DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Extended/Full range Drivers vs Tweeter

Let me preface this with I dont want to do any customization to my pillars or door panels other than your standard CCF and deadener treatments. I will be getting rid of this car soon and it will become my wife's daily driver. Due to this fact I want to keep the interior as stock as possible so I can swap everything over to my car once the near year rolls around.

This brings me to my predicament. I have 6 channels on my Audio System Twister F6. I have active capabilities with my Alpine CDA-9887. Also have TrueRTA along with the Imprint for measurement purposes. The tweeters I have are Morel made Xtant 28mm tweeters and Eclipse SC6500 mids.

As of right now Im only using channels 5/6 on my sub at 2 ohms bridged on my TC based Audiomobile Evo.

I want to run a 2 way active front stage. Its all I have channels for and I dont have room to expand for amp placement.

Option 1: Tweeter and Midbass
Option 2: Extended/Full Range and Midbass

When it comes to extended/full range vs tweeters would I be ok going active with a solid full range such as the Aura 3" bambo and my midbass? Or is it better to run a tweeter and midbass? What are the pros and cons of each scenario?

·
Registered
243 Posts
are you askeing between
1: Morel made Xtant 28mm tweeters and Eclipse SC6500 mids.
and
2: Eclipse SC6500 mids and Aura 3" bambo midrange

then pick #1. because midranges really need a tweeter

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
are you askeing between
1: Morel made Xtant 28mm tweeters and Eclipse SC6500 mids.
and
2: Eclipse SC6500 mids and Aura 3" bambo midrange

then pick #1. because midranges really need a tweeter
Not specifically that combination, but the same general setup.

1. Tweeter and Midbass
2. Extended/Full Range and Midbass

Can you expand on your reasoning?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
if you go with good drivers, i'd choose #2, i've recently heard some KICKA$$ tweeterless systems. if done right they ROCK.

JMO YMMV

·
Registered
370 Posts
I've been running tweeterless in my last 4 setups. It depends on what you like, but the key is to get the wideband driver on axis. You lose too much higher frequency information when off axis. So if you do not want to modify any of the interior to allow for on axis placement for the fullrange, then the obvious choice is tweeter/mid woofer. If you do wanna make some dash top enclosures for a widebander then give it a shot as the car is only temporary anyway.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been running tweeterless in my last 4 setups. It depends on what you like, but the key is to get the wideband driver on axis. You lose too much higher frequency information when off axis. So if you do not want to modify any of the interior to allow for on axis placement for the fullrange, then the obvious choice is tweeter/mid woofer. If you do wanna make some dash top enclosures for a widebander then give it a shot as the car is only temporary anyway.
The way the door panels are they are slightly tilted up at the driver so they are fairly close to on axis. They are probably about 30* off or so.

·
Registered
370 Posts
30* makes a difference. Take a look at some fr plots on any of the widebanders you are looking at and you can see how much a 3" cone loses off axis above 8-10k hz. Obviously it depends on the driver you are using, but I think seeing that will help you decide.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
30* makes a difference. Take a look at some fr plots on any of the widebanders you are looking at and you can see how much a 3" cone loses off axis above 8-10k hz. Obviously it depends on the driver you are using, but I think seeing that will help you decide.
Right now Im looking at something that seems to be a mixture of the Fountek FR88 and the H-Audio Trinity. Its the H-Audio/Audible Physics AP3.

·
Super Moderator
5,227 Posts
I think HillbillySQ has an setup using midbass and fullrange. If that's the right guy, I heard it and it sounded good. Smooth and I really didn't miss the 17-20KHz. He had the fullrange in the dash firing straight up. Not sure exactly which models, but I think it was the AR3K and ebony.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think HillbillySQ has an setup using midbass and fullrange. If that's the right guy, I heard it and it sounded good. Smooth and I really didn't miss the 17-20KHz. He had the fullrange in the dash firing straight up. Not sure exactly which models, but I think it was the AR3K and ebony.
Just bought a pair of the H-Audio/Audible Physics AP3's. Ill see if I can find his build thread. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Just bought a pair of the H-Audio/Audible Physics AP3's. Ill see if I can find his build thread. Thanks for the heads up.

Sorry if I missed it in one of your posts, but where are you planning on mounting the 3" widebanders?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Good question whitedragon. I have thought about the same thing. I just dont want to go through all the fab in a 98 truck that I might not have for a long time. So this is kinda what I would be thinking about also.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry if I missed it in one of your posts, but where are you planning on mounting the 3" widebanders?
I was thinking doing something sort of like the tweeter spheres that have been on here, but obviously large enough for a 3".

I was also contemplating fitting them in the doors next to my 6.5" mid and moving my tweeters up to the tweeter spheres. I may have to drop to a 5.25" mid to fit the midbass and full range side by side.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I was thinking doing something sort of like the tweeter spheres that have been on here, but obviously large enough for a 3".

I was also contemplating fitting them in the doors next to my 6.5" mid and moving my tweeters up to the tweeter spheres. I may have to drop to a 5.25" mid to fit the midbass and full range side by side.

So it looks like you've decided to go with a 3-way front... :D

I'm going tweeterless using the Fountek FR88EX's in the pillars with the driver side speaker about 10-15* off-axis. Anymore than that I'd definitely need a tweeter. Hell, sometimes there are songs that I think I need a tweeter... like it's missing a little something on the very top end.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So it looks like you've decided to go with a 3-way front... :D

I'm going tweeterless using the Fountek FR88EX's in the pillars with the driver side speaker about 10-15* off-axis. Anymore than that I'd definitely need a tweeter. Hell, sometimes there are songs that I think I need a tweeter... like it's missing a little something on the very top end.
3 way is my other option. Id prefer to try out a tweeterless system. Ive read that they are fantastic if done right. If that doesnt turn out though might as well go 3 way front stage. Ill have the parts laying around.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts