DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased some cd1e compression drivers with full horns and crossovers, probably v.2 (unsure if these are v2, v3 or original)
I currently have some edesign edi 6500 components, and planned on using the id crossovers with the edi 6.5" mids.
I believe the crossover on these is set at <2000hz, but I cant get ids site to work properly for me

Eventually, Im wanting to switch to some larger mids for better bass response, and my first thought was some rs225s for the larger cone area and better midbass, but since I cant get the specs for he crossovers, Im wondering if these are a good choice or not.

Also, I currently have an old hifonics capable of 150 wpc, or a tsunami amp with 100wpc, and Im not sure which is better to use in this app. Im just trying to get this loud enough for my tastes at the moment, and will add processing and probably go active in the near future, but for now will be run passively off of the factory crossover. Horns will be mounted under the dash (1992 caprice, plenty of space to work with) with the mids in the doors.

Also, Ive always heard that the horns are outrageously loud due to their effeciency, and not sure how well a single mid will work with these on the factory crossover, do I need more midbass than the 225s can provide on these crossovers? I know they are not the most effecient driver, and havent purchased anything yet, so Im totally open to suggestions

basically, just tell me what to throw in with the horns that will work decently with the lack of processing I have. I know the horns will be harsh and unrefined without processing, but something is better than nothing, which is what I have at the moment, and since I got a great deal on the horns, I couldnt pass it up

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
CD1E is a piezo driver, so it has a natural roll off starting around 1.2khz
The CSX passives really only do a few things. There are several resistors so the nominal load to the amp will be dictated by what mids are used. The horns themselves have very little resistance-its a lil lightbulb)

you dont need to worry about the power ratios with the Piezo drivers like u would with regular compression drivers

CD1E comp set will sound surprisingly good out of the box with minimal tweaking

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CD1E is a piezo driver, so it has a natural roll off starting around 1.2khz
The CSX passives really only do a few things. There are several resistors so the nominal load to the amp will be dictated by what mids are used. The horns themselves have very little resistance-its a lil lightbulb)

you dont need to worry about the power ratios with the Piezo drivers like u would with regular compression drivers

CD1E comp set will sound surprisingly good out of the box with minimal tweaking
excellent, so pretty much any mid should work very well here, what kind of power should I look at using on here? Ive never used the horns, and not sure about power recommendations, since I cannot pull up the specs from ID

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
remember the horns are 8 ohms so what ever amp you use with the mids the mids will be getting the main power. so just go with something where you won't have to worry about blowing the mids. i've ran an Eclipse EA2000, XA2000, Autotek BTS 7050, 7040, 7030 all to a set of CD1e V2 and it handled the power fine. also make sure you put the xovers someplace they can keep cool they like to get warm.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
You really ought to look into picking up an active HU. Plus the horns will need a bit of EQ to get them to sound right. As far as being 8ohm, that is true, but you're dealing with extremely efficient drivers vs. a 6.5" mid with low efficiency in comparison. 10-15 watts per horn is going to be more than enough to get them very loud, and I wouldn't do it through the passive xovers you have. Ideally, you'll want either a very efficient 6.5-7" mid (pro audio stuff) like the B&C 6NDL38 or 18Sound 6ND430, or even better, an 8" PA mid like the JBL 2118, B&C 8NDL51, 18Sound 8MB400, etc. Another option would be the ID 6x9s if you can find them.

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
the Cd1E are not 8ohm. They are a piezo driver and the only resistance they have is from a tiny light bulb inside, resistance measures in the miliamps if i remember right
the CSX passives has a bunch of resistors inline to help provide a nominal load to the amp based on whatever ohm the Mid is==ID offered a 2ohm version and 4ohm version of Mids.

and Yes they get VERY warm with a decent amount of power. I would even consider not putting the covers on them so they get more ventilation.

Cd1E are not the same thing by any means compared to a regular compression driver and mid set up.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
the Cd1E are not 8ohm. They are a piezo driver and the only resistance they have is from a tiny light bulb inside, resistance measures in the miliamps if i remember right
the CSX passives has a bunch of resistors inline to help provide a nominal load to the amp based on whatever ohm the Mid is==ID offered a 2ohm version and 4ohm version of Mids.

and Yes they get VERY warm with a decent amount of power. I would even consider not putting the covers on them so they get more ventilation.

Cd1E are not the same thing by any means compared to a regular compression driver and mid set up.
Thanks for the clarification ;) I am not as familiar with those. I run the B&C DE500 drivers with full ID horns myself and was basing my comments off my experience with them.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
this is a budget build, not looking to compete, and with engine noise and exhaust, good sound is all I require, and loud enough to enjoy jammin out on the way home with the windows dows

going active is going to happen, probably go cheapy with the standard 880prs unit, and Im looking for a good deal on some 31band eqs as well

Ill look int the pa stuff, aslo, i can fit a 10" driver in todoors without braking a sweat, anything jump out as something that would be good to use in that situation?
sounds like power will not be an issue for me either

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bump
this board moves a lot faster since I last visited

1 - 9 of 9 Posts