DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

421 - 440 of 528 Posts

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
MinDSP does it one channel at a time and it has the option to link pairs of channels. At least that is how the 2x8 works.

Get the latest plugin for the 2x8.. it allows 0.1db increments on level.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
The mini dsp 2 x 8 has a built in dc to dc voltage isolator ;)
Do you mean the boxed version or the stand alone board? Because at least for the board itself, the manual states that "the miniDSP 2x8 requires a 12V regulated power supply of at least 1.5A (18W)".

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Mini DSP 2 x 4 Question:

Can I run a set of full range speakers, 1 tweeter, & one subwoofer?

Additional:

HiVi B3N full range speakers will either be installed in my kick panels or right under my pillars. This will of course be my front stage.

That leaves me with 2 channels from the Mini DSP. I'd like to use one for a single subwoofer. Now I have an empty channel. Can I run a single tweeter or is this a bad idea? ...I know w/ MTM configurations, you want to get your drivers as close as possible. Tweeter would most likely be ran center dash.

Thanks
I do not believe i've seen anything where the mini dsp can separately crossover right and left on one of the pairs.
2x4 doesn't actually know "left" and "right" it only knows channel 1, 2, 3, 4. How you wire and how you link/pair connections is what determines left and right. As long as you have 4 unique connections, you have completely separate processing (crossover, time alignment, EQ, etc) on each channel. So your front stereo pair and single tweeter and single sub can be served from a single 2x4.
I don't know what kind of system you would run with this, considering I don't think 2x4 plugins have center-channel-useful features, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I don't know what kind of system you would run with this, considering I don't think 2x4 plugins have center-channel-useful features, but I could be wrong.
I guess I was wrong: Rear/Center Channel | miniDSP
Looks like it doesn't have as much crossover or EQ power as the 2.1 Advanced, but might be worth the tradeoff to get yourself the L-R or L+R, etc capability. I didn't know that was available. Thanks thehatedguy

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
got schooled today! i love it. man, the more i read about this unit and see the advancements in plugins, the more I want to use it, but I don't like having to buy two boxes to make it work when my head unit will get me really close.

·
11,394 Posts
The thing that does suck, or could suck is that you can only run one plug in at a time on each processor. So you would need a processor just for that. And L+R for the center isn't really advanced....

·
Registered
11,931 Posts
The thing that does suck, or could suck is that you can only run one plug in at a time on each processor. So you would need a processor just for that. And L+R for the center isn't really advanced....
I agree, would be nice if they could offer an "all plug-ins" option for a bit more than the singles. even if it was $30, would still be a bargain.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I was wondering do they make these with a box to cover and protect it? and are they powerful enough to provide sound processing for a a whole system (ie. front components, center, rears, sub,).....How many would I have to get to support the whole system? What software "plug-in" would I need to handle the task? How many RCA's would I need?

What computer operating system does this work well with?
I may have over looked the answer to some of these questions.....Please indulge me.

·
Registered
11,931 Posts
I was wondering do they make these with a box to cover and protect it? and are they powerful enough to provide sound processing for a a whole system (ie. front components, center, rears, sub,).....How many would I have to get to support the whole system? What software "plug-in" would I need to handle the task? How many RCA's would I need?

I may have over looked the answer to some of these questions.....Please indulge me.
as the name suggests, the 2x4 is 2ch input 4ch output. so the complexity of your system will dictate how many you need.

they have a 31band GEQ, 7band PEQ and rear/center plugin for them, but you can only use 1 plugin per module.

They have a USB that is PC compatible. at $100 a peice, they are good bang for the buck.

they also have a 2x8 and 8x8 board. (I'll let you figure that one out ;) )

·
Registered
1,913 Posts

All of this information is covered on their site, their FAQ, and this thread.

·
Registered
385 Posts
as the name suggests, the 2x4 is 2ch input 4ch output. so the complexity of your system will dictate how many you need.

they have a 31band GEQ, 7band PEQ and rear/center plugin for them, but you can only use 1 plugin per module.

They have a USB that is PC compatible. at $100 a peice, they are good bang for the buck.

they also have a 2x8 and 8x8 board. (I'll let you figure that one out ;) )
So excuse my novice attempt at understanding how many I would need (if I went this way).....Would I need 2 different modules or more?
Is that compatible with any/all PC operating system?

So you saying I would have to build something to cover these? ( I'm not a hands on type guy for that......more off a plug and play guy.)

·
Registered
11,931 Posts
for your example of front, center, rear, sub. you would need 2. the 2x4 does come in a pre-boxed version.($125) the 2x8/8x8 do not.

I dont know every type of OS they support, best to look on thier site. Pretty sure XP/win7 are supported.

·
Registered
385 Posts
for your example of front, center, rear, sub. you would need 2. the 2x4 does come in a pre-boxed version.($125) the 2x8/8x8 do not.

I dont know every type of OS they support, best to look on thier site. Pretty sure XP/win7 are supported.
Cool.....Its good to have options....So its between this miniDSP and the Rockford Fostgate 3sixty3

So how long you been running this in your system? How has it improved your sound stage?

To be honest....anything in my car would increase my current stock setup of 14 yrs.

·
Registered
11,931 Posts
They do now...have for a few months that I know of.
really? I have not seen it. the only one I have seen in an enclosure are the 4x10 and nanodigi.

***edit, nevermind, I just noticed the nano4x10 is the 2x8 in a box.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Question about something I noticed on the minidsp product page. They state that you get 2V in/out on the RCA plugs and then 4V in/out on the terminal blocks with an unbalanced signal and 8V with a balanced signal. Suppose one had 2V out max from an aftermarket HU. Could you run that into the RCA inputs and then make some terminal block to RCA leads to get 4V signal into an amp? The main purpose of which would be to reduce input gains on the amp thereby lowering noise floor, etc.

NVM, after more carefully reading the manual, it appears the terminal blocks are ONLY balanced in/outs.

·
Registered
5,513 Posts
Any benefits from using a MS-8 and a minidsp 8x8? I know the MS-8 does some strange things with the midbass and I was thinking using the minidsp for tweaking the ms-8. Thoughts?
IF you did it, you should run the miniDSP in front of the MS8 so you'll get the higher voltage out from the MS8 to the amps. In addition, I'd leave the MiniDSP flat with no settings applied, then run the MS8 and let it do its thing, then you can begin tweaking with the MiniDSP.

It's probably a bit over-kill though to use both.

421 - 440 of 528 Posts