DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

101 - 120 of 528 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
i still dont think it would work with my intended set-up (4 way full active) coz the two boards would configure like this:

1 for the left channel
1 for the right channel

so if thats the case 1 board would have the graphic eq plug in, and the other board would have the parametric plug in.

correct me if im wrong though coz im not that technical.

chris b
You would still have to double the amount of boards and put a pair in series... IE 4 boards, two for left, two for right, one left/right would be graphic, and one left/right would be Parametric.

This would come in at ~1/2 the price of an MS-8.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You would still have to double the amount of boards and put a pair in series... IE 4 boards, two for left, two for right, one left/right would be graphic, and one left/right would be Parametric.

This would come in at ~1/2 the price of an MS-8.
ahhh now i get what youre trying to say. seems feasible enough. but too complicated for me :) but im pretty sure that one of these days, minidsp will have an upgrade version of their plug-ins where both parametric and graphic can be loaded on a single board :) il just wait for that.

chris b

·
Registered
139 Posts
ahhh now i get what youre trying to say. seems feasible enough. but too complicated for me :) but im pretty sure that one of these days, minidsp will have an upgrade version of their plug-ins where both parametric and graphic can be loaded on a single board :) il just wait for that.

chris b
I'm sure your right, it's probably related to DSP processing power right now. Give it a year and they will probably have double/triple or more hardware power available or more efficient code.

I'm sure something new will be out before we know it.
I'm curious to see where they go with the pluggins.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm sure your right, it's probably related to DSP processing power right now. Give it a year and they will probably have double/triple or more hardware power available or more efficient code.

I'm sure something new will be out before we know it.
I'm curious to see where they go with the pluggins.
me too. im just worried about the noise issues that may arise as mentioned by erin.

we better get into the minidsp band wagon before they jack up their prices then!!!

chris b

·
Registered
139 Posts
me too. im just worried about the noise issues that may arise as mentioned by erin.

we better get into the minidsp band wagon before they jack up their prices then!!!

chris b
Once I get my hands on a couple of these and if they sounds good (IE comparable to the PXA/BitOne/etc.) I will look at developing a power supply/line driver/enclosure to augment it's capabilities, and make it easier to install for car audio use.

All these USB power adapters scare me from a purist point of view.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Once I get my hands on a couple of these and if they sounds good (IE comparable to the PXA/BitOne/etc.) I will look at developing a power supply/line driver/enclosure to augment it's capabilities, and make it easier to install for car audio use.

forgot to post a similar question i sent to minidsp regarding power supply. here is their reply:

Question: how can you power the minidsp without using the usb power slot? is there any other way we can just "hot wire" this processor?

*Answer*: Please check the manual because all this is clearly detailed. You can connect it to the external DC supply input.

havent studied the manual yet though

chris b

·
Registered
2,298 Posts

I just bought a pair of Jensen JT-10KB-D transformers for line output conversion to integrate into an OEM deck. There's a lot of potential for these little boards in a car audio environment.

I'm curious to see the creative solutions people come up with.

·
Registered
139 Posts
forgot to post a similar question i sent to minidsp regarding power supply. here is their reply:

Question: how can you power the minidsp without using the usb power slot? is there any other way we can just "hot wire" this processor?

*Answer*: Please check the manual because all this is clearly detailed. You can connect it to the external DC supply input.

havent studied the manual yet though

chris b
Taken from the Datasheet for minidsp:
Power supply USB powered OR 4.5~24Vdc input via header

But just like anything audio the powersupply is just as important as the rest of the electronics, this goes for everything! decks, processors, amplifiers etc.

I personally don't see a usb power adapter in the lighter socket plus a 8-12' usb cable being the "best" solution.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Actually, regarding the post above about the # of boards required for a 4-way active setup with both graphic and parametric eq's, I believe you would only need 3 boards. The first would be stereo, 2 channel (using the GEQ-31 plug-in, bypassing all xover functions). Then, this stereo pair would run down and be split to the other 2 boards, each running mono, and using the superior xover options in the PEQ plug-in. I was considering running this very same configuration, but have since decided to go another route for my car.

I hope this information helps...

·
Registered
509 Posts
ok, so ignore my rant and rave from before. Everything is now working. I can drive the RevB board just fine from the RCA outs of my deck, but it is true that a line driver will be necessary for most people after the DSP.
Mine sounds fine right now, but I had to peg my gains and I now have a very audible noise floor.

My thanks to the guys at MiniDSP for their prompt responses and willingness to deal with a complete moron.

For my power supply to the DSP, I've done this:

I had bad turn off pop that actually toasted one of my Hertz HT25 tweeters so I made a simple turn off delay to solve that problem:

If I had to do it again I may have gone with a slightly bigger cap, but this one delays it enough that the pop is gone; roughly 1.5 seconds.

Next thing to overcome was a faint, static-like popping in my speakers. This was solved by grounding the RCA shields in the DSP. It didn't seem to matter if I grounded the inputs or the outputs, either way eliminated the popping.

Last but not least I had to move my RCA's about a foot away from the door sill and my noise is now 90% gone and I can concentrate on tuning now.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Cool I'm glad that it worked out ok. Please explain grounding the RCA shields. Yea I'm gonna order a timer relay right now.

·
Registered
509 Posts
On the DSP board, where you plug in the RCA's, I just soldered a ground wire to one of the 'outer' parts of the plug. I believe all the shields are common, so I just picked one - static gone.

Don't know if this will be an issue for other people or for those who go the non-usb power approach, but it was for me.

·
Registered
511 Posts
On the DSP board, where you plug in the RCA's, I just soldered a ground wire to one of the 'outer' parts of the plug. I believe all the shields are common, so I just picked one - static gone.

Don't know if this will be an issue for other people or for those who go the non-usb power approach, but it was for me.
Thanks great info.You Just made my life alot easier.:)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hey guys, stupid question here. If I were to use a miniDSP after the output of my Realtek HD on-board audio card, would I want the Rev.A?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Actually, regarding the post above about the # of boards required for a 4-way active setup with both graphic and parametric eq's, I believe you would only need 3 boards. The first would be stereo, 2 channel (using the GEQ-31 plug-in, bypassing all xover functions). Then, this stereo pair would run down and be split to the other 2 boards, each running mono, and using the superior xover options in the PEQ plug-in. I was considering running this very same configuration, but have since decided to go another route for my car.

I hope this information helps...
i still think it's a bit more complicated than it should be. i think 2 boards are enough. just get the 31 band eq plug in and wait for then to release an upgrade which im sure they will. if not then i will beg them to do it hahahaha.

chris b

·
Registered
41 Posts

What did you ground the rca connectors to? The chassis or another device?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Crap! I must be somewhat illiterate. I bought mine along with the "4way PEQ Crossover" plugin and I just realized that it IS NOT stereo despite the presence of two input channels. Luckily, I think all I need is a different plugin to run a stereo 2-->4 crossover and PEQ setup such as the "2way PEQ Crossover". Duh. At least I'm only out $10. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
511 Posts
Crap! I must be somewhat illiterate. I bought mine along with the "4way PEQ Crossover" plugin and I just realized that it IS NOT stereo despite the presence of two input channels. Luckily, I think all I need is a different plugin to run a stereo 2-->4 crossover and PEQ setup such as the "2way PEQ Crossover". Duh. At least I'm only out $10. :rolleyes:
Yeah you need two cards to go stereo.

101 - 120 of 528 Posts