DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

261 - 280 of 528 Posts

·
DIYMA lurker
802 Posts
Well, the plug-ins are very similar already. The new software just does everything you need it to, like any other DSP.

Oh, and I'm not thinking about ordering one for my car; I'm thinking about ordering one for the wall in my garage, where I can find a place to put it. :laugh:

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm tempted to try it, but I'm still nervous about the line out voltage. I do like the fact that they included both balanced and unbalanced connections.

On a side note, does anyone running the mini's use a regulator on the PSU?

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
2x8 comes with its own specific plug in. When I inquired about the 2x4s I was told about the 2x8.. then I asked and got the following response:

With the 2x8 Kit is the plug in included? if not, what plug in will I have to purchase for it?

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff,

The plug-in is included in the price of this special offer.
We'll update the website shortly with the datasheet of the plug-in and user manual. We'll point you out to the link once online.

Please stay tuned for more info.

Best Regards

miniDSP Dev Team

then they followed up:
The plug-in datasheet is now available online in the product page: miniDSP 2x8 kit | miniDSP

I like the idea of the 2x8 but it is too big of a foot print for me.. I was all set to order 2 2x4 but the noise kept me from it, but now with the Isolated DC-DC I am back to doing this and dumping my Passive Crossovers. still looking at two of the 2x4s though due to size

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I really want to hop up on these and I did my research and theory but until someone comes up with a repeatedly tested, working, noise free procedure like this with all components needed:

Mini dsp
isolator
pac tr7 turn on and off delay
line driver

Then Im not going to take the risk as I have bad luck with adding any processors without lots of noise along with them. Only audiocontrol products seem to be noise free for me. Also the older PG crossovers to as they had switching ground type button as well.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Any fine details on the analog I/O stages of the new DSP?
That is one of the things holding me back. The manufacturer does not want to release design details that would be important to someone interested in SQ. I have requested schematics for input circuit and on board power supply but was politely refused. It would not seem to make sense to invest all the effort they have in the DSP design only to cut corners on opamps and input or output capacitors but Alpine did that on the H701.

The $100 entry price for mini-DSP is enough to be very tempting just to play with it. The $299 price for the new board requires some careful weighing of pros and cons. You could easily spend another $100 on software, enclosure, noise filters, fuses, etc. I picked up a used Zapco DSP-6 a couple of years ago for $500. I won't drop that coin on the new mini-DSP board until I know more about its analog design.

·
Registered
319 Posts
As far as the noise issue goes, Stinger makes a ground loop isolator that smply runs inline with the RCA input. Wouldn't that be effective in taking care of any noise issues?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I got the 12v power isolator mentioned above and it works great with 0 noise regardless of the ground locations I tried. I already had found a setup of grounding that worked pretty well but I got the isolator unit just because it was cheap and I wanted to be able to post another attempt with it here to help the minidsp community.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
i'm sorry i didn't read the entire review, or any of the 10 pages of posts. but i read most of the reveiew, but i seemed to miss if it requires to be powered up from the car to be programmed, if i'm using this strickly as a cross over, can't i just program it for the cross over points and plug it in?

·
Human (not a robot)
2,365 Posts
i'm sorry i didn't read the entire review, or any of the 10 pages of posts. but i read most of the reveiew, but i seemed to miss if it requires to be powered up from the car to be programmed, if i'm using this strickly as a cross over, can't i just program it for the cross over points and plug it in?
The miniDSP still needs a power supply to run. You can program it with the USB port serving as the power supply but when it is in the car it is just like any other active component; it needs power and ground.

When I am testing my miniDSP I just use a 9V battery as the power supply so there is no noise....this is not a long term option for using it in the car though.

·
Registered
70 Posts
These minidsp's look to be a good product, i'd have thought they would have been more popular on the forum seeing as the noise issues have been resolved ?

How do you find the sound results after you've tuned/set up ?

As in you can get a good tune with out the dsp adding/removing/degrading to the signal in any adverse way ?

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
I just purchased 2 X 4 to use as an active x-over between my mids and tweets on an ms-8 set-up. It's a bit of overkill, but it comes out cheaper than buying an audiocontrol x-over and I can T/A (just in case) with the mini dsp..the A-C unit cannot.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Has anyone yet figured out what is the best form of a power converter?
I have a Power inverter with a USB output, would that thing work well?

Eh, scratch that, I have to turn that on manually. Otherwise it'll wear out my battery if it sits and spins its fan. Is there a good option for something that can turn on with a remote wire?

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Dunno....I'm still waiting on mine, due to the fact that we just had a postal strike and the mail is just starting to SLOWLY crawl back up to speed.

·
Registered
564 Posts
It'd be real nice if someone put together a kit for the noise issues. One isolator was proposed which required soldering, and I'm really no good at that...

But it requires

Turn-on delay
Isolator
Turn-off delay

it seems?

261 - 280 of 528 Posts