DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

201 - 220 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
It was Oab's spaceship comment that convinced me to buy it.

It also helps to be a single childless guy with *whispers* disposable income.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Yeah who doesn’t like the thought of a mystical flying machine that can telepathically communicate with your brain. The intimate audio experience is sound being beamed Directly into your brain with no speakers.

The 8x12DL comes to mind when I think of such phenomenon. So it’s fitting
:laugh:

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
If you have a piece of paper 3 feet long , and there’s a line drawn extending from foot 2 to foot 3 of the paper. You than take a pair of scissors and cut off the first foot of paper. How much of the line is left? And how much of the line did you cut off? (Rhetorical)

How does a FIR filter correct a RTA program?

Rhetoric aside, I’ll try n dig up some reading material for ya ;-)
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-measure-phase-properly-at-home-using-rew.7273/

Here’s one that move gets the idea
I skimmed a little through it, looks fairly decent
Thanks!

If the sound is bouncing around the room, then the gating for sample-set(N) will still pick up reflections from an earlier sample-set (N-1, or N-2...)
I think?

There is some chin scratching...

An autocorrelation should show a comb if the reflections are high.
Then the inverse of that comb could be used to remove them if the mic was fixed.
Obviously it seems like a problem with a moving mic as well as frequency geting shifted around.
[/STROKESBEARD]

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Thanks!

If the sound is bouncing around the room, then the gating for sample-set(N) will still pick up reflections from an earlier sample-set (N-1, or N-2...)
I think?

There is some chin scratching...

An autocorrelation should show a comb if the reflections are high.
Then the inverse of that comb could be used to remove them if the mic was fixed.
Obviously it seems like a problem with a moving mic as well as frequency geting shifted around.
[/STROKESBEARD]
So yes and no.... so a FDW is only valuable at frequencies worth using it on. Even close mic measurements are only good up so high as the speaker shape will interfere..etc

In the midrange and lower ish (arguably where we want the best phase response) a FDW works in the regards as a comparison. Adding FDW isn’t going to show us a whole lot unless we have something to compare it against. You compare it to the un-gated responce to see the differences. Those differences will suggest what is or is not behaving in a minimum phase manner. You have to think of it like the line analogy I gave

1. The closes distance to you and the sound is the direct path.

So if you cut off the time span you will begin to see what’s happening. It’s showing more of the direct sound vs reflected sound.

If your FDW cuts off 75% (let’s just say for argument) of the reflections you can see comparing it to the ungated version what is doing what. You can make a good correction based off those comparisons. Than you add the envelopment time and GD and Extract the minimum phase and remove all excess phase
You can really nail down what is happening.

Of course a close mic measurement will be faster and take far less mathematical formulae. However the algorithm Dirac seems to be using I don’t think gets “that” far into it. If you can correct the big issues and get all the phase within even 22.5 degrees your ears are going to love it. You can’t hear small tiny changes.

The “sound” will bounce around no matter what. That is always going to happen. A filter can’t stop a reflection. It will always be there. When it comes to what sounds better , pulling the phase back so that reflections that hang around too long are now at least more in time with the rest of the spectrum, it can lend to better overall sound quality. How that reflection is addressed is where a lot of debate is. This is the brilliance of Dirac live and how it address different reflections. It doesn’t try to fix everything. It’s goal is to have the transfer functions on left and right match. It may leave the reflection it may not. Whatever promotes a symmetry I think is what it’s main goal is.

But originally I said, more than likely it uses FDW as a part of its information gathering to give us a correction filter as it’s not having us do any close mic measurements. Some type of FDW would have to be employed to come to any conclusion about the room given its measurement taking process. I would also assume it uses many more tools to come to any conclusion.

When I was saying about the line and paper , the answer is all the line is left and none of the line was cut off. Using a FDW work basically the same way, if there’s some artifact of a previous cycle reflection in that it’s anplit would be much smaller and maybe not affect it very much. It depends of the windowing you apply. It’s a bunch a math and you can get a FDW that works well for target frequency and distance from direct sound. You can get tho a pretty dang good idea what is happening in the room using a FDW. Good enough to make a sober correction that is meaningful

Edit: and no one is moving the mic . It should be stationary at each measurement point.

I was speaking of the average responce of all the measurements matching the peaks and dips of a moving mic pink noise average with plain old rta.
Again comparing . Compare your DL avg response with a manual moving mic pink noise average and see if dips and peaks in same general spot.
Find the mic positions that reflect the same peaks and dips in the averages to match. Than the calibration will have a more better tonality, and better overall FR. Better meaning more accurate.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Hi guys. We just finished a move, so I haven't installed or setup my new unit yet. I'm hoping to do it next weekend. Before I do, I wanted to ask a preliminary question about the equipment setup.

Do I need to have an audio out from my Macbook in order to play test tones from Dirac? It sounds like Dirac plays it's own test towns in order to set itself up. Hooking up a USB mic is no problem. If I have to also set up an audio out... how are you going about doing it? Now that I think about it, I'm not even sure if my Sony head unit has a line in.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Hi guys. We just finished a move, so I haven't installed or setup my new unit yet. I'm hoping to do it next weekend. Before I do, I wanted to ask a preliminary question about the equipment setup.

Do I need to have an audio out from my Macbook in order to play test tones from Dirac? It sounds like Dirac plays it's own test towns in order to set itself up. Hooking up a USB mic is no problem. If I have to also set up an audio out... how are you going about doing it? Now that I think about it, I'm not even sure if my Sony head unit has a line in.
The Dirac bix sends its own signal out.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Update on running the Dirac plug-in on Mac: it crashes.

I have a support ticket in and will update you guys. My wife let me use her Windows work laptop tonight, but now we're back to asking her if I can use it any time I want to try something. The DSP also erased itself when I connected to her laptop after originally configuring it on my Mac. It doesn't take long to configure, but that was a little disappointing.

I did my sweeps with the chair setting, sub off, and time-alignment off (I didn't remember the time-alignment settings since they'd been erased). The image is really good! I wonder if it's even worth setting time-alignment individually for each driver?

Also did full-range sweeps. Aside from muting the subs, I did the sweep with the mid-bass, mid, and tweet all playing together.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Personally, I would just buy a cheap Chinese $200 touch-screen 2-in-1 Windows 10 device and just use it for tuning. Even though I have faster Windows laptops with bigger screens, I love the portability of an 11.6" Chuwi 2-in-1 Windows 10 device that I had sitting around. I use it for REW and will use it for my Helix DSP.3 after I get it installed. I also used it for HPTuners on my other car. For the price, it's a nice-to-have - especially if you don't have any other Windows 10 devices. :)

I'm not sure what Chuwi is still making (I bought mine a few years ago), but for the price, they are very nice devices. Definitely not speed demons, but they have an all aluminum case, detachable keyboard, etc.... I have a few different versions Chuwi Hi10 Pro, Chuwi Hi10 Plus, Chuwi Hi12, Onda Obook 11 Plus, etc (I have quite a few as it was kind of a hobby of mine). Even something like an Asus T100TA - you can get them used on Ebay for like $75.... It's all plastic, but it'll probably do the job (I'm not sure how resource intensive the Dirac Live software is).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Personally, I would just buy a cheap Chinese $200 touch-screen 2-in-1 Windows 10 device and just use it for tuning. Even though I have faster Windows laptops with bigger screens, I love the portability of an 11.6" Chuwi 2-in-1 Windows 10 device that I had sitting around. I use it for REW and will use it for my Helix DSP.3 after I get it installed. I also used it for HPTuners on my other car. For the price, it's a nice-to-have - especially if you don't have any other Windows 10 devices. :)

I'm not sure what Chuwi is still making (I bought mine a few years ago), but for the price, they are very nice devices. Definitely not speed demons, but they have an all aluminum case, detachable keyboard, etc.... I have a few different versions Chuwi Hi10 Pro, Chuwi Hi10 Plus, Chuwi Hi12, Onda Obook 11 Plus, etc (I have quite a few as it was kind of a hobby of mine). Even something like an Asus T100TA - you can get them used on Ebay for like $75.... It's all plastic, but it'll probably do the job (I'm not sure how resource intensive the Dirac Live software is).
Why did you give me this idea? WHY?

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
This is just a post to explain for everybody how the config saving works on the miniDSP 8x12DL.

When you save a config to your computer from the Plugin, it creates a file which contains all of the Plugin settings from the current Config slot which you are in. So, if you are on Config 1, then you will get all of the Bass Management, Dirac Inputs, Mixer Routing, Gains, Delays, Polarities, PEQ and Xover settings for Config slot 1.

At the same time, your computer gets "registered" with the 8x12DL box so that the next time you connect that same computer to the 8x12 it will be recognized.

When you connect the same computer to the 8x12, open the Plugin and click on Connect, the 8x12 will recognize your computer and open the Config without needing to Synchronize or Restore.

If, however, you decide to use a different computer to connect next time, the 8x12 box will not recognize it and you MUST Sync or Restore the config file or else the DSP will wipe itself to factory defaults.

Therefore, if you want to use multiple computers with your miniDSP 8x12, you will need to make sure that your saved config files are available to both computers. I personally do this by saving my config files in Dropbox which is shared between all of my computers.

Here is the procedure for opening the Plugin with a new computer so that you do not erase your DSP:

1. Make sure you have saved your DSP Config file using the computer that tuned it.

2. Close the plugin and disconnect the computer.

3. On the new computer, connect the USB, open the plugin but DO NOT click on Connect yet.

4. In the plugin, load the Config file from the saved file. Once the config is loaded you can press the Connect button.

5. When the window prompt appears, click on Synchronize config. This will push the config from your Plugin to the DSP.

I know this process is stupid and annoying, but this is just how the miniDSP works. I already wrote a tech support ticket to them and told them this is not how a DSP should work. The DSP memory should stay the same regardless of which computer connects to it, and the config should push to the computer when we click on Connect. Tech support replied that this was not possible with the 8x12 because of "too much data." I frankly think this is a BS answer, but it's what they said.

I also recommend that people keep a saved file of the Dirac config in a folder with their Plugin config file. This is what I do:

I will make a folder named "Config 1"

Inside that folder I will save the Plugin config file, and also save the Dirac file after I have clicked the Optimize button.

By doing this, I know that I can always have my Plugin and Dirac configs together in a safe place in case they need to be restored.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Thanks brother! This was huge for me when you told me about it. Currently switching from the Mac to work with the Plugin, and then the ASUS for Dirac is now workable by using Dropbox and the process of structuring the folders as you suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
297 Posts
Why did you give me this idea? WHY?
Because I *love* spending other people money! ;-)

If you have issues finding a suitable device for the right amount of $$, let me know. Like I said, I have quite a few of them laying around and I'd be glad to let one go to another forum member for a great price. Most of the ones I have actually dual-boot Windows 10 and Android 5.1, which is kind of cool too. Unfortunately, Android is not upgradable, so they're stuck on Android 5.1, but it's still nice to have if you have some app that you need to use Android for instead of Windows. That way, you can have one device for everything....

The only "unknown" is if they are powerful enough to handle DiracLive. I've never used it, so I have no idea what kind of processing power it requires. While Windows 10 actually runs really well on these devices, they are slow compared to more expensive laptops.

201 - 220 of 222 Posts