DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

181 - 200 of 457 Posts

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Imo. The Helix could sound just as good but only with some other programs like TDA and Arta and others to get all the info needed and then you'd need to do all the phase adjustments frequency by frequency. And on and on and on.

But with Dirac. You can tell it what you want your curve to look like, then it eqs both amplitude and phase to get there. If there is a peaky response anywhere that you can still hear. You can bring it down in the Dirac curve without worrying about how its gonna affect phase.

Eqing in Helix or any IIR based processor is all a balance of adjust magnitude then fix phase then fix magnitude then fix phase. Ect.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
IMO the Helix can absolutely sound as good, you just have to be prepared to spend a lot of time to get there.
Time for sure, and a certain level of understanding and experience. I would add, a little aptitude for programs like it would be good, too.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
IDK, there is the sharpening of the impulse response Dirac Live does which, AFAIK, no other 12v product except maybe the APL units can do.

Reactions: DavidRam

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
IDK, there is the sharpening of the impulse response Dirac Live does which, AFAIK, no other 12v product except maybe the APL units can do.
^Good point^

(APL) the French Waveflex, and any other FIR based unit should be able to do it using something like the FIR designer S/W.

As I recall with the MiniDSP at least a year ago, or more... one is nit able to get the FiR taps out of the unit.

One would need to be able to load the taps into the DSP to impliment their own version of a Dirac filter.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Its for 1 reason. Dirac does it better faster. I can spend 2 days in a car. Listening and tuning and Dirac can literally give me a tune 10x better in 20 minutes

It basically does FIR super accurate eq across the whole spectrum and does all pass filters and phase adjustment and time alignment in 20 minutes. Its stupid good.

Maybe you should just get a marketing job with those guys, you've almost convinced me to upgrade my 8x12.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Maybe you should just get a marketing job with those guys, you've almost convinced me to upgrade my 8x12.
It was Oab's spaceship comment that convinced me to buy it.

It also helps to be a single childless guy with *whispers* disposable income.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Right?! If I wasn't sold before, I sure as hell am now... :laugh:

·
Registered
515 Posts
I would be very hesitant to say that the mini DSP with Dirac can give "anyone" an expert quality tune in 15 or 20 minutes. It isn't quite sophisticated enough to fix problems in the subwoofer and midbass overlap without some knowledge of fixing it yourself before you run Dirac. It also doesn't set your crossovers for you. Give it to someone with little tuning experience and the results would be unpredictable.

That being said, it will give pinpoint imaging and sound stage depth that is very difficult to get by even expert tuners if set up correctly. And it will do that without the ton of EQ work that woukd normally be required.

I would also disclose that in my own experience that the unit I installed was very buggy in the beginning. It gave me fits for a couple of weeks until I did a hard reset.

I like it well enough that I just recieved a second one for my other car.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I would be very hesitant to say that the mini DSP with Dirac can give "anyone" an expert quality tune in 15 or 20 minutes. It isn't quite sophisticated enough to fix problems in the subwoofer and midbass overlap without some knowledge of fixing it yourself before you run Dirac. It also doesn't set your crossovers for you. Give it to someone with little tuning experience and the results would be unpredictable.

That being said, it will give pinpoint imaging and sound stage depth that is very difficult to get by even expert tuners if set up correctly. And it will do that without the ton of EQ work that woukd normally be required.

I would also disclose that in my own experience that the unit I installed was very buggy in the beginning. It gave me fits for a couple of weeks until I did a hard reset.

I like it well enough that I just recieved a second one for my other car.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
Well the initial discussion was how it compared to the Helix and in that department in install knowledge needed. The Mini Dl, i believe, has a far lower ceiling.

It definitely helps to use the 10 band along with Rew to keep electrical and acoustic crossovers the same and to fix crossover roll off to match each other.

It also helps to use Rew to see any issues in over/under lap of crossovers. You can still get excellent results without doing those things. I'd consider those intermediate skills that can be learned fairly easily quickly. Call it the "tips" of Dirac.

I do agree with the glitchiness. I needed to do a firmware and hard reset and i have had some issues with All my Mini units ( 6x8 as well) with them not saving Eq or having Eq on even when it turned it off...which is highly annoying.

·
Registered
18,489 Posts
IMO the Helix can absolutely sound as good, you just have to be prepared to spend a lot of time to get there.
I banged out a tune at finals on a friends helix in 45 minutes that placed 3rd in his class...

Tuned my car tonight in 15 minutes flat, and i'd be confident to compete with it right now. The auto eq feature in the helix software is to a T spot on with REW and takes minutes to do a full Left/Right EQ tune

·
Registered
18,489 Posts
what is sharpening of the impulse response?

·
Registered
743 Posts
Haha I'm sure you know what he meant Nick. Sharper transients.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,489 Posts
Haha I'm sure you know what he meant Nick. Sharper transients.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No I really didnt. Trying to understand what it does a bit better and thought that may have been a coined term

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
No I really didnt. Trying to understand what it does a bit better and thought that may have been a coined term
No they just used a known concept and applied it.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Basically... The FIR filter corrects both REW and phase.

I don't think that the gating would work... the reflections are just too close in time.

If you have a piece of paper 3 feet long , and there’s a line drawn extending from foot 2 to foot 3 of the paper. You than take a pair of scissors and cut off the first foot of paper. How much of the line is left? And how much of the line did you cut off? (Rhetorical)

How does a FIR filter correct a RTA program?

Rhetoric aside, I’ll try n dig up some reading material for ya ;-)

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Not sure if you've visited their website to investigate but this is from Dirac's website:

Attachments

Reactions: SkizeR

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
And here are some before/after decay spectrographs from the gearslutz forum:

Before Dirac:

After Dirac:

181 - 200 of 457 Posts