DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Lookin for a midwoofer (for a friend) that can match the sonic capabilities of ribbons with a maximum depth of 2.9 inches / 73 millimeters?
(id say 2.75" but he thinks he can fit a maximum of 3"..so 2.9" to be safe)

-Frequency range used will be around 60~2000hz (give a take a few)..

-Car is 2003 Civic coupe (mids in doors)

-Price range is about $75 each maximum but preferably around $50 each.

Previous plans were Seas H1224/L18 mids but those have a mounting depth of 3.1".

Current considerations are older or newer Alpine Type-X mids or Seas Lotus Performance mids.

Thanks for lookin,

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hehe L18(Seas) is probably a sweet choice if you could fit it. You can try to make a ring on top of the speaker, so let that ring push against the door panel, that way you can squeeze the .2 inches you need to get the L18! That's what I'm going to try doing in a week or two :)

David

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
That's pretty tough lol :)

I'd say the Seas CA18rly which is ~73mm depth minus the flange or the Vifa a16wg if that doesn't fit, which should be ~70mm.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im going to bring my H1224's over and see if we can get them to fit..

but so far it looks like he wants the Alpine SPX mids depending on the price that we can get them for..

if not then the 'fall woofer' will be the Vifa Classic P17WJOO-04..
http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=8492870.1752&pid=1359

those Vifa A16WG look pretty.... :? ..wimpy....
http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=8492870.1752&pid=1302

and ill tell him about the Seas CA18RLY, those look promising too..!

THANKS!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
265 Posts
That inverted 8" looks pretty interesting. I'm wondering how the frequency response is for that one as well! That CA18RLX is probably a good chioce if he had some nice tweeters that can go 2khz or lower!

Man, If I don't get my 18RNX to fit, I'm going to try those RLX and buy some ribbons :)

The LNX

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
All vifa drivers that I've heard have a sort of velvety, soft sound to them. Very warm sounding drivers. The Seas stuff is generally a bit more neutral, natural sounding.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
npdang said:
The Seas stuff is generally a bit more neutral, natural sounding.
yeah..i just finished my H1224's in the doors and little more dampening.. i'd say that just about describes them. To be honest, im kinda use to that Focal midbass...ive only had focals for ~7 years...... :p

·
Registered
265 Posts
10K2HVN, Nice! I'm waiting to install my CA18RNX too. (waiting for it to come!). Where did you get your damping stuff, any good cheap sources you can recommend me?

Thanks
David

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, the dampener that i use isnt really "cheap"...

its www.SecondSkinAudio.com Damplifier Pro and its pretty expensive but i get it from a local shop thats a dealer from which i can get it for more reasonable prices... thats pretty much why i use it but other things that ive notice is that it dampen very well (better) compared to Dynamat Extreme and a WHOLE lot better then Fatmat that my friend uses... (1 layer of Second Skin Damplifier *regular/not "Pro"* did better then 2 layers of Fatmat!) also, it sticks very very well compared to those two..

I havnt used www.raamaudio.com but i just now heard that they use butyl compound too, so they should be just as good as Second Skin products..

If i couldnt get Second Skin, then i would go with Raammat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts