DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still searching for a set of midrange drivers for my build for 2012. I don't want to simply settle for some drivers, but with the agressive purchase of mutual funds and allocation of a majority of our money going into retirement I'm finding it hard to be able to drop some LARGE coin on some drivers.

A couple of things complex me since I'm not that versed in the specs of the drivers I'm looking at. Many I see on PE and Madisound are 8ohm and rated in the area of 15w - 30w. Some are rated 30w-60w. Even some of the 4ohm are rated at low power. Is this due to the fact that these drivers are tested and rated at the lowest Fs. This being said since I wouldn't be crossing down to 90 - 100Hz are they going to be able to handle considerable more power? Are 8ohm drivers going to require substantial more power as in a 2ohm driver being easier to drive and require less power than say a 4ohm driver? What am I missing? I have alot to learn. I want to learn.

As far as driver design am I going to see more reflection problems with a driver with a phase plug than I will with a conventional cone? I hate to sound stupid (easy for me to do since all I used to do is throw money at a problem) but I could use some guidance. I want to get my truck as good as I can without moving from my class (mod street). I want to win finals next year.

Any help would be appreciated. And if any of you guys have some GOOD midrange drivers let me know. I may not be able to come up with all the money at once but I'm not going anywhere. I'll make good on the deal.

I'm also thinking of joining with some of you on the JL bandwagon. I just need to get my audio resume together. I plan on hitting as many shows as I can since I travel alot all over the country. I will make sure I win my State Title. But it would be nice to go to other States (areas) and bring some game and represent Diyma, JL and any other team affiliates I am associated with. Depending on what I need to do I'd like to keep Diyma as my main tean affiliation.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
3,854 Posts
Teal JL is nice and Mark was very polite about everything. Basically , the more JL product you can run the better but there is no pressure to run everything from their line. you can basically go Al La Carte. Find some things you like and will use and go from there.

Youd be surprised at some of the people using JL and how great their cars sound.

I used to sell and install a ton of the older 653 comp sets, it was my go to comp set for kicks and midbass in doors.
I prob sold a couple dozen in the short time I was at Tweeter. And thats even when we started carrying Focal etc...

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JL 4" from the 3-way comps not available seperate right now. So I'm giving some Morel 4" Ovations a shot.

Chuck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts