said:
wow you are stepping up to the big boys :)

the only one of those that will play down to 150 is the revelators, but if you can handle the 300hz id use the peerless , but thats all from reading graphs too :)

I got my peerless exclusive 8's last night and they are extremly well built IMO, the suspension is much tighter than the XLS 8's I had

and also the cone seems to be a better pressed paper than my XLS

cant wait to install them in the next few days
Hurry up man install them already :D . I love the looks of this driver. Need to know how they sound compared to the XLS 8 that is so highly regarded. Man so many great choices. Was kind of set on the Dayton RS225 and Now this peerless exclusive 8 comes up. :cool:

·
Registered
578 Posts
I too am curious about the Esclusive 8's...

Got my money on the XLS 8 & Dayton RS225, though... more XMAX. Could probably explain the tightness of the suspension you noticed. The Esc only claims 5.5mm XMAX.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts