DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 528 Posts

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Another great review, Erin. Don't know where you find the time!

But thank you for taking the time and expense to check this out. It seems to be an amazing group of products, especially for the cost. And the support from Tony and company seem very promising!

I personally think it would be much better in a Home Audio Environment...I forsee too many UI/Control workarounds for "easy" or universal implementation in car audio, at least for most of the "tweakers" here, including myself, lol.

The Processing Power is simply amazing, but when you put something like this in a car, well it's really ALL ABOUT the UI, as you have discovered through all of your experimenting and gear swaps. I'm always the pessimist, sorry, lol. At least the PS solution is easy and inexpensive. I'm not writing these off just yet though. ;)

So, will this setup replace your BitOne1 anytime soon?

From your included photos I'm assuming that you are using the ANALOG Output from your BitOne1. This is feeding the ANALOG Inputs of the MiniDSP board, and then Output a single Stereo channel Pair via ANALOG Out of the MiniDSP to the JL HD Amp's RCA Inputs?

And so far you've tested a single board connected to your system, not multiples, right? I realize that this is most likely for simplicity's sake in quickly evaluating the CAPABILITY of this unit, while at the same time utilizing your existing system (so you don't have to rewire everything). I would do the same fo sure!

So here are a few more Questions, not directed at you specifically, but just food for thought for the DIYMA community in general:

1. What happens when you want to take full advantage of this unit's power by using a Direct Digital Source to feed the inputs? For instance using the Logitech Squeezebox Touch which has Analog RCA, and S/PDIF via Optical Toslink, and Coaxial Digital Ouputs. Am I wrong in assuming that most of us here want to utilize a Digital Source? I mean it is 2010, not the 80's, no? ;)

2. VOLUME CONTROL (when using a DIGITAL INPUT into the MiniDSP without a Computer attached for instantaneous volume control). Take your Head Unit and BitOne1 out of the equation for a moment. If you want to send the MiniDSP a DIGITAL S/PDIF or I2S signal (and it will accept both of these, correct?) how would you control volume? A pot or MVC before the amps, or is there a Digital VC available?

3. PRESETS. Would there be any way to implement a small/separate EPROM I/O board with remote hardwired buttons that would allow you to switch between your "saved" EQ/TA/XO group settings WITHOUT the need to have a computer attached? I'm sure we would all like to switch between several different settings such as, Driver Seat Only, Front (Both Front Seats), ALL SEATS, On-the-Highway Curve, Competition Curves, etc. Or just to easily compare different XO/EQ setups on the fly. Home users might want to switch between Classical, Movies, Rock, etc.

Control via BlueTooth al a the 360.2, or even WiFi would be ideal. But realistically, I don't see that happening. If so, an inexpensive NetBook or even an iPhone/iTouch/iPad app to control it would be awesome. I guess a NetBook or Tablet via USB would still be pretty slick, since these DSP boards are doing all of the resource-intensive processing on the board itself so they shouldn't be a CPU/resource hog. I guess some of this is dependent upon the software, but you haven't had any problems/hangups using your laptop since Tony made the software changes, right?

I'll be watching this one... :)

·
Registered
687 Posts
Thanks for the informative write-up, it is very helpful.

Quick question, one of the pics showed what looked to be mounting hardware. Are these boards stackable?

What is the maximum time delay per channel? It looked like 7.5mS on one of the pics, is that correct?

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Thanks for the informative write-up, it is very helpful.

Quick question, one of the pics showed what looked to be mounting hardware. Are these boards stackable?

What is the maximum time delay per channel? It looked like 7.5mS on one of the pics, is that correct?
Yes the boards are stackable with supplied hardware, the MiniDSP has all its capabilities in the plug-in portion

·
18,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Replies bolded in your quote...

Another great review, Erin. Don't know where you find the time!

Sometimes I get on a roll... what can I say? ;)
No, seriously, the hardest part for me is to get started. Once I get started I find that I can't stop (that's what she said). :surprised:

But thank you for taking the time and expense to check this out. It seems to be an amazing group of products, especially for the cost. And the support from Tony and company seem very promising!

I personally think it would be much better in a Home Audio Environment...I forsee too many UI/Control workarounds for "easy" or universal implementation in car audio, at least for most of the "tweakers" here, including myself, lol.

Home Audio was, I believe, the original intended market. Well, I guess I should say that it was the initial market. But, we're so akin, it's an easy transfer.
Honestly, it's no harder to put this in your car than it would be to put another processor in. In fact, I'd say it's easier due to less wires. One USB per board for power and that's it. The other things I listed are options. You don't have to have the turn on delay for your amps. And you really don't need a line driver if your amps' noise floor is up to par.

The Processing Power is simply amazing, but when you put something like this in a car, well it's really ALL ABOUT the UI, as you have discovered through all of your experimenting and gear swaps. I'm always the pessimist, sorry, lol. At least the PS solution is easy and inexpensive. I'm not writing these off just yet though. ;)

Agreed about the GUI, but again, look at the price differential. Is it worth $400-500 for something like the bitone's GUI? That's a tough call if you have the coin. It's an easy call if you don't. ;)

So, will this setup replace your BitOne1 anytime soon?

Nope. I can't possibly change gear again. I'm burnt out. If I were shopping for a processor, I'd be buying this one, though. I can say that with 100% certainty.

From your included photos I'm assuming that you are using the ANALOG Output from your BitOne1. This is feeding the ANALOG Inputs of the MiniDSP board, and then Output a single Stereo channel Pair via ANALOG Out of the MiniDSP to the JL HD Amp's RCA Inputs?

Yes.

And so far you've tested a single board connected to your system, not multiples, right? I realize that this is most likely for simplicity's sake in quickly evaluating the CAPABILITY of this unit, while at the same time utilizing your existing system (so you don't have to rewire everything). I would do the same fo sure!

Yes.

So here are a few more Questions, not directed at you specifically, but just food for thought for the DIYMA community in general:

1. What happens when you want to take full advantage of this unit's power by using a Direct Digital Source to feed the inputs? For instance using the Logitech Squeezebox Touch which has Analog RCA, and S/PDIF via Optical Toslink, and Coaxial Digital Ouputs. Am I wrong in assuming that most of us here want to utilize a Digital Source? I mean it is 2010, not the 80's, no? ;)

They do have digital input boards, as mentioned at the beginning of this writeup. I linked it. It's called the miniDIGI.

2. VOLUME CONTROL (when using a DIGITAL INPUT into the MiniDSP without a Computer attached for instantaneous volume control). Take your Head Unit and BitOne1 out of the equation for a moment. If you want to send the MiniDSP a DIGITAL S/PDIF or I2S signal (and it will accept both of these, correct?) how would you control volume? A pot or MVC before the amps, or is there a Digital VC available?

If you check the support section of their website they specifically tell you how to wire a pot in for volume control. A $5 add-on. Easy as pie.

3. PRESETS. Would there be any way to implement a small/separate EPROM I/O board with remote hardwired buttons that would allow you to switch between your "saved" EQ/TA/XO group settings WITHOUT the need to have a computer attached? I'm sure we would all like to switch between several different settings such as, Driver Seat Only, Front (Both Front Seats), ALL SEATS, On-the-Highway Curve, Competition Curves, etc. Or just to easily compare different XO/EQ setups on the fly. Home users might want to switch between Classical, Movies, Rock, etc.

No pre-sets that I see. I honestly don't know how I didn't think of mentioning that to Tony.
I don't really see a way to do this, though, without an external screen of some sort, tied to this board. Again, this guy is simple. At it's price, I wouldn't really expect the luxury of pre-sets.

Control via BlueTooth al a the 360.2, or even WiFi would be ideal. But realistically, I don't see that happening. If so, an inexpensive NetBook or even an iPhone/iTouch/iPad app to control it would be awesome. I guess a NetBook or Tablet via USB would still be pretty slick, since these DSP boards are doing all of the resource-intensive processing on the board itself so they shouldn't be a CPU/resource hog. I guess some of this is dependent upon the software, but you haven't had any problems/hangups using your laptop since Tony made the software changes, right?

Tony will see this thread. If you'd like, you can go to their website and suggest the above there. Whether or not they use the advice,
they'll answer. They always do.

I'll be watching this one... :)

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
As they say in Down Under, "You're On It, Blue Bonnet", lol! or "'Good on ya, mate!"

DOH! Thanks for the speedy response and hand-holding. I scanned the site too quickly! You're absolutely right, most of the Answers were already there!

Whhhhaaaaaaatt!!?? No changes to your car anymore? What if I send you a case of "5-Hour Energy", lol?

Once you get started... :laugh:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Awesome review of all the functions.

While it may be premature, is there any consensus about the sound quality from the usage up to this point?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Thanks for sharing this product and the review. I'm in the market for a processor and I was going to get a h701, but I think that may change.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Erin - maybe a dumb question because I missed it - It is USB powered, one USB input, and you are using the adapter to power it. I assume this to be that when you want to tune you unplug it from the power adapter, plug it into the laptop (which powers the USB) and make your changes, then unplug it an put it back in the adapter, which then powers it again?

Is there another way to power the unit, other than USB? If not, it seems this would require a HTPC set up in house to work - or a phone charger adapter or something. Or is there some kind of other power adapter as well?

Thanks

·
18,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I assume this to be that when you want to tune you unplug it from the power adapter, plug it into the laptop (which powers the USB) and make your changes, then unplug it an put it back in the adapter, which then powers it again?
Yep, that's how I chose to do it for simplicity.

Is there another way to power the unit, other than USB?
Yes, you can hardwire it as mentioned in some part of my novel. ;)

The board comes with the female adapter end. It's a 20 pin type socket IIRC. You can order the male adapter, wire into the male adapter, and have a plug-in harness. :)

They actually have a tech note on this very thing on their website:
http://www.minidsp.com/images/documents/External DC.pdf

I highly suggest everyone look at this tech note page to see the other things they discuss:
MiniDSP - Downloads

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
How much was shipping from Hong Kong?

·
18,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
PLEASE READ:

Just as an FYI, for anyone who wants to copy what I've written in this review and paste it on another site, I would at least like the credit when you link it. You don't have to provide a linkback, just give credit to the author.

It's not like I think I'm king shit because I can type. It's that I spent 2.5 hours typing this stuff up, taking pictures, and trying to document the steps and my thoughts on it. Copying and pasting my write-up without at least giving me credit, in my opinion, is kind of crappy. Just sayin'.

*you know who you are. I will not discuss the matter any further.*

- Erin

Daddy Just Hit Mommy, Dane Cook: Retaliation, Dane Cook, Comedy, Sound Bite

·
Registered
194 Posts
So from what I can tell, if you were looking to make up a simple little T/A box, you'd get two of these modules, plus the plugin software?

(Based on my understanding of 2 inputs in, 4 out, so you'd only use 2 outs on each module)

A very attractive option...

·
18,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
So from what I can tell, if you were looking to make up a simple little T/A box, you'd get two of these modules, plus the plugin software?

(Based on my understanding of 2 inputs in, 4 out, so you'd only use 2 outs on each module)

A very attractive option...

Why would you think you could only use two outputs?

When you say "t/a box", are you talking only about time alignment?

This thing does 4-way out. There's 4 channels. Each channel has t/a and other features.

·
Registered
40 Posts
bikinpunk,

Thank you for the excellent write up. As a newbie this seems simple enough to setup. I've been wanting to go active for a long time but other options seemed to costly or too complicated. I will be starting with a simple 2 way set-up so I will only need one unit.

21 - 40 of 528 Posts