DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need some opinions before I start cutting on my doors...here's a pic of my interior:

I'm trying to figure out where to put my RS100s. I think there's room in the space in the upper door panel, in front and above the door handles. The other drivers will be in stock door locations. Will this be ok?

·
Registered
524 Posts
left ac vent, and in front of the left-most gauge in the cluster

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
left ac vent, and in front of the left-most gauge in the cluster

As in, the center of the dash? No thanks...

I had thought about using the left A/C vent, but since the dash isn't symmetrical, there's no ideal place on the left side.

I'm not putting them in the dash...I asked if they would sound ok where I stated, in the upper door panel.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I believe its a Scion xD
My powers of deduction say it's a 2009 xB.:D

There was a 2nd gen xB in the install section, Xtreme 03, have you checked it out? Might give you some ides there, and you could always PM the installer for some hands-on suggestions.:)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My powers of deduction say it's a 2009 xB.:D
DING DING DING, how'd you guess?

I find it crazy that people would have to ask when the answer's right in front of them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
2008+ Scion xB, not xD

The kick panels are roomy.

The kick panels probably are roomy, but I don't like the idea... Too easily blocked by mine and my wife's feet/legs. The door speakers are bad enough.

I'll probably end up going 2-way for a while, and if I'm happy I'll not mess with cutting the door panels. I'm trying to avoid getting too deep in modding this car. I wen't alot further with my S10, and I don't care to go there again.

·
Registered
524 Posts
As in, the center of the dash? No thanks...

Think about it. If you put it right where that left gauge is you could actually achieve stereo....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, but that guage is the speedometer...and there wouldn't be stereo for the passenger side.

I let my wife drive this car sometimes, and we switch places on long trips so there has to be a compromise. Not to mention, that it wouldn't do any good to have the midrange there and the midbass and tweeters still in the door.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Screw the passenger. The sacrifices we make. :)

That's why you don't put the tweeters in the doors, and limit the midbass response to 250hz and down

·
Registered
524 Posts
dupe

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Screw the passenger. The sacrifices we make. :)
That would be screwing myself too. I don't want a stereo that sounds good in the driver's seat and like crap in the passenger's seat because, as stated before, I sit there on occasion.

The tweeters and midbass' ARE going in the stock locations, I'm not compromising on that. I merely wanted input on the idea of putting the mids in the doors also...nowhere else. It's either there or nowhere at all. I've already posted all this along with my reasons...

I just figured there was someone else out there who has put their mid in the upper door panel, on some other vehicle, who would have some input on this or a similar location.

A speaker infront of the guages would, in effect, be a center channel speaker. The guages are centered on the dash.

·
Registered
524 Posts
A speaker in front of the gauges would result in as close to stereo as you could achieve. :)

If you do the door location, make sure the midrange and midbass are in separate airspaces and the midrange are as on-axis as possible. Also try and get them as close to the tweeters as possible.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The drivers will have their own air space.

If I put them there, they'll be flush with the door panel. There is a slight curve toward the front of the panel. The left side still wouldn't be on axis, but the right would be very close. But then it will be the opposite on the right side, which is what I'm going for. I want it to sound as good as possible from both front seats.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
The kick panels probably are roomy, but I don't like the idea... Too easily blocked by mine and my wife's feet/legs. The door speakers are bad enough.

I'll probably end up going 2-way for a while, and if I'm happy I'll not mess with cutting the door panels. I'm trying to avoid getting too deep in modding this car. I wen't alot further with my S10, and I don't care to go there again.
I have a 2006 xB. Q-Logic even makes kickpanels for it, which would be a good place to start. You know the standard drill... deaden them, put in a wood ring, etc.

I didn't even consider them for 2 reasons: 1. The footroom isn't spectacular to begin with, and 2. The kickpanels are just too *low* compared to where your head is in an xB. There's less of a height difference in a sedan or coupe.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts