DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off here is what i have 2 sets of cxs64 v.2 Id comps running off a cadence 150x4 amp which i hate its going back constantly over heats even though its only pushing half its power. Anways what i want to do is modify The a pillar where the tweeters are to image them better and to also add a midrange driver. What im looking for r suggestions on the actual driver and a way to cross them over. I would like to keep the driver cost around 100 for both could go higher if necessary. I have looked at some electronic crossovers. I wounld need a 2way that would do band pass on both channel correct? Is there such a thing or an easier way? Oh yea my head unit is a dnx8120
Thanks

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
From what my research lately is showing, the Scanspeak 12m midrange is one of the best drivers you can get at any price and is found is very expensive audiophile speaker/home theater systems. I would really like to find the specially laminated version of the 12m which is supposed to have even lower distortion measurements.

That is likely going to be my next step in my system's evolution in a year or so. I plan to eventually do an A-pillar mod and if I do this, I will want the best I can get. I just wish I could hear the 12m before I buy.

·
Registered
675 Posts
yay for internet research and no hands on experience! :D
of course your research tells you they are some of the best because thats what everyone says...regurgitate that info! Yummy...

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
From what my research lately is showing, the Scanspeak 12m midrange is one of the best drivers you can get at any price and is found is very expensive audiophile speaker/home theater systems. I would really like to find the specially laminated version of the 12m which is supposed to have even lower distortion measurements.

That is likely going to be my next step in my system's evolution in a year or so. I plan to eventually do an A-pillar mod and if I do this, I will want the best I can get. I just wish I could hear the 12m before I buy.
he stated his budget was stated as $100 for both. you can't touch scanspeak for that.

There are plenty of threads here on this, search for "Midrange" in the title only. Some Tang bands are very likely to have been reviewed.

·
Registered
675 Posts
also to the OP besides doing some searching around (i linked one for you) for midrangers, there are a million on this site alone....

How do you have your current components wired up?

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
yay for internet research and no hands on experience! :D
of course your research tells you they are some of the best because thats what everyone says...regurgitate that info! Yummy...
I'm not really regurgitating info as much as I am drawing a conclusion that if the driver is used in $10,000 home theater speakers, it must be a pretty damn good sounding driver. For around $285 each, it's expensive but if it truly delivers the quality it should, then it's a bargain.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I'm not really regurgitating info as much as I am drawing a conclusion that if the driver is used in $10,000 home theater speakers, it must be a pretty damn good sounding driver.
horrible conclusion. marketing > you.

The scans are regarded as very good. BUT asssuming that something is good because it costs tons of money - just plain stupid.

To the OP:

Read these and form your own opinion:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/member-product-reviews/66-lpg-vifa-aura-midrange-reviews.html

Zaph|Audio

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/member-product-reviews/41582-rs100-tg9-tc9-l3-830986-review.html

·
Registered
675 Posts
I have some LNCOF speaker cable for that is an intergral part of that $10,000 sound system, the Scans from my research will absolutely not work correctly without this cable since its polarized for maximum electron flow. 10ft goes for a grand though. But if its with that $10K system and you want no compromise..its definitely going to be worth it for you, without the cable you might as well be buying the specially non-laminated scan because its like a veil over your speakers.

FalkenBD...go ahead...click the YSHSF button for me :D

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
horrible conclusion. marketing > you.

The scans are regarded as very good. BUT asssuming that something is good because it costs tons of money - just plain stupid.

To the OP:

Read these and form your own opinion:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/member-product-reviews/66-lpg-vifa-aura-midrange-reviews.html

Zaph|Audio

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/member-product-reviews/41582-rs100-tg9-tc9-l3-830986-review.html
It's not like someone can just audition these speakers anytime they want. I'm going to try and find out if there are any Sonus Faber home theater speakers on display here locally so that I can hear these mids in action but I'm not holding my breath as I couldn't find any dealers for them in the Las Vegas area on their website.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
It's not like someone can just audition these speakers anytime they want. I'm going to try and find out if there are any Sonus Faber home theater speakers on display here locally so that I can hear these mids in action but I'm not holding my breath as I couldn't find any dealers for them in the Las Vegas area on their website.
I understand that you can't always audition each and every speaker you might want to buy.

Don't ASSUME that since they are used in 10,000 speakers that they are going to be good. That is the problem we are having here...

Check Zaph|Audio for the FR, CSD, Impedance, distortion plots.

Learn to read those and determine if the driver will work well in your intended application.

Don't let anyone tell you that you can "hear" something that isn't obvious in those plots. That is when marketing beats you.

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
Measurements and statistical data doesn't always tell you what will sound good to you either. I like to hear what I'm buying whenever possible. But some things you have to give a shot to on word of mouth.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Do you fathom how HUGE of a difference sonus faber mids in perectly built enclosures in a well built listening room as apposed to your cars less than ideal Apillars and crappy acoustic evironment...just how huge that difference is going to be...none the less can you just go and buy SF mids?? facepalm..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i have searched ive been researching my options for about a month i have my components just wired passive right now mid in the door tweets in the a pillar i do not like the way the stock a pillar mounting spot is almost angled in i think the tweets can sound so much better. plus im lacking midrange which i think is more of an imaging issue then driver issues as the mids are pointing straight out of the bottom corner of the door at the feet. Ive only heard a few three way setups but i always really liked the way the sounded. I can fiber glass decently i built door pod for my civic for a set of jl xrs and they sounded amazing so while im in fiber glass mode i might do the doors too. i can search for hours to find posts similar then mine but i figured ive seen some like what i was asking on here and was hoping they would chime in on how they liked it and what they did. anyways thanks for the replies so far even tho u seem to be just arguing wit dude lol.

·
I'm baaaack!!
4,397 Posts
I'm not really regurgitating info as much as I am drawing a conclusion that if the driver is used in $10,000 home theater speakers, it must be a pretty damn good sounding driver. For around $285 each, it's expensive but if it truly delivers the quality it should, then it's a bargain.
No, that's exactly what you were doing. And since you are ignorant on the subject at hand, just spewing what you've read on here at other people without taking into account their desires/budget/taste is a bad idea. This is how people end up spending WAY more money than is needed to achieve the level of SQ that they want in their own install. It would be wise of you to stop posting as much and read more. Then go out and actually TRY what you've read so you'll have some first hand knowledge of a subject instead of talking out of your butt about it.

·
I'm baaaack!!
4,397 Posts
To the OP, do you have a max size for the midrange driver? There are a few that come to mind for your car, but they range from 3.5"-5.25" drivers. Why not do a midbass driver in the doors, mids in the kicks, and leave the tweets up high?

Also, maybe I missed it but what is the car in question?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well if i put them in the a pillar i think 4 would be as big as id want to go in the a pillar. im not a fan of kicks i have big feet and go on alot of trips and prefer nothing around my feet. I also had the thought of doing a 3 way pod on the door but i like the way drivers in the a pillar seem to pull the sound stage up. Oh yea the car is an 05 cadillac cts.
Thanks

·
"Authentic to the Music"
1,953 Posts
Well the 12m is a great driver and one of the best drivers for midrange use money can buy and there is no doubt about it. Now the Sonus Faber is not exactly the same driver (not a stock 12m) the older center M used a stock 12m, but the new center M uses a modified version of the 12m.

To the OP, the RS100 and the Peerless 830986/87 are great drivers. You can't go wrong with either and are in your price range including shipping.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts