DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

321 - 340 of 528 Posts

·
Banned
2,895 Posts
Alright, thanks. Amps aren't quite that cool... I could probably bandpass with lpf from hu and hpf from amp but I'd rather just process all the signals.

Would it be better to go with two 2x4 or one 2x8? Or no difference?
The 2x8 is considerably more expensive but you don't have to buy the programs to run it. Although the 2x4s come in a nice enclosure so the electrical components aren't exposed.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
I have been reading up on these and my question is this, I want 3 active up front with sub in rear, I already have and AC dqx and really want this for the TA aspect...anyone know which would be best? I am not opposed to using the mini dsp and totally diconecting the dqx and using the mini dsp for it all...I just want to make sure I have the time alignment!

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
I have been reading up on these and my question is this, I want 3 active up front with sub in rear, I already have and AC dqx and really want this for the TA aspect...anyone know which would be best? I am not opposed to using the mini dsp and totally diconecting the dqx and using the mini dsp for it all...I just want to make sure I have the time alignment!
The 2x8 minidsp can handle everything you need (EQ, TA and XOVER), you can ditch the audio control unless you are using it as a line output converter as well. And even then, I think there is a version of the 2x8 that can handle line input but please don't quote me on that.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
The 2x8 minidsp can handle everything you need (EQ, TA and XOVER), you can ditch the audio control unless you are using it as a line output converter as well. And even then, I think there is a version of the 2x8 that can handle line input but please don't quote me on that.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
You could do away with the DQX. You should be able to do a pair of 2x4 OR a 2x8 for what you want to do. The miniDSP forum should be able to answer any other questions you would have as well.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
You could do away with the DQX. You should be able to do a pair of 2x4 OR a 2x8 for what you want to do. The miniDSP forum should be able to answer any other questions you would have as well.
Thank you! I guess I didn't realize there was a miniDSP forum, but I do now!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Purchased a minidsp 2x4 with 2 way advanced plug in to upgrade the system in my 2000 Blazer from 2way + sub to a 3way + sub configuration. Have a Pioneer P880PRS that I have been using to run an active 2way + sub system. Now using P880Prs to cross subwoofer & tweets, set midrange output to bypass & running it through minidsp to bandpass midbass & midrange drivers. The 2x4 along with the miniDC isolator work perfectly, no noise or turn on/off pops & the mini offers tons of control for the mids & midbass. Installed the minidsp inside the center console where the OEM cassette player was originally mounted with a panel mounted USB connector to access the board. Extremely happy with this purchase. Unit arrived 9 days after ordering. E-mailed with a question to minidsp site & got reply within 2 hours. Excellent customer service.
Want to say thanks to Bikin and all who have contributed to this thread. Now I'm gonna go tweak my PEQ :)

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
Crap! I must be somewhat illiterate. I bought mine along with the "4way PEQ Crossover" plugin and I just realized that it IS NOT stereo despite the presence of two input channels. Luckily, I think all I need is a different plugin to run a stereo 2-->4 crossover and PEQ setup such as the "2way PEQ Crossover". Duh. At least I'm only out $10. :rolleyes:
I don't understand. If there are two inputs, why isn't it stereo?

Couldn't input 1 be used as the left channel and input 2 as the right channel? Or does the "4way PEQ Crossover" plugin require that both inputs receive the same signal (i.e. both left or both right)?

Say I wanted to do a 4-way setup using 2 miniDSP 2x4s... Couldn't I input a stereo signal to miniDSP #1 and have stereo output for the tweeters and midranges, and then input the same stereo signal (split from the HU) to miniDSP #2 and have stereo output for the midbasses and subwoofer(s)?

·
Registered
316 Posts
I don't understand. If there are two inputs, why isn't it stereo?

Couldn't input 1 be used as the left channel and input 2 as the right channel? Or does the "4way PEQ Crossover" plugin require that both inputs receive the same signal (i.e. both left or both right)?

Say I wanted to do a 4-way setup using 2 miniDSP 2x4s... Couldn't I input a stereo signal to miniDSP #1 and have stereo output for the tweeters and midranges, and then input the same stereo signal (split from the HU) to miniDSP #2 and have stereo output for the midbasses and subwoofer(s)?
I done the same thing, I bought the 4 way plugin thinking I have 4 speakers but in actual fact I needed the 2-way.

At the beginning of the 4way plugin it asks what input you would like to use, it then can take a left or a right source and using the crossover create output for say tweeter, mid, midbass and subwoofer.

So to use the 4way plug in you need two 2x4 boards one for left and one for right.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I done the same thing, I bought the 4 way plugin thinking I have 4 speakers but in actual fact I needed the 2-way.

At the beginning of the 4way plugin it asks what input you would like to use, it then can take a left or a right source and using the crossover create output for say tweeter, mid, midbass and subwoofer.

So to use the 4way plug in you need two 2x4 boards one for left and one for right.
Good to know - thanks!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I finally ordered two miniDSP 2x4s with the miniDC Isolator and received them about a week ago. I plan on installing them tomorrow. The 0.9V output from these devices worries me. My amps have a gain adjustment from 6.5V to as low as 0.4V. That's all good and well, but I have no idea if there will be a lot of noise (hiss) running the gains that high. I read a post earlier in this thread from someone who had their amp's gain set to max and there was no hiss, but I don't know if I will be that lucky...

So I am wondering what would be the cheapest, easiest way to boost the output of a miniDSP in case I need to go that route? Being that I have two miniDSP 2x4s, I would want all 8 channels boosted (4V sounds good). I didn't want to have to go buy a fancy line driver. I really wish they made the miniDSP with a variable output pot :(

·
11,394 Posts
Edcor WSM or MSM transformers. 1:2 or 1:4 would step the voltage up, provide isolation, could do balanced outputs if you wanted. Costs about $12-15 each.

·
Registered
5,513 Posts
Are these still the best value and performance option? I have the Pioneer 80PRS and the crossover section leaves alot to be desired. So I'm going to need seperate DSPs to run a 4 way active setup.
Would 2 of the miniDSP's still be the best option to go with? The 2x8 seems to be lacking the 31 band graphic EQ section which would be a big bonus, otherwise I'd consider that. The Mosconi 6 to 8 I believe is considerably more expensive...

:confused:

·
Mobile Audio SQ
3,355 Posts
Are these still the best value and performance option? I have the Pioneer 80PRS and the crossover section leaves alot to be desired. So I'm going to need seperate DSPs to run a 4 way active setup.
Would 2 of the miniDSP's still be the best option to go with? The 2x8 seems to be lacking the 31 band graphic EQ section which would be a big bonus, otherwise I'd consider that. The Mosconi 6 to 8 I believe is considerably more expensive...

You may be able to purchase the 31 band as a plug in for $10. I am leaning towards the MiniDSP 2X8 for my build.

·
Registered
221 Posts

What do you find lacking in the 80PRS crossover section? I am curious because I was thinking of buying the 80PRS and one mini DSP to allow me to still do a 2 way front stage, a subwoofer, and rear channels for the times that my kids are in the back seat. The idea would be to use head unit to provide high pass to the front and rear channels and use the mini DSP to provide front xover between midbass and a wide range driver like the Fountek 3" or something similar. I am not set on the Fountek yet but used it as an example of what I am thinking of.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
What do you find lacking in the 80PRS crossover section? I am curious because I was thinking of buying the 80PRS and one mini DSP to allow me to still do a 2 way front stage, a subwoofer, and rear channels for the times that my kids are in the back seat. The idea would be to use head unit to provide high pass to the front and rear channels and use the mini DSP to provide front xover between midbass and a wide range driver like the Fountek 3" or something similar. I am not set on the Fountek yet but used it as an example of what I am thinking of.
The "high" crossover point on the P80 is a bit too high for people who want to run a 2-way wideband setup (around 1600hz afaik). For your planned setup it would still work just fine (P80=front, rear, sub; MiniDSP=front split to 2-way system).

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
You may be able to purchase the 31 band as a plug in for $10. I am leaning towards the MiniDSP 2X8 for my build.
Keep in mind last time I checked you could purchase as many plugins as you wanted, but each board can only run one plugin...

You don't want 31band anyway, you want bi-quad ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hey guys,

I have been out of the car audio scene for few years now but I recently purchased a '06 TL so now the upgrade bug is back. I want to upgrade the drivers in the car but retain the factory navigation system with radio.

If I want to do a 2-way front system with a Center channel with two rears and a sub (7.1), would the 2x8 or the 2x4 (2) be feasible?

321 - 340 of 528 Posts