DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the one items on my list that screws up everything else because I'd really like to know how it performs. This thing is gnarly and I would like to discuss my 2 options involved with this decision. Tubes are cool and would help in my quest for the wierd. I have an extra amp that matches my others that I could sell for the milbert.

http://www.milbert.com/products/tc

1. Go 4 way and no Milbert. Buy a crossover to run three amps to my front stage giving me overkill (not saying it like it's a bad thing) on power as I remove the 2 way passive crossovers. (passive crossover is 2 in, 3 out. 3 way speakers powered by two amps). I'd have 3 amps powering just the front speakers. So headroom vs diminishing returns as I have about 350 watts per side now. I'd be adding 170 watts per side making about 1000 watts just for the front speakers.

2. Keep the passives leaving 2 amps to power the 3-ways and having the ability to adjust levels on each channel. (3' +tweet = one channel, midbass = one channel.) (This is basically all the sound teaking power I'll need when working with Audysey.

I'm using Audysey so tuning is taken care of. My biggest problem with my system is the inability to tweak sounds on my own. While I do like the sound of Imprint, I would like a little bit of personal customization.

With the Milbert, I could adjust the sound by basically adjusting the gains to each passive crossover channel. Going fully active means I'll need to run more speaker wire, I'll have more current draw but I'd be able to adjust gains 3 ways.

I'm just looking for ideas and checking out all the options. There are lots more options but I'm going for weird, here. I have a double din with an extra din. I've got a CDA 9887 for the deck.

·
Banned
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I will bump this mutha every 5 minutes until someone feels obligated to exchange some ideas. This isn't work. It's calculated daydreaming that may very well end up in a financial decision.

·
Banned
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you're all gonna be real friggin' sorry

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
A 250 lbs ball-gagged gimp in your trunk would be pretty weird too, but would it be worth $800?

I like the Milbert, but if you are just looking for a way to adjust gains there are considerably cheaper ways to do it. How about a nice Tru line driver?

·
Banned
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Option 2 if you are going for unique. Got any pics of the Milbert preamp?
I dunno why the pics on that page weren't working
http://www.milbert.com/products the pre's are on the right.

A 250 lbs ball-gagged gimp in your trunk would be pretty weird too, but would it be worth $800?

I like the Milbert, but if you are just looking for a way to adjust gains there are considerably cheaper ways to do it. How about a nice Tru line driver?
I agree and I can get a Sinfoni Premier One (same thing as the Tru really) for about the same as the Tru (about $1000 off) but the tubes glow...that's cool.

Basically, I'm having a hard time justifying going through all the trouble to go active. It took alot of tweaking to get the crossovers set the way I like (MX-33)

What are the odds that adding another amp is going to make any difference power-wise considering diminishing returns...I should be about capped out.

So then I have a wasted amp. I have an even bigger problem with that. The only way around it is to trade the amp for something just as cool....I dunno what that is. Other than an Ipod + 701 + Controller (which are all the toys I'm lacking and may total the coolness factor)

The other thing is the coolness of tubes. My fondest memories of music were of perfect imaging (read :LSD) and tube amps. But...if MultiQ is as good as it's supposed to be, then any coloration the tubes add, should be taken away by MultiQ? That would suck.

Give me ideas. What would you do? Would you seriously add an amp...at all?

·
Banned
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is also the possibility of adding something like a Zapco SX-SlII in replacement of the Milbert, of course, while staying with the amp configuration I've got now. This would allow me to up it to blanced, give me some fine tune eq.......thoughts?

·
Banned
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
iv seen one in action before,
I do think it is one of the DIYMA members..
Maybe it was a difrent tube pre-amp..
Looded about the same from what I can remember.
dude, you don't get to use 'teaser' words....I've seen it in action, and then not mention its qualities. It's against the geneva convention...so how was it?
There aren't very many around so if it looked the same. There is Clestra and a couple others but they get more expensive and harder to find.

·
Registered
641 Posts
This is the one items on my list that screws up everything else because I'd really like to know how it performs. This thing is gnarly and I would like to discuss my 2 options involved with this decision. Tubes are cool and would help in my quest for the wierd. I have an extra amp that matches my others that I could sell for the milbert.

http://www.milbert.com/products/tc

1. Go 4 way and no Milbert. Buy a crossover to run three amps to my front stage giving me overkill (not saying it like it's a bad thing) on power as I remove the 2 way passive crossovers. (passive crossover is 2 in, 3 out. 3 way speakers powered by two amps). I'd have 3 amps powering just the front speakers. So headroom vs diminishing returns as I have about 350 watts per side now. I'd be adding 170 watts per side making about 1000 watts just for the front speakers.

2. Keep the passives leaving 2 amps to power the 3-ways and having the ability to adjust levels on each channel. (3' +tweet = one channel, midbass = one channel.) (This is basically all the sound teaking power I'll need when working with Audysey.

I'm using Audysey so tuning is taken care of. My biggest problem with my system is the inability to tweak sounds on my own. While I do like the sound of Imprint, I would like a little bit of personal customization.

With the Milbert, I could adjust the sound by basically adjusting the gains to each passive crossover channel. Going fully active means I'll need to run more speaker wire, I'll have more current draw but I'd be able to adjust gains 3 ways.

I'm just looking for ideas and checking out all the options. There are lots more options but I'm going for weird, here. I have a double din with an extra din. I've got a CDA 9887 for the deck.
Get the Milbert tube pre-amp...you will not be sorry if you're after a nice rich sound.

·
Banned
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Get the Milbert tube pre-amp...you will not be sorry if you're after a nice rich sound.
so then you've heard it?

·
Banned
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bump

1 - 11 of 11 Posts