DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a person who lives on my street who has a loud subwoofer setup. I've been into car stereo for around 14yrs now and what blows my mind is how loud some subwoofer setups can be. The persons' who lives on my street is exceptionally loud. You can hear him for at least 5min before he goes by my house. Also when he passes and I'm inside my house it's just plain loud. I find it annoying and it gives me a slight headache. I know he hasn't done much damping because when I'm outside the house and he goes by the car rattles like crazy, but still just the sheer loudness he is able to get astonishes me.
I have learned over the years that you only get one set of ears so to me the term loud has a totally different meaning.

How do stereo's like this keep up in terms of midbass?

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Pro audio drivers.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
mostly they dont. lol. I mean I dont know this guy, obviously. but I know people that run 2000 watts with 4 15" and then deck power of a pair 6.5" coaxes. bassheads, lol. they care nothing for midrange, they just want bass.

you might also be surprised how loud it is inside the car. on sub-bass, the wavelengths are soo long, you can get bass that is nearly as loud outside as inside.

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mostly they dont. lol. I mean I dont know this guy, obviously. but I know people that run 2000 watts with 4 15" and then deck power of a pair 6.5" coaxes. bassheads, lol. they care nothing for midrange, they just want bass.

you might also be surprised how loud it is inside the car. on sub-bass, the wavelengths are soo long, you can get bass that is nearly as loud outside as inside.
Yah what intrigues me the most is how happy they are with LOUD. That's really all it is, but I guess whatever makes you happy.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
thats because loud is what turns heads. teeny bobbers are not impressed with how well a system images or how deep the stage is. they will always ask the same question. "does it bump?" "does it hit?" "how loud does it go"

teenagers:rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats because loud is what turns heads. teeny bobbers are not impressed with how well a system images or how deep the stage is. they will always ask the same question. "does it bump?" "does it hit?" "how loud does it go"

This is not a teen though, I have never personally introduced myself because he is on the other end of the street, but when I have driven by I've seen him outside working on his car and he looks to between 25-30yrs old.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
SPL kiddies usually just add tweeters. But most do exactly like min posted, coaxs run off deck power. Turns out when you just play slowed rap "music" you don't have to worry much about SQ. Not that they would anyways.

But a small number of them use excessive amounts of speakers or PA speakers as well. I knew one kid who's parents bought him like 9 sets of cheap crap components (among other things) to put in the H2 they gave him that he had made into a 2 peson vehicle with the est being taken up by 18s.

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SPL kiddies usually just add tweeters. But most do exactly like min posted, coaxs run off deck power. Turns out when you just play slowed rap "music" you don't have to worry much about SQ. Not that they would anyways.

But a small number of them use excessive amounts of speakers or PA speakers as well. I knew one kid who's parents bought him like 9 sets of cheap crap components (among other things) to put in the H2 they gave him that he had made into a 2 peson vehicle with the est being taken up by 18s.
Not true at all. I know we could debate this all day, but with digitally created music you can actually pin point the sound to the exact frequency that is desired. If by slow you mean "chopped and screwed" then you are kind of correct.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts

That's the most annoying thing I hear when people see that I have a pair of 15s. When asked the question I tell them it's a SQ system. That usually leaves them with a blank look. They either don't know what an SQ system is or what I mean by that. If I say it bumps they want to hear it with the subs killing the front stage and it's annoying to change all the settings back and forth so I cut them off before they ask to listen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ive ran a stock front stage for 2 years and just worried about getting loud. im gettin smart now tho i start my first sq build next week! hybrid audio clarus, rockford t400/4, kenwood kiv-bt901, and eclipse sw9122 on rd 1750. im gonna get the sub reconed to handle the full 2k cuz im still not grown out of getting loud :)

·
Registered
454 Posts
ive ran a stock front stage for 2 years and just worried about getting loud. im gettin smart now tho i start my first sq build next week! hybrid audio clarus, rockford t400/4, kenwood kiv-bt901, and eclipse sw9122 on rd 1750. im gonna get the sub reconed to handle the full 2k cuz im still not grown out of getting loud :)
Never grow out of getting loud, that's half the fun of this hobby! I would be willing to bet most of us have the capability of having excessive sub on demand.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts