DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2014 VW CC Sport
983 Posts
Tried to use an aux into the headunit today, no dice.
Still there, although everything seems to come in backward? Left is right and vice versa lol.
Still haven't had a chance to test out different dsp channels though
did you get a 3.5mm to rca? If so plug it directly into the dsp input or the amp

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
did you get a 3.5mm to rca? If so plug it directly into the dsp input or the amp
Negative, not yet. Just using the 3.5mm input wired through the HU. I'm going to order one to have in next week. Getting to my dsp under the passengers seat is a bit of a pain since I have to pull the entire seat. So I wanted to check that along with switching up dsp channels and rcas

·
Premium Member
7,316 Posts
Tried to use an aux into the headunit today, no dice.
Still there, although everything seems to come in backward? Left is right and vice versa lol.
Still haven't had a chance to test out different dsp channels though
So if the Aux sounded fine with ear buds, then three Klimt includes:
  • Digital clipping
  • Amp clipping
  • Speaker(s)
  • Other mechanical resonance
Are you only playing it through the MR?
(I.e. You are not hearing a tweeter resonance below the crossover are you?)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
  • Digital clipping
  • Amp clipping
  • Speaker(s)
I only hear it though the midrange. I've solo all of the drivers and it's only the midrange that it's noticed. And yeah it sounds fine through the headphones, so it's something in the signal chain.
When the l&r switched when played through the aux connection, the distortion followed the left hand signal. I can't imagine that it would be a mechanical resonance in both sides when being played IB into the dash. Leaves the HU, dsp, and rcas as the possible culprits I believe.

·
Premium Member
7,316 Posts
I only hear it though the midrange. I've solo all of the drivers and it's only the midrange that it's noticed. And yeah it sounds fine through the headphones, so it's something in the signal chain.
When the l&r switched when played through the aux connection, the distortion followed the left hand signal. I can't imagine that it would be a mechanical resonance in both sides when being played IB into the dash. Leaves the HU, dsp, and rcas as the possible culprits I believe.
^Correct^, it is not the speaker.
  1. You could ply the iphone through the amplifiers RCA inputs.
    1. Then that effectively swaps out the HU and DSP.
  2. If you then plugged it into the DSP input… the iPhone replaces the HU. (That sort of relies on RCAs though)
  3. Then maybe turn down the input gain on the DSP by 10dB and listen to whether there is a change?
    1. (Amps gain will need to be twisted up though)
Either DSP digital input gain or DSP output digital gain could result in clipping, so start with #1.

It is even possible that it could be RCAs, so swapping some L/R components makes sense.
Even swapping the RCAs from the DSP to the amp makes some sense, as a thing to do in order to provide more datapoints.

·
Registered
2014 VW CC Sport
983 Posts
  • Digital clipping
  • Amp clipping
  • Speaker(s)
That’s what I’m hearing I believe. What can be done to fix that

·
Registered
555 Posts
If you turn the volume control of the head unit down and you still hear it, then it isn't clipping in the chain after the head unit. If this is the case, then it's time to consider the phone or the files or the streaming source.

·
Registered
2014 VW CC Sport
983 Posts
^Correct^, it is not the speaker.
  1. You could ply the iphone through the amplifiers RCA inputs.
    1. Then that effectively swaps out the HU and DSP.
  2. If you then plugged it into the DSP input… the iPhone replaces the HU. (That sort of relies on RCAs though)
  3. Then maybe turn down the input gain on the DSP by 10dB and listen to whether there is a change?
    1. (Amps gain will need to be twisted up though)
Either DSP digital input gain or DSP output digital gain could result in clipping, so start with #1.

It is even possible that it could be RCAs, so swapping some L/R components makes sense.
Even swapping the RCAs from the DSP to the amp makes some sense, as a thing to do in order to provide more datapoints.
Where is this supposed to be showing up? It definitely isn’t in a dsp.3 on any page or tab. This would be nice to check the input clipping. How would someone check for digital input clipping? I do know that with optical in and everything set to 0 with no eq or crossovers the helix will clip at +3 whether it be +3 in the input side or+3 in the channel gains anything over 3 clips using a DD1
Product Font Screenshot Parallel Number

·
Registered
2014 VW CC Sport
983 Posts
If you turn the volume control of the head unit down and you still hear it, then it isn't clipping in the chain after the head unit. If this is the case, then it's time to consider the phone or the files or the streaming source.
True. I also hear it even better at lower volume

·
Registered
2014 VW CC Sport
983 Posts
Digital clipping? Mainly your EQ, make sure you aren't booting to an access, and with your dsp make sure that your input gain is set to the output of your headunit.
I use iPhone into topping only .digital input is at 0 and I don’t boost anything or go into the + channel levels. There’s no way I would be clipping. It’s gotta be my crap phone or the source files for me

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
In your experience, is it possible for a faulty piece of equipment (like aging opamp, ect) be a possible culprit?

·
Premium Member
7,316 Posts
I use iPhone into topping only .digital input is at 0 and I don’t boost anything or go into the + channel levels. There’s no way I would be clipping. It’s gotta be my crap phone or the source files for me
Does your topping allow you to do -6 dB on the input?

I posted this a week ago with respect to Sigma-Delta converters…

“Me” said:

the Scarlett Book (SACD) specifications require that the input signal be limited to -6 dBFS (meaning, 6dB less dynamic range than the original signal).

·
Registered
2014 VW CC Sport
983 Posts
In your experience, is it possible for a faulty piece of equipment (like aging opamp, ect) be a possible culprit?
Does your topping allow you to do -6 dB on the input?

I posted this a week ago with respect to Sigma-Delta converters…
no. The topping when connected to iPhone has no way to access any settings

·
Registered
2014 VW CC Sport
983 Posts
good question and something ive also thought of. What does a bad opamp sound like? What causes it to go bad? Does the helix have them?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I downloaded some of my known good "audiophile" wav tracks to my phone for some listening last night. Still noticable.
So we can rule out tidal or Spotify being the source of the issue.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I downloaded some of my known good "audiophile" wav tracks to my phone for some listening last night. Still noticable.
So we can rule out tidal or Spotify being the source of the issue.
But have you ruled your phone out yet??

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Nope, can't find my flash drive and my cds are in storage.
Your likely chasing ghosts until you can try a different source.

Maybe go out and buy a CD of some music that you already have on your phone and compare the two??

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Your likely chasing ghosts until you can try a different source.

Maybe go out and buy a CD of some music that you already have on your phone and compare the two??
Good news is I found my flash drive as i was digging through my suitcase heading out to a wedding. So I can play around a bit more when I get home.
I need to find some quality rips of these songs next.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts