DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 352 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Thanks for writing this up Erin, mirrors my experience with the DL and also gives me a couple things I should try with mine next time I feel like messing with it.

You can buy the 8x12 or the 8x12-DL straight from MiniDSP. If you have or buy the 8x12, you can pay for the Dirac upgrade.
And if you are upgrading an 8x12 to the DL, the upgrade is very simple.

·
Registered
137 Posts
So does anyone have any videos or screenshots of using this software? Even if it doesn’t have the Dirac software? This review really peaked my interest in the minidsp but I literally can’t find anything about the software and there is nothing to download unless you purchase a unit.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well there's a website

https://www.minidsp.com/products/car-audio-dsp/cdsp-8x12-dl

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Yeah I'm well aware of the product page. What I'm saying is, most other DSP programs you can download and try in a demo mode. With MINIDSP, I don't believe that's available. I was wondering if anyone had taken any video of them tuning, configuring, or a tutorial of sorts.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Yeah I'm well aware of the product page. What I'm saying is, most other DSP programs you can download and try in a demo mode. With MINIDSP, I don't believe that's available. I was wondering if anyone had taken any video of them tuning, configuring, or a tutorial of sorts.

Pm me ur email

·
Registered
1,721 Posts

Videos of tuning process for this would be sweet.. Asking a lot though.

I'm considering getting one too, but still chewing on just how easy/or difficult the tuning process actually is.

I haven't touched my tune in about 18mo, and its fairly good (for what I'm capable of). Getting reved up to tune again would be the problem for me :), I admittedly suck at it.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts

I'm considering getting one too, but still chewing on just how easy/or difficult the tuning process actually is.

I haven't touched my tune in about 18mo, and its fairly good (for what I'm capable of). Getting reved up to tune again would be the problem for me :), I admittedly suck at it.
Bruh. Its worth. Every dime. And its superrrrrr easy to tune. We were all just figuring it out before.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts

Also its a lil tricky because the software has to both be hooked up to the internet and to the device to work properly.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Bruh. Its worth. Every dime. And its superrrrrr easy to tune. We were all just figuring it out before.

I'm gonna see how things develop over a couple weeks on this and the other thread (and the one on the mini forum that I haven't kept up with lately)..

Also I have to sell some of my hoard before buying one ;).

Thinking about tuning again kinda makes me wanna :cry: though. Lol

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
I'm gonna see how things develop over a couple weeks on this and the other thread (and the one on the mini forum that I haven't kept up with lately)..

Also I have to sell some of my hoard before buying one ;).

Thinking about tuning again kinda makes me wanna :cry: though. Lol
Its really easy to use. If you would like. i can write like a quick run down of how to tune it.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Its really easy to use. If you would like. i can write like a quick run down of how to tune it.
Sure, if you don't mind. Thanks

·
Registered
398 Posts
I don't know if this one is helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVQhI7fPank&t=1188s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMQtE9NYfK8

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I upgraded my 8x12 v2 to DL in June. I've tried 4 different tunes with it and have not been fully satisfied. Up until this weekend I had only used the time delay Dirac calculated & combined that with a manual tonality tune... I could never get a full tune utilizing Dirac to sound tonally pleasing. But, I will say that just using those Dirac calculated delays (which were much different then delays by distance alone) with a manual tonality made a big improvement in cohesion between drivers.

This Saturday, I worked on a complete ground up tune fully utilizing the Dirac live correction. Like Erin, I ran it through in multichannel first to obtain delays & levels which I plugged in to the output tabs and then ran it again through a 2ch Dirac (L/R). Unlike him, I spend a couple hours pre-tuning basically doing some broad stroke EQ & adjusting xover filters on the outputs and to get all drivers roughly following individual driver target curves I had generated with Jazzi's spreadsheet. The results were glorious!

Yesterday, I competed in the MECA NE 4x with that tune. It was the first competition for which I was not in my car for 1-2hours, before being judged, waving a mic around my head to make last minute improvements because it didn't sound "just right". The full Dirac tune was that good! I placed 1st in Mod-Street (3 competitors total) & 5th out of 19 in the money round. My drivers are in stock speaker locations - midbass in doors, mid in dash corners bouncing off windshield, tweeters in sails, trunk baffle sub.

Possibly the first car utilizing Dirac Live in the competition circuit?

It eliminated the midbass nulls I had that eq wouldn't touch. Playing by themselves: Left had a deep half octave 12db null centered at 160hz; Right had a deep half octave null centered at 180hz. These nulls combined to a 10db half octave null around 170hz. They are all gone!

Now that the groundwork is laid, it's literally takes 5min to change the target curve, re-optimize and load it into a new preset. I'm in love with this thing!

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Congratulations!! That's awesome. I think some of us are starting to now really tap into the potential of the DL unit's and figuring out the best way to utilize them.

Quick question for you, since if I remember correctly you have a single subwoofer. How are you assigning the sub in the Mixer / Routing tabs in order to get the L/R tune?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Congratulations!! That's awesome. I think some of us are starting to now really tap into the potential of the DL unit's and figuring out the best way to utilize them.

Quick question for you, since if I remember correctly you have a single subwoofer. How are you assigning the sub in the Mixer / Routing tabs in order to get the L/R tune?
Thanks Ian!

Yes, I think it's really coming together now. I'm considering writing up a little tutorial.

For the multichannel (7ch) Dirac config: Dirac7 was routed to Output 8 (Sub) in the mixer tab.

Then for the 2 channel Dirac config: Inputs 1/2 (L/R) were routed to Dirac1 & Dirac2 which were then both routed together at 0db to Output 8 (Sub) in the mixer tab.

My amps input switch is set to only use L input for the bridged channels which is coming from Output 8 on the DSP.

I did not transfer the gain (-13.5db) for the sub channel to the output tab from the results of the 7ch config optimization. I tried it with that gain but sub level was too low... so I tried again keeping it at 0db and sub level was perfect.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Yes, I think it's really coming together now. I'm considering writing up a little tutorial.
I know a lot of people would LOVE this.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Yes learning what pre and post tuning is important with Dirac live

And everyone’s cars will be a little different , one car may need a small level ajust on maybe a left mid turn down by a dB or two, and post tuning is mostly all just fine tuning levels never any eq work, at least for me.

Dirac will “undo” some of the “pretune” you have and it’s all wasted coefficients and added filter ringing at that point. So knowing what needs pretune is part of the curve in learning. And So knowing what to expect after every trial it gets better. The nice thing is it’s only a few try’s and you get it.

For anyone that’s on the fence. It takes a few go’s at it. Once you get the hang of it and know what it’s doing that only a couple times will teach hands-on your cars will be amazing. And Dirac will grow on you and quickly become something you won’t want to live without. There’s a psychological process definitely as some of your old tunings may be what your used to and like more. But that is temporary and going back to your old tuning will reveal that this really is better than what you could do on your own.

21 - 40 of 352 Posts