DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 528 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
I'm a little confused (and I know you're probably tired of all the questions but my curiosity is killing me). I have the 880prs running a 2-way+sub system. Say I run the RCA from the "mid" on the prs network to one of these little miniDSP guys, could I effectively use and tune both a midrange and midbass from the miniDSP and tune the tweeter/sub from the 880prs? If so, my move to a 4-way system just got about $500 cheaper. :)

Thanks for the awesome writeup!!

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
bikinpunk,

Thank you for the excellent write up. As a newbie this seems simple enough to setup. I've been wanting to go active for a long time but other options seemed to costly or too complicated. I will be starting with a simple 2 way set-up so I will only need one unit.
My guess is, each unit has a delay of signal in processing signal out. It's why Andy W of JBL says you need to let the MS8 do bass management. because of the delay.

So your pioneer has a delay due to processing, the Mini most likely has a delay as well. It may or may not make a difference. Especially when you daisy chain processing units of different manufacturers.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
My guess is, each unit has a delay of signal in processing signal out. It's why Andy W of JBL says you need to let the MS8 do bass management. because of the delay.

So your pioneer has a delay due to processing, the Mini most likely has a delay as well. It may or may not make a difference. Especially when you daisy chain processing units of different manufacturers.
Should make a huge difference since the delay is on top of whatever the head unit takes to do its DSP.

MiniDSP - Latency - MiniDSP

"Merrick,

Latency indeed depends on the plug-in that is loaded and the filters enabled as you correctly pointed it out. 1.09ms is for the stereo 2 way, including ADC/DAC path.

The latency is indeed fixed once the filter enabled. You could expect that by enabling LR filter (4th order) you would get up to 2.5ms or so once again from ADC to DAC.

Hope this makes sense,

miniDSP Dev Team"

2.5ms= 33 inches

Edit: Although, if you can delay the tweeter and sub channel by that amount and still have enough delay headroom for the normal T/A'ing, you can put all outputs back in line with each other.

·
18,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
If you're talking numbers only, then I agree, you have a problem. But, since you're setting up time delay on a relative scale based on what you hear, I don't see the issue. At the end of the day, you're going to make changes to your system so that you get the desired result. The overall delay of one component will not effect this because you're tuning manually. The only problem I would see is if the initial delay was so far beyond what the other outputs were capable of matching, that you would never be able to sync drivers up. Ie: Your headunit delays your midrange/midbass by 30ms, and your other source of DSP doesn't have the ability to 'catch up' to this. This isn't the case here, though.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see an issue here.

·
18,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Since I'm starting up a home audio project I decided to bring the miniDSP inside the house and set it up in my computer room. The future setup will be a set of bookshelves... yadda yadda.
Just wanted to share a quick 'enclosure' I made for this with some scrap perforated aluminum and ABS plastic.

And a couple shots of the computer room setup with my new adcom four channel that will be used to power the bookshelves. the miniDSP will be used as the 4-way splitter so I can figure out what crossover and levels works best for that setup.
So, beyond being great for the car, it's a dang cheap way to test drivers before building the passive crossovers.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Sweet! It looks like it'll be a nice setup. Love the perf alum. Paint all of the hardware black ftw. I also love your monitor stand. I've got one just like it. ;)
But no DIY bookshelf speaks?!? I'm confused, son. I'm sure they'll be coming soon enough.

Pick yourself up a "Logitech Lighted Keyboard". It'll go perfect with the rest of your setup and it's the best keyboard you will EVER use! I've tried them all, including all of the Mac k'boards. The Logitech has White LED backlit keys with 3 levels of brightness or you can turn them off. But that's not why I bought it. It has the best feeling key action you will ever try. It's also sealed and very durable. Thought I suggest it since you do A LOT of typing on here, lol. Trust me, you'll love it as much as your 12M's. It's got the heft of the SS build quality as well. Just get one. Your fingers and hands will love you, haha.

We need to talk about your wiring skilz, tho! Haha. Clean that up, boy. ;)

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Since I'm starting up a home audio project I decided to bring the miniDSP inside the house and set it up in my computer room. The future setup will be a set of bookshelves... yadda yadda.
Just wanted to share a quick 'enclosure' I made for this with some scrap perforated aluminum and ABS plastic.

And a couple shots of the computer room setup with my new adcom four channel that will be used to power the bookshelves. the miniDSP will be used as the 4-way splitter so I can figure out what crossover and levels works best for that setup.
So, beyond being great for the car, it's a dang cheap way to test drivers before building the passive crossovers.

Or no passive at all.

·
18,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Exactly. ;)

I'm planning on picking up a miniDIGI at some point down the line, too. I'd really like to stack a miniDIGI and 2 miniAMPs. That would be a sweet little setup, but the drivers I use all require more than I can get out of a miniamp. At least in regards to using them in a listening room where I'm further away from the speakers, which is a project I hope to start on early Fall.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Exactly. ;)

I'm planning on picking up a miniDIGI at some point down the line, too. I'd really like to stack a miniDIGI and 2 miniAMPs. That would be a sweet little setup, but the drivers I use all require more than I can get out of a miniamp. At least in regards to using them in a listening room where I'm further away from the speakers, which is a project I hope to start on early Fall.
Maybe a miniDSP and 2 miniAMPs per speaker in an open baffle or high efficiency setup.

·
18,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I also love your monitor stand. I've got one just like it. ;)
The best part is the fact that about a month ago we were looking around for the extra printer paper "I know I bought". I found it today. It hadn't moved, either. :rolleyes:

But no DIY bookshelf speaks?!? I'm confused, son. I'm sure they'll be coming soon enough.
That's coming...
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b138/bikinpunk/IMG_8794.jpg
+
http://northcreekmusic.com/Drivers/NorthD25.pdf
or
Scan-speak Discovery R2604/8320 Ring Radiator Tweeter from Madisound
or
SB-Acoustics SB29RDC-C000-4 Ring Dome tweeter from Madisound

;)

I'm getting all three of the tweeters (the north creeks are sitting here as I type) and I'll pick the best match. The mids are scans out of some old school proACT studio monitors. Picked 'em up off e-bay. I'm very eager to get them put together.
I'm on the computer right now trying to finalize plans so I can start cutting tomorrow. I picked up a sheet of 3/4" MDF this afternoon. :)

We need to talk about your wiring skilz, tho! Haha. Clean that up, boy.
Man, believe it or not, I actually cleaned up the desk area a bit before taking the pictures, LOL! :D

Maybe a miniDSP and 2 miniAMPs per speaker in an open baffle or high efficiency setup.
Yep. Per the suggestion of a friend who has built and heard them, I'm considering going with the tang band 1772 8" "full range".
Parts-Express.com:Tang Band W8-1772B 8" Neodymium Full Range Driver | Tang Band W8-1772 8" Full Range Driver full range tb speakers neodymium driver line array point source midrange home theater computer speaker center channel set tube amplifier

A guy on diyA had a very small bit of power on them and said they did just fine. Pretty high sensitivity at 95dB @ 1w/1m.
I've seen a few nice enclosure designs as well. I'd like to somewhat copy this:

If I hadn't already ordered 3 sets of tweeters for the bookshelf build, I'd probably be going that route right now. But, my first task is to build a nice set of bookshelves for the computer room to get my feet wet in home audio. I just got the gfa-2535 in today and got it off ebay for $155 shipped. If I find another at that price, I'll pick it up. This amp is a beast. :eek:

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
The best part is the fact that about a month ago we were looking around for the extra printer paper "I know I bought". I found it today. It hadn't moved, either. :rolleyes:

That's coming...
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b138/bikinpunk/IMG_8794.jpg
+
http://northcreekmusic.com/Drivers/NorthD25.pdf
or
Scan-speak Discovery R2604/8320 Ring Radiator Tweeter from Madisound
or
SB-Acoustics SB29RDC-C000-4 Ring Dome tweeter from Madisound

;)

I'm getting all three of the tweeters (the north creeks are sitting here as I type) and I'll pick the best match. The mids are scans out of some old school proACT studio monitors. Picked 'em up off e-bay. I'm very eager to get them put together.
I'm on the computer right now trying to finalize plans so I can start cutting tomorrow. I picked up a sheet of 3/4" MDF this afternoon. :)

Man, believe it or not, I actually cleaned up the desk area a bit before taking the pictures, LOL! :D

Yep. Per the suggestion of a friend who has built and heard them, I'm considering going with the tang band 1772 8" "full range".
Parts-Express.com:Tang Band W8-1772B 8" Neodymium Full Range Driver | Tang Band W8-1772 8" Full Range Driver full range tb speakers neodymium driver line array point source midrange home theater computer speaker center channel set tube amplifier

A guy on diyA had a very small bit of power on them and said they did just fine. Pretty high sensitivity at 95dB @ 1w/1m.
I've seen a few nice enclosure designs as well. I'd like to somewhat copy this:

If I hadn't already ordered 3 sets of tweeters for the bookshelf build, I'd probably be going that route right now. But, my first task is to build a nice set of bookshelves for the computer room to get my feet wet in home audio. I just got the gfa-2535 in today and got it off ebay for $155 shipped. If I find another at that price, I'll pick it up. This amp is a beast. :eek:
Looks and sounds good.

When you have a chance, talk to ItalynStalion about his Conistan (i think) horn.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I ended up ordering one of the the RevB units and the 4ch PEQ plugin for my C6 Corvette. I know I need to address a few peaks in the car's measured frequency response and the added crossover/TA couldn't hurt. I run a 5 channel system, so I'm just going to use a single miniDSP to crossover the mids/tweets and feed the channel 3/4 (low pass) into the JL500/1's input to grab subbass from the same signal as the mids. I'll use the JL highpass to complete the filtering of the mids.

The only downside is that the sub and mids will have to share PEQ bands and time alignment. But for $144 delivered, it's hard to argue. I was really close to dropping the money on an AudioControl DQXS or 3Sixty.2 until this came about. I'm actually really impressed with the software. We'll see how easy it is to tweak on the fly with RealRTA running simultaneously.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I wonder if I could cut open a usb cable and find a way to wire thise thing with remote, power and ground??? I did not see a remote input from the hard wire diagram.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Mine is not bad at all, just turn it on before your amplifiers turn on.

It's a little 'click' more than a pop, really.
Are you running the 4way plug-in? Thinking of getting two dsp's with the 4way plug-in,but I want to know can I use my sub output on my head unit to control my sub level? I sent email to Minidsp to ask them but they are having a hard time understanding my question.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Are you running the 4way plug-in? Thinking of getting two dsp's with the 4way plug-in,but I want to know can I use my sub output on my head unit to control my sub level? I sent email to Minidsp to ask them but they are having a hard time understanding my question.
I do have the 4-way plug-in.

The DSP has no affect on your sub output on your head unit and its attenuation being controlled from the head unit. You can definitely modify on top of what your head unit can do, though.

The miniDSP is simply in-line between the head unit and the amplifier.

41 - 60 of 528 Posts