DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I sometimes think maybe my iPhone is the cause but need another source to try and compare them
YES...BOTH of you need to try a different source to eliminate the iphone as the problem.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
But yoi need good ear buds most likely to hear the noises. Sometimes I feel like I can hear the same noises when I use my speaker phone to play the music. I need another phone to compare mine too
I'm a buy once cry once kind of person. So I have a couple sets of headphones that should resolve and sort of distortion. The seinheisers are kinda dry, but they're great for this kinda stuff.

·
Registered
2014 VW CC Sport
983 Posts
Atleast in my case it happens with cds as well. It was the AF tuning CD that had me notice it in the first place.
What tracks? I’ll listen also and see. Do you have any audio of it yet?

·
Premium Member
7,316 Posts
How would you do this? Make a female rca to female 3.5mm jack patch cable?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
What tracks? I’ll listen also and see. Do you have any audio of it yet?
Super noticable on the piano track, but I believe it's been determined there is some distortion on the track itself. Also noticed on the bass tracks somewhat. But it is subtle.
I did get some videos that I'll upload when I get home and can pull them off her phone

·
Registered
2014 VW CC Sport
983 Posts
Can
Super noticable on the piano track, but I believe it's been determined there is some distortion on the track itself. Also noticed on the bass tracks somewhat. But it is subtle.
I did get some videos that I'll upload when I get home and can pull them off her phone
Can’t wait to hear them

I have a feeling amot if this so called hirez on tidal and Deezer has distortion and isn’t true hirez. Sure it’s plbeinf played 92khz or whatever but if they are sending garbage out it doesn’t matter. Would be nice to have someone tell us some tracks they know for fact are crystal clear

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'm hearing this complaint a lot and usually it's a complaint that distortion, usually in the midrange, occurs on some tracks and not on others. I am beginning to think that mixes intended for streaming are often clipped and that "volume levelizer" features in the phone cause some of this.

If this happens when you turn the phone volume way down, then I think the distortion is in the track or in the compression algorithm used to stream the track over mobile data or bluetooth.

I don't know whay the piano track sounds that way on some systems. there are literally only five clipped samples in the whole track and they occur on only one peak. This isn't uncommon for many recordings.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I'm hearing this complaint a lot and usually it's a complaint that distortion, usually in the midrange, occurs on some tracks and not on others. I am beginning to think that mixes intended for streaming are often clipped and that "volume levelizer" features in the phone cause some of this.

If this happens when you turn the phone volume way down, then I think the distortion is in the track or in the compression algorithm used to stream the track over mobile data or bluetooth.

I don't know whay the piano track sounds that way on some systems. there are literally only five clipped samples in the whole track and they occur on only one peak. This isn't uncommon for many recordings.
I've tried turning off the "volume normalizer" or whatever it is called on Tidal to see if it solved the issue. No avail.
I'm going to try to run off my phone via aux tonight and see if that makes any sort of difference as well as pull a few songs that I can hear the issue with and download them to the phone as a comparison. I wish I still had more of my cds around that I could test with.
The strangest part to me is that the same tracks don't have the sound with wired headphones, and not on my Bluetooth Sony wf 1000-xm4 headphones cranked to max volume either.

·
Premium Member
7,316 Posts
Maybe take those same tracks in CD or FLAC from the unit or a USB memory and see if they also distort.

Or some other known good music.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Maybe take those same tracks in CD or FLAC from the unit or a USB memory and see if they also distort.

Or some other known good music.
I need to find some songs that are noticable with the distortion that I also have flac downloads for. Unfortunatly my old site for music was shutdown, so no easy way to find them anymore lol

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I thought my op was getting a bit lengthy so I left out a few things.
I tried my best to check for digital clipping. I made sure that I kept my 6v output headunit below 3/4 because the helix only takes a 4v input. I also went through to make sure that the input voltage gain on the helix was set to the minimum gain @4v on every one of the inputs. All of the EQ on the heaunit is set at 0, also all sound effects off. Unfortunatly AA won't let you change the output volume on the phone which is somewhat annoying.
As far as digital clipping goes, idk what else to check for.
How about eq in the dsp?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I’m experiencing a similar issue, doesn’t sound like distortion but more of an boomy sound from the Mid range on the dash. Haven’t had time to look into yet but it happens with cd/topping using optical and Bluetooth.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,316 Posts
Well the title is “from an unknown source”

The whole idea of ear buds and iPhones orCDs and USB files is to start with a known source.

• It is either digital clipping
  • Some mechanical issue in the speaker.
  • Other mechanical resonance
  • or amplifier clipping.
  • (other)

·
Registered
3,481 Posts

The whole idea of ear buds and iPhones orCDs and USB files is to start with a known source.

• or amplifier clipping.
  • (other)
It's definitely something.

Reactions: Picassotheimpaler

·
Registered
2014 VW CC Sport
983 Posts

• or amplifier clipping.
  • (other)
Could be the urc3 volume
Control. I noticed the other day at much lower volume (almost off) playing some test tones and changing the volume the urc3 causes distortion. Yoi can hear it at each tiny click of the urc3. Some clicks/ at really low volume seem to make the weird sound I hear worse. Not just when I’m changing the volume but also when I leave it wherever down low the distortion soind will be more or less at different clicks. Might be in my head but if I max the urc3 and use iPhone volume and turn it down there seems to be less of this noise I hear.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Tried to use an aux into the headunit today, no dice.
Still there, although everything seems to come in backward? Left is right and vice versa lol.
Still haven't had a chance to test out different dsp channels though

21 - 40 of 62 Posts