DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some obsession with "small" amps. Don't derail this thread with the whole PDX arguement, but I didn't care for some of the personality issues I found with my experience and went a different direction. As the Arc Mini series is not class D; they have intrigued me. Reading much of the posted stuff on here regarding them and the striking similarities to the version from Elf; I decided to "take one for the team". I finally ran across a used Arc and grabbed a BNIB Elf from an online source. Below are the beginnings of the comparison- visual inspection. I will ask those more technically experienced to help me run them through their paces to determine any significant performance characteristic differences.

Boxes....

Strikingly similar packaging method....

Board ID:

You can see that the ARC is a Rev 1.01 and the Elf is a Rev 1.02. I don't know if that has any significance, nor the build date when looking at the differences in the components.

The architecture seems identical with the biggest component differences around the crossover selection section. Most of the individual components on the board are different, but I have no idea what impact they will have on sound/performance.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
very interesting...Im gonna ask the local arc rep if he knows anything. thanks for the side by side comparison pics.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
subscribed to this let me know when you do a sound check on the two side by side.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have asked this before of the guys at Arc, and they claim that there is no other product like the mini. I have even called Elf and they just say no comment. There is one more player in the game as well, and they claim that it is not the same amp.

Wet Sounds Syndicate Series Amplifiers SYN MICRO

I am sure these are all made at one factory just with a few changes. I know the wetsounds amp has an epoxy coating, so that is a plus for boats and open top vehicles. It seems like all of wetsounds amps follow the Arc KS line perfectly from the 1000 watt mono to the 900.6

Maybe you can fine out if there is any real difference between them.

Jason

·
Registered
277 Posts
Im also anxious to hear about the sound comparisons. I have used the Arc 125.2 Mini's in several installations running everything from 2 Arc 8's, 1 Arc 10, ID XS 6.5's, etc, and was ALWAYS impressed with the output of those amps. They did as well, and sometimes better, than normal sized amps.

Never heard of Elf, and I had no idea Wet Sounds was making them. Hurry up and listen to them already!!!

lol.

·
I'm baaaack!!
4,397 Posts
Few more pics.... wish my camera had a macro function....

Hey, wanna keep those nasty hobbit feet of yours out of the pics please? LOL!!!!

I'm very interested to see where this thread goes as well. The amps do look pretty much identical. Except for the added width on the Elf unit and what looks to be somewhat cleaner work on the Arc board that is. However, not being able to really see them up close I don't know if it's simply different technique or a matter of lack of attention to fine detail.

·
Classic cars & McIntosh
846 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Anyone with an ARC 125.4 in hand.. i need to make sure before i make my purchases possibly today... the 125.4 does NOT come with speaker level inputs, right?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
which one has the black/gold caps? is that the arc or the elf?

and fyi, I heard about these a few weeks ago, if interested the 4 channels is not available yet, will bein 90 days I was emailed from the parent website

1 - 20 of 194 Posts