DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

161 - 180 of 528 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm sure this has been covered, but it's a tad bit confusing looking at the website. If I wanted JUST a 3-way active xover, what would I need?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I actually emailed the MiniDSP Dev Team the other day, here's what I asked: (being careful with my english, as I was unsure of their english abilities)...

Here is the response I got:

Needless to say, I was quite surprised that something like I inquired about was not already in 'the works' seeing as the MiniDSP can do what I asked of it quite easilly.....and in my mind, just makes sense as a next step in their plugin creation evolution.

Hopefully others will ask for the same and I can finally pull the trigger on ordering up a pair of these to play with.
thats exactly what I want for my system! front l/r, center, rear l/r and sub.

·
Registered
271 Posts
This miniDSP will work great with the MS8 for fine tuning each channel as a 3 way crossover. The MS8 will consider the delay in the DSP and everything will line up. You can adjust latency by a little when you consider how you place the 3 way component.

so, 1 channel from MS8 -> miniDSP -> (3 or 4 way) to amp -> (3 or 4way to component speakers)

repeat for the other side of the door.

awesome!

NOTE: adjust delay to each speaker after the MS8 does time alignment...to make time alignment more accurate, use fullrange, then replace with 3way and delay each speaker accordingly with miniDSP.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I gotta look into this, I'd love to be able to tune the t/a on every tweeter and woofer separately.

And that is just way too much digital/analog conversions. You need deck with digital out -> anything with digital in -> MiniDSP -> amp with digital in :D

·
Registered
997 Posts
guys, don't worry about multiple conversions anymore.

It may have been an issue 10 years ago. But nowadays, even middle-of-the-road data converters for audio have about the same sonic degradation (noise, distortion) as a typical audio opamp. So ... unless you're counting opamps in the signal path, and have calculated the SNR you're willing to accept ... don't worry about multiple conversions either.

I wouldn't have said this a dozen years ago. Hell, maybe not even 6 years ago.

But times have changed. The best converters for digital audio are now several orders of magnitude better than human hearing. Even average ones perform stunningly well. Don't worry. Trust me.

Now, it's a fair question to ask about the specs of the converters on the minidsp boards. Maybe somebody can post up a part number, and we can google a data sheet. OR ... we can look at the SNR specs of the minidsp products.

·
Registered
577 Posts
^^the nerves of those newbs. Hahaha

·
Registered
563 Posts
Okay, to be clear it would take two of these guys to run a three-way active front stage? And that would allow for individual time-alignment, 31 bands of EQ each, and selectable slopes? I feel ripped off after buying an Audiocontrol DQS.

I don't know if I like the 2v signal though. My Eclipse stereo has 8v outputs...

·
Registered
177 Posts
So I have a simple setup, not wanting to be too complex but I do need some processing and would love to start learning on my own. I just run one 4 channel amp, 2 Bridged to my sub, and the other 2 channels are split to my passive crossovers.

If I am looking at this right...then I can just get the one mini DSP in the alum box with 2 input RCAs and 4 output RCAs. Then the 4 output RCAs from the mini DSP get split for the inputs on my amp with 2 for my sub channel on the amp (rear) and 2 that go to my crossovers (front).

I understand the rest with the plugins, I just want to make sure I'm thinking about the setup practically in my head. I'm a newbie so I dont want to screw something obvious..

·
DIYMA lurker
802 Posts
Not sure. I'm open to suggestions. I read a thread about midbass arrays and I don't have the room for it. However, I have plenty of depth in my rear door locations.

PM me if you want to talk about midbass ideas.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I was thinking about for the L-R surround channel. Using the 10w amps they had, I was looking for something with a ton of efficiency (which I erroneously thought wideband had), which would require a bunch of drivers and more than likely not be the best choice. Maybe something like the Tang Band W4-1805S might be more appropriate.

While my default preference is to mount NOTHING in the rear doors, I don't really have an opinion on what you should put there. I have been around the Speakerworks folks who have successfully used rear/side mounted midbass, and I've read the articles about multiple midbass locations along the 'cone of confusion' here. I have not had a lot (any?) of success with using rear side locations, but I think the problem is me and my lack of experience with digital time delay. That and I started doing this when such a device didn't even exist so your only choice was to get the path lengths right, which is still my primary choice.

What has changed my mind is the stock stereo in my 2010 GMC pickup uses the rears in what I assume is a L-R configuration as an image enhancement device, but they go a step further and use it for tonal balance to augment the midrange. While far from perfect, the truck sounds pretty good with far from optimal positions and absolute garbage drivers.

Which makes me scratch my head over why my wife’s Toyota sounds so bad, even with a 701. My working theory is I have no idea what I’m doing in tuning it.

161 - 180 of 528 Posts