DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Wow this is awesome! I am getting close to installing my new 8x12DL and I can't tell you how thankful I am to have this guide! Makes everything less intimidating and hopefully takes some guesswork out and will expedite the process. In the long run, I will probably tinker, but I suspect this guide will get me up and running more quickly. Massive thanks for the effort!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've read through the document, it is clearly written and seems easy to follow. I will be a good test case I suppose.

I did have one question about HPF for sub channel. As I understand it, one is never applied. There is mention not to place the left-hand curtain too far below the tuning frequency of a ported box, but as far as I understand, the curtain is not a HP filter. How is the sub protected if there is no filter applied?

·
Registered
243 Posts
:oops::oops::oops:

I just finished my first successful Dirac tune and WOW. I am impressed and excited! I didn't think it would go so well on the first try. Detail is the best I've heard in any of my systems to date, imaging is good and the stage is huge. I am hearing more resolution in songs I've listened to hundreds of times on many different stereos. Vocals sound more real. Midbass has more clarity. High hats sizzle above my head like a sonic veil (no exaggeration - it's incredible!) and it sounds like there is a kick drum inside my engine bay haha. I can't wait to continue messing with this technology!! I'm doubtful I'd ever be able to get a tune like this manually.

Side note: one thing I find weird about the 8x12DL is that the sin sweeps are fed directly from your computer to the DSP, never passing through the head unit. As such, any coloration in your system upstream of the DSP is not accounted for.

I want to give some feedback on the Guide here too. Overall I found it strikes a good balance between completeness and conciseness.

My front stage is 2-way, just midbass and tweeters, so I adapted the guide accordingly. In the Dirac Channels Configuration step, I used "Small/Bass Managed" for the mids (step 4fii) since neither woofer nor midrange seems appropriate. Not sure how much of a difference this makes. I think it would be useful to remind users here to set unused channels to Unsued in this step since Dirac will error otherwise.

In step 5diii, it could be useful to be explicit about what meter should be monitored to hit the -20 to -25dB target. In this case I think it's the mic gain's meter.

When loading the target curve in 5gi, it would be useful to add that the target curve should be applied to All Groups.

Setting the curtains is a little subjective and some users may find some more guidance by example useful at that step. Same goes for selecting crossover points.

·
Registered
243 Posts
@ExplsvCookie257 That sounds like it would work. In my situation, I have a digital signal through my head unit to the CDSP, so I assumed the signal from my laptop to the CDSP is similar to the upstream signal I normally use. Judging from the results I got with the tune, I think it was a reasonable assumption. I may adjust my target curve slightly, but I think the phase and time alignment and all that are (y)

That said, there would be a different problem if one were using a stock head unit with RCA or high level out into the CDSP. Most modern stock head units have preset EQ and some have time alignment too. So you'd have to incorporate that part of the signal chain somehow or the whole Dirac process would be worthless.

I initially connected the headphone out from my computer to RCA in on my head unit, assuming that would be how signal would reach the CDSP. I realized I was wrong when volume did not change output level.

·
Registered
243 Posts
i realize this might be looking a gift horse in the face, but any chance anyone might make a how-to video on these processes?
I vote miniDSP or DL does it. This community already handed them a magic workflow. No joke, it was only once I saw this guide that I decided to go through with the purchase. The whole EQ-every-driver workflow sounds awful.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts