DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

61 - 80 of 528 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
I do have the 4-way plug-in.

The DSP has no affect on your sub output on your head unit and its attenuation being controlled from the head unit. You can definitely modify on top of what your head unit can do, though.

The miniDSP is simply in-line between the head unit and the amplifier.
Now you got me interested I may come out to see what you working on.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I do have the 4-way plug-in.

The DSP has no affect on your sub output on your head unit and its attenuation being controlled from the head unit. You can definitely modify on top of what your head unit can do, though.

The miniDSP is simply in-line between the head unit and the amplifier.
Thanks for the info. I just got my answer from tech. support I will need 3 cards in order to control my sub level seperately from my head unit.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I think I am going to pick one up. Just wondering how you guys are powering them. So you use a USB output from the cig lighter? So you have to plug it in every time you get in your car? Just trying to clear this up, thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mine is sitting on my workbench. It took about a week to arrive. Waiting for the 8ft usb cable and cig lighter adapter. I have cig lighter in the center arm rest that only powers on when the car starts. I can run it into the trunk and power it that way

·
Registered
422 Posts
OOpoop6 How do you like it. Anything you don't like about it?
Hmm, for the price there's nothing to not like. Low voltage complaint? Line drivers should fix that.

Price aside, it needs a case of some sort. Making one is not a problem, though.

I like it a lot, so much so that I worry for the current DSP's offered out here in the U.S.:(

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Hmm, for the price there's nothing to not like. Low voltage complaint? Line drivers should fix that.

Price aside, it needs a case of some sort. Making one is not a problem, though.

I like it a lot, so much so that I worry for the current DSP's offered out here in the U.S.:(
You can get one of those hammon(?) electronics abs boxes from mouser for a few bucks. Don't know if the DSP need some type of specially plastic for EMI or RFI reasons though. Or if those boxes already protect against that. :confused:

·
Registered
929 Posts
You could try powering it on using your screen's USB. Just an idea, with a HUB of some sort.:cool:
You are genius!!! IT will work tried it out today with another unit that needs power through usb and I was able to still usb my usb drive for music woot. I got plans now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
yoooo great post. How about not having a head unit? Who needs em??? iPod directly line out directly to the DSP no big deal right? 1V rms, I believe. I honestly probably wouldn't do that.. my spider senses tell me I'm losing something. What though?

hey for the USB issue, I think this should cover you.. kindof a neat lil project..
tzywen.com - DIY iPhone Charger

Aaaannd, another reason to ditch the HU would be a custom ipod mount with this..
Amazon.com: ARKON SR088-TS-1 SatRadio Mount 15-Inch Flexible Steel Seat Bolt Mount (CM088TS1 +…

Aannd, netbooks are no longer audio slouches: Amazon.com: Tascam US-144 USB 2.0 Audio and MIDI Interface:…

Ayt that's all I got.

·
Registered
509 Posts
So I got my MiniDSP a few days ago. I got the Rev B board with the 2-way + Parametric plug in so I can run my Hertz comps actively with more control than my deck can provide.

Spent a few hours tearing everything apart and putting the MiniDSP inline. What a pile of JUNK!
First, the supplied RCA's are crap, the ends pulled right off.
Second, with my deck (Alpine 9887) pegged and my amp (Arc CXLR-4150) pegged, there was barely any output and the input meter of the DSP was hovering around -50.

I was trying to figure out what the hell was going on when, POOF! The audio just stopped. The computer still had a link to the board, but was no longer registering input signal even though my deck was still playing full bore.

I reset the board, restored the board but nothing, NADA. What a waste of $140.....:mad:

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
So I got my MiniDSP a few days ago. I got the Rev B board with the 2-way + Parametric plug in so I can run my Hertz comps actively with more control than my deck can provide.

Spent a few hours tearing everything apart and putting the MiniDSP inline. What a pile of JUNK!
Second, with my deck (Alpine 9887) pegged and my amp (Arc CXLR-4150) pegged, there was barely any output and the input meter of the DSP was hovering around -50.

I was trying to figure out what the hell was going on when, POOF! The audio just stopped. The computer still had a link to the board, but was no longer registering input signal even though my deck was still playing full bore.

I reset the board, restored the board but nothing, NADA. What a waste of $140.....:mad:
Could the board have shorted against something?

·
Registered
509 Posts
ok, made a little progress.

I got the board to recognize input again. Somehow. All I did was disconnect everything and then plug it all back in.

Using RCA input is still worthless though, so I did a little experiment. I put RCA's on the ends of my speaker outs and plugged it in. VOILA! works WAY better.
One thing though, for whatever reason (I'm assuming it's a common ground vs floating ground thing) you can only use the + speaker wire, it you use the - you get a bad hum in the speakers.

I used an Audison setup disk with 0db pink noise to set the input on the board. Ended up with the deck pegged at 35, I set the input level at -5, and it sits just below the red area.

I honestly think if one is planning to use RCA's then the Rev A board might be the way to go since it is for much lower voltage levels.

I have to say this isn't exactly as plug n play as I was hoping, but it seems to at least be functioning now.

·
Registered
139 Posts

It sort of sounds like a setup or levels problem, a 4v deck into a 2v processor with the volume cranked should have clipped like crazy and given you all sorts of nasty output, but it should have given you lots of it. I assume it's also about 2v output which should drive the amp to high volumes even if you would have to up the gain to get there.

Perhaps you got a defective board, have you tried troubleshooting with minidsp to figure it out? Or did you just give up and toss it?

·
Registered
139 Posts
One other thing minidsp wasn't able to answer for me was where the signal ground was referenced. This could cause problems with your deck depending on how you are powering the minidsp. Do you have an ipod or other source that has an isolated power supply (battery) that you could use to just test the unit. In your setup where does the minidsp get it's power from?

·
Registered
511 Posts
On the low voltage thing. Are you saying that if you hook your head unit direct to your amps it is louder then when you go through the dsp. Like the dsp is some how lowering the output voltage.?

·
Registered
509 Posts
I had the deck RCA's directly to the amps previous to this. No problems. Gains on the amps at maybe 1/2 or so. At these settings 25 on the deck is LOUD.

When I go Deck RCA out > MiniDSP > Amps RCA in , the input meter on the computer shows around -50ish with the deck at 35. With the amps at full gain, there is very little output from the speakers.

When I go Deck Speaker level out > MiniDSP > Amps RCA In, I get full signal at the boards input meter. This is with the deck at 35. I then set the boards input to -5 to avoid a clipped signal.

I am using a 12v socket USB to power the board when it isn't hooked up to the PC.

I have not called MiniDSP about this yet, I'm just trying to get it in workable condition and reassemble my vehicle.

61 - 80 of 528 Posts